Author Topic: BATTEN DOWN YOUR GREENHOUSE  (Read 7610 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: BATTEN DOWN YOUR GREENHOUSE
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 22:29:08 »
the husbands flying back to the UK from Denmark

:o

;) ;D

Yes hes on the plane as we speak ;) and i am sitting in copenhagen with my laptop an coffee. Sorry to hear that the weather is not good. Had a couple of MM of snow here this week but its nice and crisp. I will check my lotty on friday when i am back lucky i ran out of time and did not take the bracing bars off my shed and had not had time to put the greenhouse up yet.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 23:56:53 »
I've just driven from Brum to Newbury - and the weather was fine all the way. Worringly the temp was around 3 degC most of the way though.. It was clear all the way over on the my flight from Belfast to Brum aswell - perhaps there could be more snow then predicted...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 00:23:41 »
 :) So far weather ok.... (is this the calm before the storm!!) Must say we have had a great deal of windy weather to deal with of late.... experienced quite high winds during last week... no damage then, just had to collect a few odds and sods that had blown around .....  Hope everyone will be okay!!

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 06:57:49 »
Monday morning - how is everyone?  Everything still ok?   ???

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 07:23:56 »
very windy here in sussex..... going to get worse later when direction of wind changes its coming straight off sea at mo, no damage in garden at the mo, don't no about lotty won't go down till weather is calmer. hoping and fingers crossed. good luck all. mpg

debjay

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 07:43:57 »
Wet and Windy in York :(
Hope everyone is ok and greenhouses etc still in one piece.
Debs :)

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 07:49:05 »
terrible weather here in bedfordshire.

I am so pleased that i tied everything down that moved.

Greenhouse looks ok so far.  But believe its going to get worse before the calm.

Hope everyone else is ok?? Esp those at the coastal areas.

:)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 08:11:58 »
Relatively quiet down here in Barry, but apparently it's going to hit us about midday, thankfully nothing up lottie that could be damaged, shed seems quite sturdy - course now I've said that........ :o  but nothing I can do about it.  Weighted down what I can in garden, but I'm expecting some damage to pots.  Good luck to everyone.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 09:00:06 »
lots of people without power down south so maybe they can't post what the weather's like, hope they're all okay  :)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 09:41:28 »
Very windy with driving rain here - Southend seafront being battered by gusts of 50+mph. They say it is going to calm down a bit then get bad again!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 09:45:41 »
It is wet in mid wales today after a nice sunny weekend, no wind last night & only 6mph winds forcast for today. I guess the storms gone down south instead.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 09:57:23 »
Wet here in south Yorks ..Slight wind but nothing too  bad.
Cheers .. Jim

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 10:05:52 »
Had a very bad nights sleep on the south coast! (Portsmouth).  The noise was amazing at times

Woke up at my girlfriends to find that her heavy sun lounger/hammock had been tossed upside down and has lost its seat part.  Got in my car to find that a big branch had landed on the ground about 1 foot from the car!

Lots and lots of 'debris' in the streets as I drove her to work - leaves, branches, bin bags, bins!  The sea was very rough too.

Not had a chance to get up the allotment yet, but went down yesterday and tied down anything that moves.
Fingers crossed that it all still there...
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 10:21:36 »
Here in Nantes we had terrific winds this morning, our famous bridge over the Loire was closed and traffic was pretty chaotic. Seems to have calmed now but there will be a fair bit of rain methinks.

NOW i feel vindicated in having been lazy and not put up my polytunnel  ;D it was surely a sign from the gods to wait another week...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 10:52:18 »
Still here (just). What a night! Kept me awake most of the night so feeling a bit rough this morning (LOL). My bedroom window faces the direction the weather was coming from so got all the noise of the wind and rain lashing at the window.

Garden seems ok (surprisingly). Worst damage was to the old section of fence near the top of the garden, where 2 panels have partly blown out but should be repairable. The hedge on the other side of the garden is looking a bit drunken but should be OK as there isnt any actual stem damage. The greenhouse is A1, no glazing out or anything. Same for the trees, not even any branches down that i can see, which is surprising as they usualy shed some debris in even moderate winds.

I find the effects of high winds on the garden quite fascinating. Things you might think would be damaged or affected by it can be untouched, while things you least expect can take a battering. Very strange.

I put the lack of real damage down partly to luck and partly to good preparation. I spent yesterday morning going around moving or securing items thayt migh cause a problem. These werent things I was nessesarily worried about loosing or being damaged themselves but more the effect on more valuable things if they were picked up and blown around. I think this is the greater danger in windy weather than damage caused directly by the wind.

I was particularly pleased i moved my mini greenhouse from its usual home up close to the proper greenhouse to just outside the back door. One of the damaged fence panels was right next to where i had the mini greenhouse positioned, so i may have lost the 'mini' if I had left it where it was.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 10:56:23 »
Windy and wet in South West Essex - but not dramatically so.  I don't know if it's due to get worse.  Roads into work were horrendous because the Dartford bridge was closed and all the traffic was trailing as far as the M25 in Essex!

Last time we had bad winds, it blew down the power lines where I work and everything went off and I had to go home so keep your fingers crossed it happens again lolol.

Hope everybody is ok and not suffering too much damage  :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 11:52:02 »
http://www.isleofwightweather.com/live/

Not too bad, could be worse, stuck at home as they cancelled my ferry

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 12:26:10 »
Wet and windy in SW Wiltshire, but have seen much worse. Greenhouse still standing, but bird feeder badly beaten about, bird boxes still up where they belong, and rickety fence in need of tying down. The ground is so soggy, though, as if it had rained for days (and it only chucked it down for a few hours) - won't do any digging today.
Apparently, parts of SW Cornwall are still without power, and friends down there had some damage to greenhouse and shed. They still managed to get to work, and even caught a ferry (across the Fal).
When is it going to turn nice again? Anyone got any predictions for Easter?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 12:39:35 »

When is it going to turn nice again? Anyone got any predictions for Easter?

A forecast i have seen is for it to turn colder once this storm front has passed through. Snow for Easter anyone?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2008, 12:51:31 »
Strong winds in Cambridgeshire along with rain. Rain has now stopped but wind still remains strong.  Can't see any damage in the garden. I am reluctant to walk up garden to check greenhouse as the last time we had high winds I walked up garden and just missed being "sliced" by glass which was blown out of the greenhouse straight down the garden.
Stay safe peeps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal