Author Topic: Bunnies  (Read 2379 times)

purpledaisy

• Not So New ...
Bunnies
« on: September 29, 2007, 18:03:45 »
Does anyone keep rabbits on their plots? I was perusing my allotment rule book the other day and noticed that rabbits and hens are the exceptions to the no creatures on site rule. My boyfriend thinks the rabbit exception is due to people breeding them to eat in the war - I'm vegan so I'm not planning on that!

I've always wanted rabbits, but living in a flat I've not been able to get any. Is it a crazy idea as they have no real 'role' in allotment life - unlike Chicken Tractors and other such things - and also, is it an invitation for trouble in terms of unwelcome visitors to the plot (human and animal)?

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them...

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Bunnies
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 18:12:33 »
It depends on how often you get to your plot. I'm assuming that you're vegan because you care about animal welfare, in which case leaving animals which you keep purely for your own entertainment, in a cage on their own, would strike me as a bit odd.

If you're there most days, then I'd say it's fair enough. But I don't really see the point of a pet that you never interact with (unless you've rescued it, maybe).

purpledaisy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 18:22:16 »
Fair enough...

I'm there pretty much everyday and would never, ever do anything negative to an animal 'for my own entertainment'. I know there are lots of rescue rabbits needing good homes, and as i've always loved bunnies and never been able to keep one, I was just exploring a vague possibility.

I'm guessing your vegan too? I know a few vegans who are totally anti pets, but most of us end up with a fair few rescue ones along the way.

But, rebuke taken. It's all too easy to do something that ends up being a bad choice for the animal concerned, and I'd hate to have anything suffering on my account. Probably an idea best forgotten.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 18:43:54 »
I'm not vegan, as I'm personally comfortable to eat an animal that has been humanely reared and killed as quickly as possible & without pain. I don't eat anything that has been intensively reared, and most meat that we buy is from local small farms. I have a tremendous amount of respect for vegans, as I care immensely about animal welfare and I can see the vegan viewpoint.

What I really hate to see is an animal suffer for our entertainment, or convenience. Whether we're eating it, wearing it or looking at it, doesn't make much difference to me.

I'm sorry that my last reply was a bit unrefined; dinner was on the table & I should have been a bit more polite. It wasn't meant as a rebuke - just an opinion - sorry for any abruptness! I know why you want a bunny - I'd love one too, by the way, and keep nearly getting one!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 19:06:03 »
Hiya, purple daisy..one thing a rabbit is good for on the plot, it's bedding and poo are good activators in the compost heap  ;D

purpledaisy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 20:35:33 »
OllieC - you're totally right with everything you said about keeping rabbits on plots in terms of their welfare. It would obviously be a very bad idea if they were to be left alone for long periods and not looked after - I over reacted to your message, vegan sensitivities a bit bruised.

Manicscousers - good advice. I'll keep it in mind if the bunny dream ever materialises - whether on the plot or at home.

Cheers both for your thoughts!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 10:01:34 »
Why shouldn't you keep a couple of rabbits on your plot if they are going to be looked after.You have obviously thought it out a bit to ask,  else you would have gone on  a whim and bought  some by now ..
Would advise getting 2 preferably a couple of does from same litter, that way they will have company ..
There are advantages to keeping a couple of rabbits or a few fowl on your plot .
As Manic says rabbit muck is a good manure especially if you bed them on straw and shavings ,, Another advantage is it makes you go to the plot to feed them. While you are there you will see a job that needs doing  or a weed or 2 that needs pulling out...
Disadvantages are in the winter when it is pouring with rain  or  so cold that  your locks etc are frozen up you  will still have to go to the plot to feed them.
 If you go on holiday  you will need to get some one to see to them while you are away ..
If you are prepared for all of this go for it.. Both You and your plot will benefit from it ..
Cheers Jim.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 10:08:33 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 10:16:20 »
We have two and a half allotments and we also have 2 house rabbits. Personally I wouldn,t keep mine on the allotments They are thoroughly cleaned out every day to deter flyblow. The chances of getting desease is far greater if the rabbits are kept outside.Remember this is MY opinion. If I were you I would visit the Rabbits United web site because there are lots of rabbit experts on there that will advise you as to what would be the best for the rabbits. Hope you get sorted. Think about the cost of vaccination before you get the bunnies.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

bunjies

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 23:24:17 »
hi there!

i wouldnt personally keep rabbits at an allotment, as i would be terrified of foxes, thieves and escapees.

however, if you are able to visit you bunnies at least twice per day, and able to spend time with them daily, and can ensure you have a predator proof lockable hutch and run combo, you may be able to keep a neutered pair to live at your lotty.
predator proof means no chicken wire, a solid floor or buried mesh AND a secure lid to the run. no swivel type door closures, use something that you can fix a padlock to.
in the winter you must be able to ensure the water doesnt freeze, and in summer you need to be able to check for fly strike often. flystrike can go from being eggs laid to beyond help in 8 hours!
you will need a large (6 feet is the rspca minimum i believe) hutch and a run big enough for them to run and leap in. ideally the hutch and run will be fixed together.
also i would highly recommend having somewhere in your home you can place a large dog crate with a shelf in it, so you have temporary indoor accommodation should one get poorly. if one has an attack of stasis, you aint going to want to have to go to the lotty every 2 hours for syringe feeding!
even though i dont like vaccinations, i would seriously think about vaccinating rabbits a a lotty against myxi and vhd. i have yet to see a lotty site that didnt attract wild buns to at least the boundary fence!
on the plus side, rabbit manure is ace! you can feed them the tops, trimmings and spent plants of most veggies and they are just too cute!
i dont know how much you know about bunnies, but they NEED companionship, they NEED space to display natural behaviours, they NEED a constant supply of good hay and clean water. they NEED a warm, dry, draught free place to retire to preferably dark to mimic a burrow.
if you need any advice, feel free to ask! i have a bonded group of 6 ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 23:27:38 by bunjies »
'blood sweat and tears really don't matter, just the things that you do in this garden'

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 16:11:32 »
Just to add my fourpennyworth! I don't see the point of keeping bunnies as pets on an allotment!  I just love rabbits and the last rabbit I had Flopsie had a good life - but a totally unnatural boring life for a rabbit! 

She lived in a lovely house with a run - which we moved a couple of times a week so that she was on fresh grass all the time - but I still feel guilty.  She had a better life than others that are sold by pet shops and those tiny tiny houses and runs where the animal can't even stand on their hind legs and stretch upwards or run.

I think keeping house rabbits is a reasonable idea.  But down on the allotment where they can be terrified by visiting foxes, badgers, hooligans, fireworks is I think a no no.  What would you do if they escaped or were let loose?

Off my soap box now!

Good luck whatever you decide!

Old Bird
 ::)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 19:53:31 »
Totally agree with Bunjie if you want rabbits for pets why have them on an allotment, preditors are the main thing, personally I would love to have live stock again like hen's, rabbits, sheep and pigs for my personal consumption but because of my circumstances I cannot give them any daily attention :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal