Author Topic: Lose weight with us here!!!  (Read 43725 times)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Lose weight with us here!!!
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2008, 16:05:58 »
THE FINAL WORD ON NUTRITION
After an exhaustive review of the research literature, here's the final
word on nutrition and health:
1. Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
2. Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
3. Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks
than us.

4. Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart
attacks than us.
5. Germans drink beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer
fewer heart attacks than us.
CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you. ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2008, 19:09:29 »
 :D ;D Ha! Ha! Fork, thank you for posting that, really made me chuckle

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2008, 19:50:01 »
I don't think he was joking actually!! :o :o :o :o

Only kidding ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
Lose weight with us here!!!
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2008, 20:50:56 »
Hi all,

Mind if I join in too?  I won't be able to start until after 11th April (serious exam next week - and there is no point in making a commitment that I know I won't be able to keep).

Thanks for starting the thread Jeannine (and good luck with the weight loss) - it's certainly encouraged me to make the decision fix a date to start to lose weight. 

PS
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 20:55:09 by purple sprouting »

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2008, 21:53:08 »
Nice lunch,
 Tuna in brine (drained)
 Diced peppers, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, mixed with a small amount of low fat mayo and put in a tub  :)
 Or...
 Pitta pocket filled with salad and chicken or lean ham.

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2008, 21:55:10 »
ooohh i am not doing very well the last couple of days  :'(. i seem to go through good and bad spells with regard will power.  not a good spell at the mo though.  yesterday i had two packets of crisps and a couple (ok -four) mini cream eggs. and i dont even know why!! when i am good i can avoid these things easily.  but when its a certain time of the month my will power is zero.  gggrrrrrrrr

If the bad stuff is at work, then you have my sympathy - it really is very hard. If it's at home, what's it doing in the house to start with? No excuses.

But, if you are going to have it. Realise what you've had, account for it, and eat less for dinner/lunch etc.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2008, 22:52:02 »
Late checking in today so thank you to everyone,

a couple of points..

Atkins diet, the tons of veggies and lack of carbs are ok, but they advocate you can eat as much fat as you like.. any amount.. that is where the problem lies, so if you want to put 4 ounces of butter on your  asparagus, and have bacon, egg, fried mushroom etc every day, with fried chicken(no coating) it is OK,

Sound wonderful but a body can't take that for very long.

Someone said baked potatoes, warmed up, that would be so yucky for me, I couldn't eat a warmed up baked spud if my life depended on it. I don't like toppings on baked spuds at all actually, I can eat a plain one, hot and fluffy out of the oven if the spuds are good but I rarely eat themnow as the potato varieties here are just not fluffy enough for me.

Apart from reheated frozen soups I hate left overs, I have to cook fresh every day.

I don't eat out for the same reason as many things are re heated frozen stuff so restaurants are not a problem for me.

I have done my best today but have only had a little home made soup and a slice of dry bread today. the level of pain I am in is not helping, but I guess as I am very inactive just now it is perhaps a good thing I ma not eating much.

I have been getting so much inspiration from this thread though, everyone seems to be giving such good advice, and I think it is great that so many folks are feeling supported by the thread.

Well done to those of you who have got off to a good start, it just shows you what a great bunch of folks there are here cos everyone is cheering  all of us on.

Keep it up gals, and thank you to the cheer leaders too!!

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2008, 23:43:33 »
Yeay!  Just been to Weight Watchers and lost 1.5 pounds!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

So I went to the chippy!!!!!!!!!

What I hear you all cry!!!!  It was a special treat as I got to a goal!!  I set myself goals and target losses and then I get to eat what I want for one meal!!!  My Weight loss since January is now 20 pounds!!!!  So I had chicken and chips!  Strange though how having not had that much grease in a while your taste buds change.  Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought so the cats helped me with the chicken.   So what is going to be my treat for my next target?  Not the chippy!

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2008, 00:02:32 »
Absolutely fantastic, well done! Hope the cluck was free range though?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2008, 01:37:24 »
 ;D

Well done all the losers! Great to be able to say that, just wish I was one of them! Re: The Atkins Diet, try Googling Gary Taubes or The Big Fat Lie. It's an interesting take on Atkins, seems to be worth thinking about?

???

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2008, 10:33:35 »
My reward , if I reach my 1 stone goal in 7 weeks is:

A pair of Red Shoes - I'm so excited!!

Kathi
Kathi :-)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2008, 11:11:47 »
The thing with Atkins is that lots of folk just do the protein and the fat and it's not surprising they get ill/ don't lose weight. Plus eating anything excessively isn't a good idea.

For me Atkins involves loads of vegetables, a bit of meat/eggs/fish and butter cream etc to add flavour, but again not in excess.

I miss bread, potatoes, pasta  and rice all of which I love. Also fruit which is very limited on Atkins in the early stages. I don't really miss the sweet stuff since I don't have a sweet tooth. I really miss the wine but the occasional dram is allowed.

I haven't done Atkins for years but when I did my energy levels were hugely enhanced and the weight just dropped off.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2008, 11:19:48 »
as I,v said before I wiegh on a friday cuz I have been doing this on another forum (over 50,s only) since tne begining of january. I had remained the same for the last fortnight so was very pleased that I have lost a further 3lb  ;D
this makes 24lb in 3 months(app2lb a week) which I feel is a healthy amount
in my opinion eating sugar is worst than eating fat :o sugar is very addictive and leaves you wanting more where as small amounts of fat turn into energy
I feel all this low fat stuff is a bit of a con as they add  more sugar to make it taste nice and it makes people come back for more thinking it,s healthy
hope thesre thoughts help someone and yes I am feeling a bit smug at the moment ( losing wieght has this effect on me I,m afraid)
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2008, 11:32:19 »
Keep going at it - get your excersise routines habit before the main part of summer comes. When it gets really hot you will already be fitter and can carry on rather than only just starting in exhausting heat.

I teach martial arts and a few people are just there for fitness so I understand how important it can be.

make a plan that works your whole body - not just waist inches! Losing weight can be fine but should be done healthily.

Keep eating what you grow of course - doesn't get much better.

Get some Mr Motivator spandex and shout 'and hur and hur' - ok maybe thats just me then.
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2008, 12:12:32 »
Oh dear, I stepped on the scales this morning and I have put 2 pounds on, not feeling very good about that but I guess there is nothing I can do about it.

You are all doing just great

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2008, 12:46:27 »
Well done to Theothermarg - that's brilliant!

shaolin101 - me in spandex is not a sight i ever want to see!! But I love your ideas ;D

Jeanine, don't lose heart - we all have good weeks and bad weeks, ups and downs, just keep on with whatever you were doing in the good weeks

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2008, 12:53:35 »
Well done to everyone - I've not changged weight at all, so I suppose that's good news as I've not put any on ....  ::)

Jeannine - be careful you don't knock the setting on your scales, and make sure they are flat on the floor. My weight varies on the scales, depending on which set of bathroom tiles they are sitting on!!!   ;D

pamsdish

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2008, 15:16:33 »
hi all
 fell at the first hurdle,found 2 :o large pork pies lurking since last sat at the back of the fridge,o my oh and i shared one for supper and we will have the other sat,i know it sounds weak but i cannot throw food away,

i am much better if i start on mondays and i can stock up on low cal goods tomorrow, although i must admit i always buy low cal if theres an option.but i am low on salad type goods for lunch an if its cold next week i need to get veg  suitable for homemade soups.

also i must get the mind (can`t spell psychy ??) in the right frame
  having oven cod with new pots and green beans tonight will give the sauce a miss and try and save a few cals

a good site for cal counting also carb fat content etc is www.fitday.com

love to all pam

pamsdish

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2008, 15:19:03 »
abject apologies forgot to turn off the underline

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2008, 15:47:27 »
I have been reading this but can't remember if anyone has mentioned this.  Measure yourself.  Thighs, calves, hip, waist, bust, upper arms, even neck.  Write is down then once a month, do it again.  Sometimes you won't see pounds off on the scales, then measure yourself, you may well see inches off your waistline.  I go to weight watchers and have lost nearly 2 stone and one of our teachers mantras is if you don't loose on the scales, go home and have a measure.  Good luck everyone.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal