Author Topic: Salsify  (Read 2087 times)

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
Re: Salsify
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 09:15:25 »
Grew salsifies the first time this year, was really excited because we used to have them by the bucketful (actually tinned) in Germany - and they were dirt cheap then too!
Anyway my taste memories of them are: very starchy, sweetish but only softly so, not unlike Jerusalem artichokes. We had them in a white creamy sauce, with salt potatoes (and unfortunately some kind of meatballs)
As mentioned they came tinned i.e. cooked in salt water, and were about 6 - 7 cm long, and not dissimlar to asparagus, just thicker stems.
I fancied I could grow them easy, but from last February (when I sowed them) only 3 (!!!) plants survived my poor soil in Brighton. I took them up and put them in a big container, where they were growing away happily until I got too curious and dug them up. They had loads of arms and were a pain to peel, and I didn't have much left, so I decided to nuke them for a few seconds: they came out crisp and extremely sweet (and nothing like I remembered them)
I might give it another go next year and cook them in salt water.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Salsify
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 17:45:39 »
Oooh....they sound ok actually. Im looking forward to trying them now....thanks for the run down on them AWV  ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal