Author Topic: Gardeners World Allotment  (Read 32107 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Gardeners World Allotment
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2008, 22:08:14 »
I think he gets bashed a bit unfairly myself. As I've said before, he can write well when he stops being commercial. He has done some good programmes (like Real Gardens) when the producers have given him the chance. I think we should blame them.

Tony Williams

« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2008, 12:39:36 »
Hi all.
I think you are all being a bit harsh on GW and Joe. You all sound like experienced allotmenteers but are you the one's the show is aimed at or newbies? If its too basic you are not interested but if its more what you are looking for then begineers will not be interested. You can not please all the people all of the time.
However for me it was very interesting (as it is to read a lot of your comments as to how much effort goes into what you do) as i was considering getting an allotment myself. You all seem sceptical of the free help he has received, I can't say for sure that the free bark and compost is normal but surely someone would expose GW if it were not and other allotment owners would bombard the local council with preferencial treatment complaints (ok ok i know it goes on with councils but for compost??) As for the free wood, well by sheer coincidence the local DIY store had just carried out a major refurb and was clearing lots of stuff that was...well just old and not really saleable. I know this to be true as I live nearby and got some bargains myself (not free granted, I'm sure the mention of BBC helped with that, but he did say he was lucky and not to expect the same)
The other thing that caught my interest was I recognised the area the allotment was situated, narrowed it down to where it was and popped over on Sunday morning to have a look, and guess who was there? Yep Joe and about 5 or 6 others....just filming. There looked like a couple of kids also but may or may not have been on the same plot (they looked like they were gardening/playing). It's probably not fair to reveal exactly where the plot is just in case in case somebody thinks it is funny to vandalise it. Anyway it looked like it was just Joe working as they filmed, I may go and have another look one evening to see if i can catch any helpers ;-)
On the whole I think you should cut GW a little slack here, at least they are promoting allotments.If they showed all the pitfalls who would take it up?
As for the diamond beds, well he's a designer for gods sake, what did we expect?

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2008, 13:18:31 »
I think the point is that if it's aimed at newbies it should be realistic, and given when it's showing it probably should show him taking advice - otherwise lots of other newbies will take on allotments and expect loads of free stuff and no perennial weeds.

Incidentally a group have taken on the plot next to mine and cleared and rotovated. I thought they were doing a marvellous job getting so much dug over and planted, and was beginning to be a bit jealous, until I went up yesterday and saw the weeds sprouting like it was weed festival in weedtown. I suspect Joe's may look similar in a few weeks' time.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2008, 18:24:48 »
I'd like Bob Flowerdew to do it, he's just the best. Especially when he slightly terrifies me with his matching pink gloves and hairband. I really like his alternative views and ways of doing things.

Maybe its just me but I find a lot of the presenters on GW a bit boring. I'm so glad Titchmarsh is gone.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2008, 20:08:43 »
If we are into discussing presenters, who remembers when Alan Titchmarsh used to interview Fred Streeter 40 years ago on what was then the BBC Home Service (now Radio Four) and would say crass things like;

"I have bought a new fangled rotovater and I thought that I would rotovate my new weedy allotment."

Fred would then say: "Bless my soul young man, you mustn't do that or you will get weeds everywhere, and more of them!"

They don't make them like that any more!

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2008, 22:30:12 »
I'd like Bob Flowerdew to do it, he's just the best. Especially when he slightly terrifies me with his matching pink gloves and hairband. I really like his alternative views and ways of doing things.

I'm with you Sawfish.  Huzzah for Bob!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2008, 23:27:46 »
me and the wife visited bob's garden in norfolk in 2006, a real treat and inspiration, if you read his book on no-work gardening, most of images are from his garden. i felt that i knew my way round, from owning book!,
rgds, tony
You couldn't make it up!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2008, 08:55:31 »
I think there are to many presenters on GW you only need one..........a new one!

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2008, 10:07:39 »
Can it forever, way past its best.

Those who learn anything from it now, will probably be equally involved with the test card, or teletubbies.

As for the head gradener bird, is she care in the community?
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2008, 12:50:33 »
As for the head gradener bird, is she care in the community?

She can come and care for me any day.  :P
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2008, 23:20:06 »

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2008, 23:48:12 »
There may come a time when Joe might pay someone to help him privately, (I’ve done it on the odd occasion as unless you are retired it’s impossible to spend as much time as you need to keep it in check), but that’s his business.

Wonder if the good folks on the waiting list would agree.

Defeats the whole object. If you can't give it the time, give it up.

Sounds all wrong to me on so many levels.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:36 »
Thanks for that link,simon- interesting!

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2008, 11:05:55 »
Cheers, I found the link to it from Garden Monkey's site, where there's also this

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2008, 11:16:00 »
There may come a time when Joe might pay someone to help him privately, (I’ve done it on the odd occasion as unless you are retired it’s impossible to spend as much time as you need to keep it in check), but that’s his business.

Wonder if the good folks on the waiting list would agree.

Defeats the whole object. If you can't give it the time, give it up.

Sounds all wrong to me on so many levels.

I do not see a problem with getting help now and again if you need to.
Not worth getting your knickers in a twist about it :D

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2008, 16:56:14 »
Cheers, I found the link to it from Garden Monkey's site, where there's also this
;D ;D ;D ;D both links very interesting I shall try to be more charitable and yes ,it is the first time I,v watched GW in ages
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2008, 19:03:20 »
I am very upset.

I am just about to go out and my DVD recorder has stopped working. I shall have to wait for a few days until Gardeners World appears on the BBC web site.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2008, 21:58:00 »
I watched it and thought it was good.

I think it will mainly appeal to people who are starting out on an allotment.

I like Joe and do not want to criticise him to much but I thought he should have explained how and why you chit potatoes,also he did not explain about earthing up or protecting from frost.

IF he gives a little lesson as he does each thing it will be much more useful.

It was nice to see the children involved and I thought the mini triangles were great

Be more informative Joe. :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2008, 22:14:08 »
much better tonight if they could just cut CK out then i would be happy hubbie has to leave the room her voice just annoys him hehe

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2008, 22:16:45 »
Im still loving it :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal