Author Topic: still struggling  (Read 1202 times)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
still struggling
« on: October 24, 2007, 13:49:32 »
I took oer my allotment in the summer but due to the usual commitments i haven't spend a load of time there so far.
i have cleared about a quarter which is now covered in manure. hopefully that is now ready for later.
the problem is the rest which is still covered in couch and other grass/weeds.
i have tried digging up this stuff but the grass seems to go so deep i end up moving a load of the earth to the dump as well.

i tried weed killer and covering with plastic sheeting but that didn't seem to work too well.

i also considered a strimmer but after finding out the price and the deposit and the 2 stroke fuel needed it seemed like a lot of hassle.

i also even contemplated a rotervator but was quickly put off after reading some blogs again.

So has anyone any ideas to a way forward, or should i just keep digging

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: still struggling
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 14:50:22 »
Get some silage plastic.......put it on and LEAVE it all winter. In fact leave it down next season too and plant through it.

We did that in feb this year and just lifted it last week, there is lots of dead thatch some bindweed and couch root left. As we are organic we naturally have to keep digging it out. It will be an ongoing job, but it will get less as it weakens.

Re the weedkiller......if you're going to spray you must leave the area uncovered as herbicides work on the plant being in full growth and still trying to photosynethise. This will allow the weedkiller to act systemically and be taken up properly down to the roots. So don't apply again till next spring.

It really depends on how long you want to leave the plot before planting.......I would vouch for the organic method every time. Its up to you how you want to go about it.

Good luck ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 20:51:00 »
We have also gone down the organic root but I can see the reason why people use weedkiller.

Our neighbour blitzed his with round up then rotavated it from one end to the other and now is totally organic.

Do whatever works for you and don't worry if it isn't perfect, it does take time and believe me I've thrown the fork and spade across the plot many times in frustration and even considered giving up yet we have just taken on plot number 2!!!  :o

Keep going, even if it is just a bit at a time, if you decide to go the organic way then do as Star has said and lay down black plastic (we got ours on ebay) and then dig a little at a time making sure that you remove ALL the roots that you can.

Good luck and keep us posted!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 21:43:01 »
Spray with Roundup, (glysophate) at the recomended dose. Do not overdo it, the weeds need to be sprayed not saturated to run off. Nettles and woody needs need a stronger dose than grasses. Feel free to pm me if you need more advise on weedkilling. Use a sprayer and not a watering can. By doing this you kill all the roots as the weedkiller is translocated to the roots. This is better than digging as the roots that you break off will not re grow, and you do not need to dig them out as they will rot and add nutrients to the soil. Absolutely do not cover after spraying.

If you want to work the soil it should be OK seven days after spraying, by then the weedkiller has translocated to the roots.

You then have weed free soil and that is a good time to consider going organic  8)

This will give you the best start and let you concentrate on growing things.

If you like digging, well just make sure you get to the end of the plot before the weeds come up again behind you.  :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 21:44:37 by ipt8 »

STEVEPARTRIDGE

• Half Acre
    • MY ALLOTMENTS DIARY
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 07:51:01 »
Following on from ipt8's advice about using Roundup, it is a weedkiller that as said will kill the roots as well and it is perfectly safe to plant into after 7 days so does not effect your soil, also it is made from natural plant ingredients and is used widely by the farming industry so we have all been eating produce over the years which has at some time had this put on the soil, then after this treatment which will make your life a great deal easier you can grow 100% Organically if you wish, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 13:11:44 »
thanks chaps for your advise. I did get a bit disheartened yesterday morning after digging and digging and just not getting anywhere because of those b...... couch. But i have a good afternoon there and think i'll go the weedkiller route now. I took two days off work to work on the lottie so i think i've achieved as much as i could have hoped for.

It gives me hope to see that most allotments around me are doing really well, still almost into November. Not many are closed up shop yet they all seem to be growing so that will be me next year fingers crossed

Thanks

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 13:18:02 »
dont be too hard on yourself either it takes a long time to get an overgrown plot back up and running and you only began this task in the summer. i think it will take you about three years to get things as you would like them to be. take things at your own pace and please downt get too disheartened. i felt the same way after my first season when still under the thumb of the dreaded couch grass. you will get on top of it if you take it steady and each year the couch will get less and less and eventually it wont bother you at all. good luck. :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 14:49:56 »
well I thought mine was impossible when I first got it, but I just did a bit at a time, I realized that a good idea was to cover one area at a time, with a big tarp folded over. Once the weeds under it had died, dig that over and plant and move the tarp.
Keep as much planted as possible is also a good idea.
I eventually got my 100 m2 dug over for the summer.
I used no weedkiller, no strimmer, no rotovator, just elbow grease. And I do the lot alone while working full time and have two kids.~
I just accepted that it would never look as tidy as my neighbour's that goes down there every day, that's all. If you can plant lots of spuds next year that helps dig it over -  mulch them well.
That's my two cents worth.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

stig

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 09:09:48 »
wrap up warm and did dig dig
im stig (thats short for stig in the mud)

David R

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 10:27:01 »
agree with everyone here maidenheadtaff, you need patience most of all. when you spray with weedkiller, it can take a couple of months to have the desired effect, and in autumn/winter there's no point anyway. Covering works best, but that can take 6 months or more to kill everything. I would dig over a couple of small beds and get them looking good, that will give you the psycological fillip to carry on and do the rest over the course of time.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal