Author Topic: Clubroot  (Read 4661 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Clubroot
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:44:59 »
I'm determined to grow a decent crop of brassicas this year, haven't had anything worthwhile for the last three seasons.

Anybody got any surefire methods for beating the dreaded clubroot?
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Clubroot
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 13:21:49 »
to quote Eric, he's been growing for 50 odd years, start in peat pots, grow on until quite large, all in clean compost, dig a hole, fill with compost mixed with some lime, plant in without disturbing the roots..he swears by this method, we do it routinely as there was clubroot on the bottom plots before they were bulldozed  :)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 15:55:26 »
to quote Eric, he's been growing for 50 odd years, start in peat pots, grow on until quite large, all in clean compost, dig a hole, fill with compost mixed with some lime, plant in without disturbing the roots..he swears by this method, we do it routinely as there was clubroot on the bottom plots before they were bulldozed  :)

Grow on until how large? And what size peat pots?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 16:01:21 »
well, he starts them off in jiffy's, the small plugs, plants on into 4" pots, then into the hole full of compost, they're quite big, maybe 9" tall when he plants them up, roots coming through, he does have good brassicas..oh, yes, he puts blood, fish and bone in the soil, swears by it  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 16:12:54 »
Am I right in thinking that when finally planting you have to tread them in very firmly?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 16:21:10 »
yes, and we have to stake the psb and sprouts, it's a very windy site
you can just see them here, at the back  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 18:24:31 »
Anybody got any surefire methods for beating the dreaded clubroot?

I don't think there is a sure fire way of BEATING it but there are ways to minimise it and its affects.

What Manic/Eric do is certainly one of the better ways of controlling it.

There was a time when you could get some liquid/powder treatments such as Benlate & Calomel to control it but even these gave minimal control.

I think only real control is ensure you keep to a good rotational programme, the correct pH and getting them off to a good start like eric/manic.

Another thing is and I am a stickler for this and that is; I never accept plants from other people unless I have seen how they have prepared them.

It is quite possible the kind person who gave you the plants might not be aware his/her ground/soil is contaminated meaning you can introduce the disease onto your plot from what seemed a very innocent practice.

Another thing is if you walk on to a plot that you know is contaminated be careful that your boots/shoes don't pick up soil that you carry on to your plot.

Similarly; if one part of your plot is contaminated be careful not to transport soil from this location to another area that is not affected.

Am I right in thinking that when finally planting you have to tread them in very firmly?

I never do!!

I like to 'puddle' mine in with water.

I find that this washes silt to the sides of the root ball which encourages a better root system.

I advocate if the plant has a good root system it wont fall over, whereas if the soil around it is rock hard the roots have difficulty spreading meaning the root system is not established enough to carry the plant above ground.

I find even in my quite light soil I have no problems of plants falling over and I rarely have the need to support my sprouts.

This is how I prick out my Brassicas; http://tinyurl.com/3awb32

This is how I prepare the ground; http://tinyurl.com/2hec2a

and this is how I plant them; http://tinyurl.com/yurwbc

I hope this information is of some use to you.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 21:40:35 »
I set my seeds away in fresh multipurpose compost until the plants are about 4inches or more. Next, I dig the individual holes they are to be transplanted into. Each of these is then filled with water and allowed to soak away. (Takes seconds to drain). Next - put some lime in the hole, top up with compost if required, then sprinkle some lime around the base of the plant. This appears to of worked for me....... touch wood. 

(I also remember seeing on a program last year... putting a small piece of rhubarb in the hole aids productivity. Ain't sure if this works for clubroot or something else. Not done it myself though.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 22:18:12 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 22:01:46 »
I have recently sent for a brassica that is club root resistant, can't remember which one, I will fish out the paperwork and ley you know XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 22:33:16 »
Another thing is and I am a stickler for this and that is; I never accept plants from other people unless I have seen how they have prepared them.

Been a long time since I had lotties but the message is the same.
It`s not rude to politely decline even the most well wished offer-any decent gardener will respect it and if and when you get to trust them they will still offer and take from you

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 16:10:10 »
The Rhubarb is for Cabbage root flies isn't it?
 ???

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 18:26:23 »
The Rhubarb is for Cabbage root flies isn't it?
 ???
Maybe. Dunno. Eeerrmm ::) ::) I did say I wasn't sure  what it was for........I knew it was there for something ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

powerspade

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 21:46:17 »
Rhubarb under the brassica plants  slows up the effects of club root. I`ve done it for six years now with no problems. Also in the summer when those pesky cabbage white catapillers are eating your harvest try spraying with salt water.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 21:47:48 by powerspade »

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 22:40:37 »
Many years ago an old gardening programme said that clubroot was endemic in peat based composts.  To avoid clubroot you should start your seedlings in a soil based compost. Since following this practice, we have not been troubled with clubroot.

valmarg

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 11:07:20 »
an old gardening programme said that clubroot was endemic in peat based composts. 

Mmmmm Very interesting  ???

Could it have something to do with the pH? i.e peat is acidic and brassicas require it alkaline.

I for one can see the sense in this.

Thats what I love about these forums there is always something going on to get the old grey matter working.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 20:20:21 »
Thanks for all your replies, here's my plan of action (subject to modification at whim, of course);

Grow them on in 4-5" pots until the root system is busting out

Water the area with Jeyes fluid a few days before planting

Maybe water them in with a lime solution?

Bury them deep

Lime between them after planting

Pray.......and maybe net them too.

I will probably also use my new flame gun between the rows to keep the weeds down, may help with the clubroot too.. ???

Comments?   

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 20:52:12 »
you can always use the flamethrower on the pigeons  ;D

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 21:18:55 »
you can always use the flamethrower on the pigeons  ;D

Air rifle for those...   ;D ;D ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 11:17:43 »
My goodness RofH you are certainly going after the clubroot with a vengeance, let me try and save you a bit of expense;

(subject to modification at whim, of course).
..........don't we all garden this way ;D

Grow them on in 4-5" pots until the root system is busting out

Sow them later and only grow on until they fill 3" pots this way you will save on heat & compost and more or less end up the same.

Water the area with Jeyes fluid a few days before planting

What if it rains for the following few days? put it on after planting out would be my advice.

Maybe water them in with a lime solution?

No harm in that but as you know I water in with my Armillatox/Jeyes fluid

Bury them deep & Lime between them after planting

I go along with that.

Pray.......

I'm an atheist  8)

and maybe net them too.

A must in my area.

I will probably also use my new flame gun between the rows to keep the weeds down, may help with the clubroot too.. Huh

Now theres a new innovation....growing 'cooked' veg!!  :P

Comments?

See above ;)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 00:04:57 »
There is some  cabbage seed that is advertised as club root resistant I have seen them sold as Kilaton or Kilaxy ..
I too sow my brassicas in holes drenched with a weak Jeyes solution ..
Cheers .. Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal