Author Topic: Lanky-Leggy Lettuce  (Read 9498 times)

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
Lanky-Leggy Lettuce
« on: April 02, 2008, 15:11:56 »
I germinated a good bit of cut and come again lettuce in the last week and a bit and somehow the most of the seedlings have become very tall indeed.

So tall that they cannot stand upright..........whats going on?

One thing I thought that contributed was that I 3/4 filled the container and that the seedlings were stretching up over the last 1/4 to the light. That said, they are certainly not short of it.

Any ideas? It was a mixed bag of seeds. No idea of varieties but this has never happened before.

Thanks in advance!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Lanky-Leggy Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 17:06:35 »
 ??? is the growth below the tip where the leaves start?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 17:10:24 »
Is it possible the potting compost is too rich?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 17:14:25 »
too close ?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 19:15:15 »
I would guess it is too warm.

After germination lettuce requires to be grown quite cool 40°-45°F (4°-8°C) but no lower! and variety can play its part.

Most of the summer varieties grow quite soft/ limp at this time of year, so better to grow a winter variety.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 21:31:28 »
I agree with teegee, too warm, I left some in a heated propagator too long last year and they went LEGGY as anything. I grow mine in coldframes now and they are much better.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:19:01 »
Aha!!! That's why the Little Gem lettuce I put in seed trays for my grandmother appears to be indestructible! Time for it to leave the shelter of the greenhouse and fend for itself me thinks!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 13:09:42 »
Wow, glad I read this one today.

Mine would've ended up with 20°c if I'd not caught this.

Only 4°-8°C seems crazy for such fragile looking leaves.

Thanks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 13:25:37 »
Don't understand the 'winter variety' bit? I'm sowing Little Gem type now.

And Lettuce don't normally like heat to germinate.
Warmth? And, as much, low light.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 07:01:41 »
What I meant there, of course, was that low light is as much to blame for lankiness.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 13:05:58 »
Don't understand the 'winter variety' bit

I believe they have been bred with short day length  & poor light in mind Tim, plus I would guess lower temperatures.

I don't bother growing them !!.......... too much hassle plus I would have to grow them in my hibernation period  8)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 13:08:35 »
  8) Costa Brava??

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 14:10:52 »
sigh... i tried again to sow lettuce in trays indoors but like this poster mine have gone all leggy and floppy. They are a Doree du Printemps butterhead variety.
Should I try potting them on anyway?
perhaps I should just give up and do plug plants?? I don't know why lettuce never works for me...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 15:11:24 »
sigh... i tried again to sow lettuce in trays indoors but like this poster mine have gone all leggy and floppy. They are a Doree du Printemps butterhead variety.
Should I try potting them on anyway?
perhaps I should just give up and do plug plants?? I don't know why lettuce never works for me...

Hi I know nothing about anything but if it were me I would try potting on and bury them deeper so they stand up on their own,you ain't got nothin to loose but lots of lettuce to gain
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 16:27:02 »
I always have trouble with lettuce, too- people talk as if it's the easiest thing in the world to grow but the only success I've had is when an allotment neighbour gave me some plants. I'm convinced that it's because they are fussy about temperature and don't like to be too hot or too cold! Having said that, I've sown some in a coldframe a couple of weeks ago and they are looking quite happy so far. Fingers crossed!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 09:54:26 »
... Having said that, I've sown some in a coldframe a couple of weeks ago and they are looking quite happy so far. Fingers crossed!

That's how I have done mine and it works! I sow a couple of seed trays in Feb, chuck them in the coldframe and use them as cut and come again when they are big enough and transplant others to bulk up. It takes a while at this time of year (or at least when I do it in Feb) but as the daylight improves and warmer temps it will be much quicker.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 12:05:11 »
I was amazed at this: My loose leaf lettuce has been growing outside in a raised bed all winter with a cold frame over it until January. I pick the outside leaves. Then I had to move the coldframe  in January but since the lettuce was planted in the ground I couldn't move the plants. Instead I propped an old window over it. The sides are open to wind etc but the lettuce has done fine with this minimal protection. I've fertilized it periodically which seems to have perked it up a bit. Temps have dropped into the 20s F at night sometimes and we've had some day's in the 60s- quite a swing- but hasn't bothered it!

Will take a picture and add to this post today. Interesting what works sometimes.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 20:18:15 »
I was amazed at this: My loose leaf lettuce has been growing outside in a raised bed all winter with a cold frame over it until January. I pick the outside leaves. Then I had to move the coldframe  in January but since the lettuce was planted in the ground I couldn't move the plants. Instead I propped an old window over it. The sides are open to wind etc but the lettuce has done fine with this minimal protection. I've fertilized it periodically which seems to have perked it up a bit. Temps have dropped into the 20s F at night sometimes and we've had some day's in the 60s- quite a swing- but hasn't bothered it!

Will take a picture and add to this post today. Interesting what works sometimes.

the lettuce is a loose leaf reddish type supposed to be cold hardy and is
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 20:21:04 by GrannieAnnie »
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 22:57:32 »
looks good GrannieAnnie!  ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 14:41:53 »
I've been sowing mine outside for the last month or so and it all seems to have germinated fine. I wouldn't bother with doing it indoors unless you're starting very early or are quite far north.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal