Author Topic: Lose weight with us here!!!  (Read 43532 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Lose weight with us here!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2008, 16:36:46 »
I have just seen this thread and I too would like to join in.  I have been overweight since having my children 30+ years ago.  Prior to that I was 8stone 3lbs for years.  Since then I have tried all sorts of diets but the weight just goes back on. 

I was getting to grips with my weight last year and found I lost a stone just by bringing forward my last meal by a few hours.  Unfortunately, I then had to go in for a total knee replacement operation and the weight has crept on again since then.   :(

These past two months have seen an upward spiral and it coincides with the purchase of my breadmaker and a change of medication which has seen my pulse rate fall to 45.  I always thought it was low at 60!  I have now tipped the 15 stone mark.    :o

I don't eat processed foods and cut the fat off meat.  I try to avoid cheese and chocolate as those are my main weaknesses.  I don't have biscuits, cakes or crisps and eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.  Like others on here though I am partial to a glass of wine. 

I am going to Cornwall next week so don't know whether I will be able to lose any weight as I will probably drink wine every night with the excuse that I am on holiday.  Hopefully I will get plenty of excercise as I will be with my young grandchildren.

I think this thread will be a good way of giving support to each other as we fight the battle of the bulge.   ;D ;D

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2008, 20:31:57 »
i had my weigh in today.
over easter i did put on 3 and a half pounds.this week i really stuck to it and lost a 6 lb ;D ;D ;D
bing the toatal loss for me of 11 lb

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2008, 20:33:18 »
well done thats brilliant  ;D

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2008, 20:37:04 »
I've had friends who've done atkins and I found they had bad breath and terrible wind!!!  Not a very sociable diet!!!!   ::)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2008, 20:37:19 »
Right,starting from tomorrow...too late today now ;D.....Im going to get my aris into gear and get some of this good living off.

Im not going to tell you my starting weight because its shameful.

I need to get "jogging"
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2008, 23:59:27 »
Well John went off to post some letter and came back with a treat,,fish and chips! I had said I had forgotten to take stuff from the freezer .I was good though, I ate the white of the fish, no batter at all and 2 chips. so I think I was legal.

Welcome again to the latest club membersXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2008, 02:29:20 »
i really stuck to it and lost a 6 lb ;D ;D ;D

Well done  ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2008, 09:59:30 »
I was good though, I ate the white of the fish, no batter at all and 2 chips. so I think I was legal.

Sounds legit to me - showed great restraint. Well done.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:01:37 by Barnowl »

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2008, 10:14:54 »
Only lost 1.5lbs this week, haven't really felt up to excercising, but determined to lose at least 2lb this next week

Kathi
Kathi :-)

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2008, 10:22:48 »
Well John went off to post some letter and came back with a treat,,fish and chips! I had said I had forgotten to take stuff from the freezer .I was good though, I ate the white of the fish, no batter at all and 2 chips. so I think I was legal.

Welcome again to the latest club membersXX Jeannine

on the slimming world diet you can eat fish from the chip shop batter removed of course and its no sins.even though its deep fryed.
good on you.

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:01 »
Only lost 1.5lbs this week, haven't really felt up to excercising, but determined to lose at least 2lb this next week

Kathi

well done.
keep at it .dont get disheartened  by sayig its only 1.5 ib .thats really good.
i hope in two weeks time to have my stone badge ,i have 3ib to go to get my stone

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:17 »

Kathi

well done.
keep at it .dont get disheartened  by sayig its only 1.5 ib .thats really good.
i hope in two weeks time to have my stone badge ,i have 3ib to go to get my stone

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2008, 10:26:51 »
Good on you Wiltshire lass, keep it up, it does get tough at times, but it must be worth it in the end, to be slimmer and fitter! :)
    Just checked, and I've also got 3lbs to got to my 1st stone loss - Good luck to us both then

Kathi
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:29:54 by prink13 »

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2008, 11:17:55 »
Our local "chippy" will happily poach any fish if you dont want the batter...they get quite alot of takers too.....their poached salmon is to die for!

Kathi.....1.5lbs is fine...they say the best way to lose weight is to do it slowly.

I once joined a well known slimming club and lost 7lbs the first week,7lbs the second week and in 13 weeks I lost 2 stone 19lbs.....but then I got too cocky,thought I could stray now and again and guess what....everything went to pot and I put the weight..plus more...back on again very quickly.

Good luck to you all with your weight loss goals.....I know I need all the luck I can get.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 11:20:00 by Fork »
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2008, 11:24:58 »

Kathi

If that 1.5lbs is only fat (no lean weight - muscle/water), then that means you've restricted your calories by 5250 cals for the week, or 750/day. That's quite an achievement, and you should be proud.

2lb/week loss is the absolute maximum loss rate, as in most cases your body will turn on you. It will digest some lean muscle before fat, as reducing muscle reduces your calorie needs - ie hibernation/starvation whatever you want to call it.

Try not to look at weight loss on a per week basis. It should be a trend over time. So plot it out if you can in a spreadsheet. Google Docs do a free web spreadsheet application which is neat. You should be looking how the trend is, not how it went last week. Certainly a good week will effect the trend. Ideally you want to know how much weight you are losing per week over a period of 4 weeks or more. You'll weight different weights at certain times of days, or after different eating habits.

Tim

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2008, 11:34:56 »
Kathi.....1.5lbs is fine...they say the best way to lose weight is to do it slowly.

I once joined a well known slimming club and lost 7lbs the first week,7lbs the second week and in 13 weeks I lost 2 stone 19lbs.....but then I got too cocky,thought I could stray now and again and guess what....everything went to pot and I put the weight..plus more...back on again very quickly.

Good advice Kathy, it's so so true, you really have to be careful how much you lose.

Looking at the figures you said (although I think 19 was supposed to just be 9?), to lose that amount of weight you'd have been restricting your calories by about 1500/day. Over a long period of time, it'll work against you.

It wouldn't have suprised me that over 1/3 of the weight you lost may have been muscle mass. So that means, when you do go back to normal eating, your body requires less, due to less muscle mass, and you put it back on quicker than you ever could.

The most important thing, is to keep the muscle mass, it burns your daily calories without trying. The less you have, the less you need. Dieting too hard eats at the muscle mass, so don't do it. That's why I find it very important to keep a diary and account for everything.

Tim

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2008, 12:48:17 »
timiano, are you a slimming club leader or nutrionist? You seem to know a great deal about dieting and weight loss. We will be all be asking you for advice.  :)

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2008, 13:23:25 »
Thanks all for the encouragement and advice.

It feels about right to lose about 1.5lbs a week, up to 2lbs feels OK, I have so much to lose that it's probably OK.

I'm seeing my GP's Practice nurse ever 4 weeks for advice and a check up, and all seems well, she's quite happy to see me losing 2lbs a week, and I'll try to stick to that - and I thank you all for your advice and concerns

Thanks

Kathi

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2008, 14:22:58 »
Has anybody got any ideas for a filling but low cal snack/lunch.I sometimes run out of ideas.?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2008, 14:29:22 »
Hi, I make  a Ploughmans.

Bread no butter, (you can use a small amount of fat free mayo which I guess I will have to start buying again) lettuce, sliced tomatoes, thin slivers of red onion, small bit of chutney,I use home made but any would do, then cheese, but I use a VERY strong cheddar and make it absolutley paper thin so there is very little actual cheese.

Fat Free Philly cheese with a tiny amount of strong smoked salmon added.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal