Author Topic: Anybody saving next years seed?  (Read 3279 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Anybody saving next years seed?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 11:47:05 »
Redclanger- don't want to put you off, but I think I read that parsnip seed needs to be fresh every year. I guess saving it this year for next is the freshest you can get, but make sure you are keeping it in the best conditions.Others may know better!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 11:52:27 »
I've saved quite a few Tomatoes, some heritage cucumbers, and I'm going to keep some of the superhot chillies too....I don't mind if they cross a bit, they are all very hot ones in the greenhouse!

Flowerwise not so much this year. My lottie neighbour has kindly given me some foxglove seed from a plant that had very pronounced spots, and I have saved seeds from some of the best coloured Sunflowers and Calendula plants.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 12:35:52 »
this is my first year saving seeds. I've saved:

Heritage bean - Mrs Fortune's French bean (A4A swap  ;D)
Heritage bean - Bird's Egg (HSL)
Heritage bean - Blue and White (A4A swap )
Heritage bean - Cherokee Trail of Tears (HSL)
Lettuce - Brown Goldring  (HSL)
Heritage Pea - Purple Podded (Saddad swap)
Heritage Pea - Lancashire Lad (HSL)

Hopefully they will all grow well next year!

bd

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 13:43:29 »
I try to save most of the HSL stuff. Got plenty of Cherokee Trail of Tears - I even wrapped some up for a Christmas present last year for Supersprout but was unable to give them to her  :'(
Saving some Trifetti HSL chilli seed this year. Still got Prince of Prussia peas from last year! I let some beetroot go to seed this year - the scent of the flowers is amazing.
Shall save some crystal lemon (or was it apple) cucumber seeds from this year too.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 14:22:04 »
cleo, seeds-by-size sell Boldog Hungarian Spice

Thanks-know where to look if the seeds fail-they are good

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 19:11:37 »
Oh, dear, I have suddenly remembered spending Christmas in Pittsburg Penn USA around 1963. My parents were there, teaching in The Cathedral of Learning, a famous Gothic skyscraper. They sought out fellow immigrants and fell in with Eastern Europeans who had not only illegally imported their own seeds but were actively encouraging their relations there to send them more!

I was about 22 yrs old, and was already impressed that people travelled across the world with incredible courage and faith, to re-eastablish their lives in alien worlds with pocketsfull of seeds.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 22:06:01 »
Saved stamps as a youngster - this is more addictive  ;D

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/ninnyscrops/DSCF0253.jpg
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2007, 00:35:35 »
There's organised, like the filing system!
I think I would need quite a few drawers....... :-[
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

David R

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 09:54:47 »
i hope to start saving seed next year as im getting my veg from open pollinated sources, and will no longer buy any F1 or suchlike seeds. The good thing is that you can select seed from good plants that are suited to your own conditions (rather than the sterile mono culture condition requirements bred into the modern varieties).

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 12:27:58 »
I am saving my French bean Bleuhilde - podded them today and found a few black ones, which I will try and grow next year. Reading a previous reply it seems that if I grow them next year I should get  'black Bleuhilde' ? Why does this happen and will it be a new variety?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 13:12:11 »
I am hoping to save Afghan Purple Carrotts. I grew them this year from rare seed in a huge bin in the greenhouse, the foliage has died back now and the carrotts are left in the dry potting soil, someone said if I left them in it they would grow again next year and I will get the seed, I do hope this is right, there are lots of carrotts in there. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 00:00:38 »
Antipodes all brassicas are promiscuous (?) (will breed with any other brassica) so probably not worth saving seed from... having said that it can be done, but the damage is probably already done!
 ::)

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 01:08:15 »
Berlotti Beans - real discovery this year - fabulous crop

Parsnips

Was going to save leeks but thsi didn't work.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal