Author Topic: BATTEN DOWN YOUR GREENHOUSE  (Read 7607 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: BATTEN DOWN YOUR GREENHOUSE
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 13:29:20 »
I'm about 400m from the beach and the rain and wind gusts have been pretty bad at times. The three fruit trees with fleece protection were blown over (they'll stay that way till the storms have passed), The other container trees are okay. I was surprised to see my Lidl cloche is still intact, maybe because of the perforated plastic? Otherwise just a day to stay indoors - I HATE windy weather  >:(.

Tricia

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 13:35:45 »
The wind seems to be picking up in Essex as well - the garden is full of flying recyling - hope the shed down the lottie is OK.

I was going to try to fit in a couple of hours this afternoon, but it's so horrible out I think I'll stay in the warm and plant some tomato seeds later.

Ann     

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 14:06:16 »
Just a wet day here in the scottish borders.  No wind for once although I get it 300 days a year at least.  We are to get the next front moving over on Wednesday.

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 14:39:18 »
We moved the shelving and all the trays of seedlings from the lottie greenhouse and brought them home yesterday, so the hallway now looks like Kew Gardens!! The financial adviser is coming this afternoon, how am I going to explain that to him!! We tied the greenhouse down (and around) with rope yesterday and put anything in pots into the shed. Popped down the lottie quickly this morning, all OK so far. Good luck everyone.

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

Miss Fenella

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 14:41:13 »
too late - the door and 2 more panes went last week in the winds.

Blummin' B&Q do not sell replacement panes for their greenhouses so now I have to source a glazier.  What faff! :(
the dandelion clocks won't strike......

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2008, 14:48:20 »
Well no damage but it's getting pretty bad down here now.  Was rocking my car earlier on. Think I'll just stay safe n sound indoors  :(
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2008, 16:04:08 »
 :-\ So far not to bad here in Warwickshire.. we have experienced lashings of wind and rain, but nothing as bad as we thought we were going to get... Just looked at an update on AccuWeather and seems that we could have winds up to 74km/h on Wednesday so guess we still have to hold our breath for a wee bit longer and hope the greenhouse will continue to survive!!
Hope others on the forum are coping OK, especially those near coastal areas where I gather the weather is awful!! Thinking of you all!!! xxx

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2008, 16:13:58 »
Got a bit rough for a while down here.

aromatic

• Half Acre
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2008, 18:25:09 »
 ;D Oh thats classic ACE, really had me in stitches... thanks for that I needed a good old laugh!!!!! xxx

Love aromatic xxx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2008, 19:02:16 »
Thinking of you all in the rough areas, wet and windy in Hull but OK. Stay safe everyone XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2008, 21:49:16 »
 :o Is that real ACE? Poor cow :'(

Same as Warks really, very calm about 4pm, even walked the dogs in the woods. The wind last night was very loud and blustery, thankfully nowhere near as bad as forecast.

I heard we're going to back down to -1 at the weekend again ::)

Aromatic........where are you all getting these cool cows and flowers from?
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2008, 22:06:58 »
were pretty much ok in birmingham wind was bad last night but i had the window on the lock but open a wee bit if that makes sense? and had my sickly child in bed with us so it wouldve and did sound 10x worse (but she had a temp so froze we were, lol!) i really want to go check the lottie 2morrow but if its meant 2 go cold and then wednesday bad again i dont think im going 2 manage it :S theres a few kids bits in a fairly sheltered spot that i want 2 move into the compo bins... the oh thinks im being silly but i guess if theyre gone theyre gone?? shame it cant blow all the flippin couch grass away tho eh? would certainly save me a job or two! crumbs oh well, guess this is global "warming" at ita best, the seasons were off last yr too, really oddly warm early on, and now cold.... aparently its a long cold winter in thailand too... (a friends thai and her dads a farmer so guess hed kno!) dont kno what this is going 2 do to our crops etc! my conservatorys starting 2 look overrrun, i guess itll be growbag city soon if the weather doesnt cheer up!!
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2008, 22:11:47 »
Well we seem to have come through today unscathed, except an epic journey to work!

I was worried that the polytunnel - a cheapy from Ebay - would be a crushed mangled wreck - but no, its still standing YAY

I hope everyone else is OK

aromatic

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2008, 23:18:34 »
 :) Hi Star..... I also managed an hours walk with my dog this afternoon.... wish we had some woods we could walk in, but did enjoy a nice tramp through some very soggy fields today.... then of course ended up having to clean a very muddy dog!!

Star, I get the various pictures from this site: -
http://www.animated-gifs.eu/animals.htm

Love aromatic xxx

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2008, 23:25:18 »
My god! here in Orgiva its blowing a gale!! greenhouse vent has blown off! can't sleep all the windows are rattling!!

aromatic

• Half Acre
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2008, 23:46:16 »
 :-\ Oh dear Biscombe.... its horrid I know when the wind disturbs you so much... my Mum puts in earplugs.. I usually put my head under the pillow... if I really cannot sleep then I make myself a hot milky drink, and then try and find something on the television to watch in the hope that it takes my mind off whats going on outside.. oh yes and turn the television up so you don't hear the wind and windows rattling... and hopefully either the wind will abate or you will be too tired soon to care and just go to sleep!! Will be thinking of you xxxxxx

Love aromatic xxx

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2008, 23:47:12 »
I have just decided. I HATE fences, particularly those made of cheap interwoven panels than make the garden look like the inside of a packing crate.

Another lot gone, meaning more mess and more upheaval in the garden. Worse it was put up in the wrong place so will have to dig up a load of plants to make way for a new one. Great! Talk about history repeating itself one year on from the last fence fiasco. :o >:( >:( >:(

Ruddy weather, ruddy global warming etc etc etc....

Give me a nice stout hedge any day.

aromatic

• Half Acre
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2008, 01:02:37 »
 :-\ Oh Garden Apprentice you have my sympathies... what a pain in the rear for you.... I have to admit our garden is surrounded by hedges, a mixture of box and conifers.. My hubby and I started the box off in milk bottles 26 years ago and now a lovely established hedge, although the hedge cutting drives hubby mad at times, but put all cuttings through the shredder and into the composter so all very handy really. Guess you want some instant privacy so fences are great for that....  I live in a park home and the site does not allow wooden fences due to the potential fire hazard they create... so we are either allowed hedges or concrete fences...

Love aromatic xxx

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2008, 10:50:43 »
We started off with hedges on both sides and a chain link fence along the bottom of the garden. However one side backs onto 3 seperate properties and as a result was very patchy and had suffered from neglect. One summer one of the neighbours decided to put up a fence on their side and without discussion with us. Consequently the fence was 'cheap and not so cheerfull' and since the old hedge remained in place was constructed on the wrong line (and not a straight one either). We then took down the old hedge on our side and replaced it eventualy with borders and a seating area. This is the section of fence that has been damage in the recent storms.

Another section of fence bordering a different property was built to replace the old hedge about 6 montha later but blew down 14 months ago. it was finaly replaced by a stronger closeboard fence last September. The opposite side borders one single property and still has its original hedge(loved by the local birds), although this has taken a battering and may not last much longer. Yet another fence is expected to eventualy replace it. :P ::)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2008, 18:11:18 »
Looks like I spoke too soon. This afternoon I found what used to be one of my greenhouses underneath a redwood tree which came down last night.

Not quite as bad as it sounds though after lots of frantic phonecalls I have arranged to borrow a 48bar chainsaw from a tree surgeon I know as my 18bar would struggle with the side branches never mind the trunk. I have also been in touch with the local saw mill who are going to send out a lorry next week to pick up the trunk & the straight bits of the thicker side branches. In return they are giving me enough treated western red cedar to build a new greenhouse all cut to size to make it simple. I have someone else who is going to come up with either a JCB or tractor to winch out the logs to somewhere the sawmill can get their lorry parked & then they are taking the smaller branches away to use as firewood. So in theory everything will be sorted by next week.

This sounds much more complicated now I have just read it back to myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal