Author Topic: Broad beans  (Read 1417 times)

Squashmad

• Half Acre
Broad beans
« on: April 28, 2008, 13:41:56 »
The Broad Beans in my polytunnel have just started flowering and I'm keen to start harvesting pods as soon as possible. However, in the past lots of the early flowers dropped off - I presume because they weren't pollinated.

Does anyone have any tips for ensuring pollination. I'm planning to put French Beans in there in the next week - so don't want the doors wide open.

thanks in advance,
Carole

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: Broad beans
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 13:55:37 »
Make sure that bees have easy access.There are not many about yet and because the weather is still poor it is a temptation to have doors closed.

I know that ony one of the four hives near my plot has a colony, probably due the virus that has devastated the countries bee colonies.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_Broad_Beans.html

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 14:06:48 »
oh good, a broad bean thread that I can hijack! My overwinterers have got their first pods - how big do they have to be before harvesting? some of mine are about 15 cm long and about as thick as a thumb (a lassie's thumb).
As you can tell I have never eaten or grown broad beans! Also they have aphids on them :( how will they affect the production?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 14:58:19 »
Hi Antipodes,

Harvesting your pods - depends how big you like the beans(?) anytime from now I'd say if you can feel formed beans in the pod. You can eat pods whole when they are very small, but I havent tried it myself.

Are the aphids black? If so the best way to get shot of them is to pinch out the tips of the plants (at top) - if the plants are at full height - and dispose of them.

Carole

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 15:49:33 »
what is considered full height? Mine are about two feet tall.
one of my neighbours suggested a vinegar wash. Has anyone heard of this?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 15:51:58 »
Not heard of a vinegar wash, but it wont hurt to try. I use washing up liquid diluted and spray the blighters. But pinching out I believe puts more energy into the bean production.

Im sure I will be corrected if Im wrong ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 16:10:19 »
I was told to snap off the tops when covered in blackfly and thats what I have done for the last few years, then at the weekend I was talking to one of my fellow lotties and he was showing me how he twists part of plant off because its the bit that attracts the blackfly, its sort of like in folds, has anyone any info on this. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 16:16:44 »
I work on five sets of flowers then remove the tips.

Some say this is a waste because the beans can reach 6-8 sets of flowers, which is true!

But what I found was that after 6 sets the chances of an aphid attack increases so I would rather guarantee 5 sets rather than risk more.

I also think (although I have never proved it) because I have less sets, the sets that do set, are larger and fuller, so in the end I get a satisfactory crop.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 17:43:34 »
My Aquadulce Claudia are just coming into flower, Cosso Violetto are just germinating, and Crimson-Flowered are still in the packet. I never pinch them out, and I don't think it affects the crop. What seems to do it is the extent of pollination.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal