Author Topic: BATTEN DOWN YOUR GREENHOUSE  (Read 7609 times)

betula

• Hectare
BATTEN DOWN YOUR GREENHOUSE
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:59:48 »
Sky have a news item this morning saying 80 mph wind predicted for sunday night and advising people to stay indoors. :o

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: BATTEN DOWN YOUR GREENHOUSE
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:06:57 »
Read what Metcheck's got to say about it! I hope they're wrong!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:41:05 »
oh heack the husbands flying back to the UK from Denmark on sunday!!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:23:39 »
I just spent an hour the other day finding all the stuff that had blown off my allotment and fixing the stuff squashed by other things landing on them from last weekend. A least the new sections of garden fence are now in so the old one won't be blowing around the garden ( except that I've keep the old panels to use at the allotment so I will have to anchor them down somehow!).

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:32:32 »
oops, we have been expecting the 30 odd year old wooden greenhouse to fall for the last few years, this could cream it, bless it it seems determined to stay up though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 13:29:38 »
Where we are (NE England) we're getting more than a bit fed up with these regular bloomin' typhoons!  They are the reason the poly cover on my lottie greenhouse is now in the bin. 

I shan't be going out on Sunday night, but it might take more than 80mph winds to keep OH home from the pub.  ;)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 16:54:51 »
Well that should see off the torn cover on the Poly!
 :-[

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 17:00:36 »
My lottie greenhouse has finally succmbed. It's a makeshift job put up by the former holder- lots of old window frames etc. Went down yesterday to find a couple of broken panes and some of the roof missing. Not sure if it was the earthquake or the wind.
And we'll be driving home over the Pennines on Sunday evening. :(

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 19:26:01 »
Toot your car horn and i will wave as you drive through

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 19:36:59 »
the husbands flying back to the UK from Denmark

:o

;) ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 12:08:09 »
More worried about other things in my garden. The greenhouse (touch wood) has withstood most storms since it was built. The real danger to it would be either the wind getting inside it and blowing the glass out or something blowing into or onto it (see below!)

The real danger of damage in out garden is either a fence blowing down, which since we have recently gotten the garden straightened out after the last section of fence blew down, would be very annoying. Worse would be a part or whole of one of the old pines at the top of our garden coming down. Every bad storm I worry about them, but until now they have withstood the winds well. However with these storms getting more and more common, each one must weaken them a bit. The next one could well be the 'straw that breaks the camels' back' as it were.  Wonderfull. >:(

If its as bad as they say it will be (and some say it could be as bad as 1987), anything could happen. ::)

Magnolia

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 12:27:13 »
I'm in Leeds and I'm wondering whether to take down the plastic greenhouse.  It's pretty well tethered to a wall and hasn't shifted much in the previous gales. 

HHHmmmmm shall I risk it?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 16:48:17 »
I dunno, it could be pretty bad. You MAY not have as bad in Leeds as the south. I tend not to argue with Mother Nature.....she's much stronger than us, and plastic greenhouses :-\
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Magnolia

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 16:59:35 »
The wind is picking up already.  I'll leave it until tomorrow and move all the pots into the shed and take the cover off.

A little effort to save it has got to be worth it.  I'd hate to lose it so early in the season.  Thanks for pursuading me. x

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 17:52:57 »
I have just been looking out at the garden and wondering what I need to do tomorrow to prepare for the big storm. My only real causes of concern are my mini greenhouse, which does have some hefty concrete blocks in the bottom of it after being blown over in a previous storm, and my cold frames. One hasnt got lids on at the moment but is quite light weght. The other is a solid wooden one with polycarb glazing and is in a sheltered spot, however I cant remove the lid. I guess all i can do with that is put some bricks on it and hope forn the best.

I dont think there is anything else to worry about, except potted plants but none are in exposed positions and if they blow over its just bad luck. I have little space under cover to store things away so its going to be a case of anchor things down as best as possible or hope they are sturdy/heavy enough not to be blown about.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 20:33:11 »
It has been very windy here in Hull already, we went to the lottie today and had 1 pane of glass from 1 greenhouse out and the old one had about 4. It will come down now I am sure, I just don't want to lost the others.

All out 100 foot long plastic covers had moved over to one side along with the stuff holding them down. Fingers crossed for them too. It was too windy today to try to move them.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 18:39:31 »
I cannot believe what is coming. It is a lovely evening here in Dorset. No wind, fer clouds and I can hear a blackbird outside singing.

And yet armagedon (or so they say) is not far away. Incredible!

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 20:26:38 »
 ??? Ohhhh dear the weather sounds horrific!! I am must admit I am also very worried about my greenhouse.... my husband tells me not to worry everything will be okay, but I am not so sure what with the high winds and hailstorms forecast!!  Guess we just have to sit tight and hope for the best......

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 21:25:24 »
We went back to the lottie today and removed the old rickety greenhouse before it blew all over the lottie, It was held together with silicone I think LOL

XX Jeannine

Good luck to you all
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 21:32:17 by Jeannine »

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 22:00:12 »
Not much wind here at all in the North East - for now...

Was much worse a few weeks ago -lost my old wooden greenhouse. Made one hell of a noise as it fell over according to one bystander!

Not sure how the rest of the country is fairing, but the winds have been pretty wild here since January really. Can't remember it being so bad - well maybe I can, but not this consistent at least
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal