Author Topic: What Gets Under Your Skin?  (Read 7549 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: What Gets Under Your Skin?
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 20:29:45 »
I seem to rant and rave about most things that have been mentioned.  Heldi.  I hate them d**n stretch limousines myself, awful things. wouldnt be seen dead in one.  Poor you.

One thing that does get up by nose is   the price of CARDS, Birthday card any type of card, they are sooooo expensive and I find it ridiculous.  The cheapest ones I can find arent fit for purpose, the next decent ones are about £1.49.  What a ridiculous amount for a card.  M&S  have some nice cards for a pound and if I remember I do get stocked up for forthcoming birthdays. 

Why do the young folk not write thank you letters any more for Wedding gifts.  Imagine giving someone at least £50 and not saying thank you.  When I was young, it was rammed into me,  remember and write a letter and thank so n so for whatever. 

Such is life.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 20:56:45 »
The fact that writing has got smaller on packs/bottles/containers to incorporate all the "necessary" information we have to be told - (never used to have to wear glasses)!

Still put a pack of  "Thank You" cards in the children's Christmas stockings though at 26 and 28!  ::)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 21:40:55 »
chavs.

A**ho**s who drive right up your boot in their pathetic souped up fiesta or corsa.

A**ho**s who think it's cool to blast their crap trance / jungle/ garage/ bass music out of aforementioned souped up fiesta or corsa.

A**ho**s in their souped up fiesta or corsa, playing loud trance / jungle/ garage/ bass music who think it's clever to rev the engine continuously

>:(
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2007, 02:37:51 »
Carol same sentiments from me but I got stitched lol!

Thankyou cards should be made the law!

McDonalds from me too. I polish my halo and tell everyone I have never had one. I will never have one either.  If those limos are evil then they came out of the pit of hell...mcdonalds. Hate the way people call mcdonalds a "treat"   Shan't go on because I'll get really horrible and I'm not really...I'm loving iT. AAARGH!

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2007, 13:42:22 »
i'm with you on the mcdonalds thing. its a tricky one with kids but so far so good. will never set foot in one.  i conceded to take them to pizza hut once which was pretty awful.  nowhere near a treat!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2007, 13:45:06 »
Still put a pack of  "Thank You" cards in the children's Christmas stockings though at 26 and 28!  ::)
and a book of stamps ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2007, 13:48:50 »
chavs.

A**ho**s who drive right up your boot in their pathetic souped up fiesta or corsa.

A**ho**s who think it's cool to blast their crap trance / jungle/ garage/ bass music out of aforementioned souped up fiesta or corsa.

A**ho**s in their souped up fiesta or corsa, playing loud trance / jungle/ garage/ bass music who think it's clever to rev the engine continuously

>:(

Ever thought about moving to Southend Seafront?   ;D ;D ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2007, 13:55:33 »
Don't, don't, don't. It has been my ambition to walk along any part of Southend high street without hearing the dreaded F word. I have to report that after 27 years I still haven't managed it. ::) (I try not to go now.)
Smile, it confuses people.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2007, 22:32:22 »
I dislike all signs......plastic, lit up tacky shop signs, signs with misspellings, Americanisms...'Drive thru' AAAAAAAAAAARGH!
I would make shops only be allowed to display lovely handpainted signs by proper signwriters. So there. ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2007, 02:39:58 »
People who post without using any capital letters. 

Posting in capitals is famously frowned on as being rude.  I find posts wholly in lower case are just as hard to read, as it makes it difficult to see where sentences begin and end. 

Posting without capitals is lazy and inconsiderate.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2007, 08:31:57 »
gosh. :-[

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2007, 09:19:51 »

Posting in capitals is famously frowned on as being rude. 

Prove it. Where are the official forum ettiquette rules.

It seems the apostrophe brigade have stopped sending 'letters to the editor' and are now intent on making up the rules as they go along on the internet.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2007, 13:08:32 »
Free papers, menus and leaflets. Even though we have a sticker on the letter box saying dont post these!

Motorbikes racing in woodland and parks!

Bad manners!

Junk mail delivered by the poor postman who has to carry it all!

Screaming kids!

Dog poo not picked up.......I have 2 dogs and do pick up after them. A couple of years ago I was in a beautiful woods, a middle aged couple walked through the picnic area and watched their Ridgeback  cr*p and walk off. I asked them if they needed a bag thinking they had forgot to pack some. The answer was an indignant "NO?"

I got a bag , picked up after their dog and smeared it on the windscreen of their car. Then drove away really fast. I must add I dont do this sort of thing as a matter of course, but they were SO rude and didn't give a toss. I thought they needed to really think about what they had done. I dont feel proud of what I did, I was furious.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2007, 13:28:01 »
FAO Star - were the beautiful woods sculptured parkland?  If yes, then dog mess should be picked up.  If not and it is wild wood and the dog mess is not on a path but in scrub - why bother?  After all, it is where it would have been had we not been here and killed all the wolves - and foxes don't bother with bags. 

Greyhound - your post was just downright rude - something I have been guilty of in the past - hopefully I have learnt my lesson.

Emaggie - It is a very expressive word when used in the right contexts - it is only its severe overuse that is annoying.  Not as good as the word for what the dogs got though ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2007, 13:52:16 »

I got a bag , picked up after their dog and smeared it on the windscreen of their car. Then drove away really fast. I must add I dont do this sort of thing as a matter of course, but they were SO rude and didn't give a toss. I thought they needed to really think about what they had done. I dont feel proud of what I did, I was furious.

I shouldn't laugh but   I'd like to apply that to other parts of life which annoy me!  ;D

gosh.  :-[

meh.  type how you want to  :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2007, 14:12:34 »
Hi Redclanger,

It wasn't sculptured parkland......but it was a picnic area where children play. Horseriders are also not allowed in this small area. I do feel that because of the nature of this small site in a large woodland it should be common sense to pick up after your dog. The grass in this area is mown short to make it pleasant for families to picnic and children to play.

I do agree however in wild woodland its acceptable to leave were plopped, especially as in my 2's case where they love to dump in a bramble thicket or nettle patch. But I do feel strongly that it be removed from pathways ;)

But thankyou for raising the point :)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2007, 14:40:07 »
With you 100% :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2007, 15:07:05 »
......getting lids off jars.....

equipment: 1) a teatowel,etc.,  to provide a non-slip surface.

..2) a small chisel (handily kept in container with other kitchen tools  ::))

Turn your jar upside down on the teatowel. You'll see on the lid praps 3 indentations where the lid has been pinched in to form a perfect seal. Insert chisel between glass jar and the lid at one of these indentations and prise open towards you.

A popping sound will alert you that the hermetic seal is now broken.

Reverse jar and it will open easily with none of the liquid being spilt.

8)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2007, 15:34:47 »
sorry, before I start, I'm doing it all in lower case as I'm tired from the plot
bum cracks on very large men
nasty little baggages who throw stones and break 6 panes of glass in John's greenhouse for a laugh
being told what to do  ;)
 ;D

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2007, 16:01:54 »
I agree that, as all we have as a conversation medium between us is text and emoticon (smiley faces), it is important to make yourself understood and it is also accepted that capitals denote shouting, but perhaps rather than focussing on the use of capitals at the appropriate places it would be more appropriate to concentrate on making yourself understood.

For example, I often have to read one particular users posts a few times and go back to what was said before in order to follow what this person is on about. 

This person comes accross as being very intelligent and uses capitalisation correctly but their sentences are more conversational as opposed to gramatical and therefore come accross as being very harsh on many occasions.  The user in question also 'has a go' at other posters often which is another thing which (to get back to the subject line) gets under my skin.

IMHO
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal