Author Topic: Windbreaks  (Read 1366 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Windbreaks
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:52:26 »
Hi all,

In light of the recent weather (and the chickens roof coming off in the wind) I'm looking for a cheap and easy method of creating a windbreak for my overwintering veg. I didn't realise how exposed my new site is!

What I had in mind was planting sweetcorn on the windward side of the brasssica bed and then leave the sweetcorn plants where they were over the winter to provide a little shelter for the brussel sprouts that would be behind them . Thinking about this again and how thin the sweetcorn plant is is there a another plant that I could use for a windbreak (and that I could also eat  ;))

Or does anyone know of another way of protecting tall plants on exposed sites?

Cheerio.

Jon

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Windbreaks
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 13:06:25 »
Some people on our site use a row or two of Jerusalem artichokes......but be warned they need containing.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 14:16:13 »
How about some raspberries (or any cane fruit) attached to a bamboo framework,
or on wire between posts.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 14:16:54 »
Hi Jon, although you can't eat them, straw or hay bales make a fantastic windbreak, and you can use them to mulch the beds, or put in a chicken run if yoou want

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 17:51:20 »
Trouble is Jerusalem artichokes aren't much use at this time of the year. How about a hedge of something you can eat like black currants but just leave them to grow a bit more than the ones you're growing for fruit i.e. Don't prune them quite as much. If you have a solid wind break the wind blows over the top and hits the ground over the other side causing a lot of damage just where it hits. You need a windbreak that allows the wind to filter through.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 20:52:45 »
How about some raspberries (or any cane fruit) attached to a bamboo framework,
or on wire between posts.
I was gonna say that ;D    darn, need to be quicker ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal