Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882390 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #640 on: March 30, 2008, 16:02:13 »
Struggled to put fifty onion sets but I did it, ovrall the lotty was crap to work on so I went to the Pub :)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #641 on: March 30, 2008, 16:14:43 »
Ground very wet after yesterdays downpour so gave that a miss.

Completely gutted my shed then rearranged it again.Looks lovely now,wont last long though  ;D

Tended my plants in the greenhouse.

Loaded my car boot with rubbish and stopped at the local refuse site on the way home.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 16:27:20 by Fork »
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #642 on: March 30, 2008, 16:26:07 »
Put some blueberrie bushes into pots, got the first earlies in (2 weeks after the 2nd earlies - oops), sowed a few seeds in trays, mowed the front lawn (for the first time this year), and dug a bit more ground to try and clear space for the onions.

Not enough energy to mow the back garden but a very productive day after a shocking week of rain.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #643 on: March 30, 2008, 17:03:08 »
I completed my strawberry bed at home, and positioned two more raised beds for my onions, some for home some for the lottie, planted some mangetout peas, and I know very late sweet peas, my sons also planted some sunflowers all in our new greenhouse yeah

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #644 on: March 30, 2008, 18:34:52 »
Lovely day at the allotment and the ground had actually dried out quite nicely by this pm. Managed to put in 1st and 2nd earlies (why did I buy so many?), shallots, onions and garlic. Took me ages and ages .......

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #645 on: March 30, 2008, 19:16:29 »
I woke up nursing the WORST hangover ever......opened up the zip on my greenhouse, thought "oh what a lovely sunny day", then promptly passed out again until 2pm when i woke up feeling slightly less green and ate a v large cooked breakfast.  I am ashamed of myself that with all this lovely sunshine I managed to sleep away the majority of the day!  :-[
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #646 on: March 30, 2008, 19:31:32 »
I have taken a risk.

Planted from seed Brassicas, Peas, Lettuce, radishes (all under fleece or poly tunnels)

Built a cage from blown over plastic greenhouses (good idea from somewhere on the forum)

Cleaned the greenhouse, cleaned out both sheds :D :D

Good day all round :D :D :D.

Oh nearly forgot, rescued a huge bumble bee that fell in the birdbath... put him in the sun to dry, and he finally recovered and buzzed all around the garden.

Also saw a yellow butterfly in the garden too today :D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #647 on: March 30, 2008, 19:32:42 »
Oh dear, at least you're ok now Posie ;)

I moved bulbs.......Didnt want to but need to put spuds there tomorrow. I didnt get much else done really :(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #648 on: March 30, 2008, 19:51:17 »
Had a lovely day down the lottie today. Glorious sunshine, first time that Dad has been down since his heart attack (at the lottie, 6 weeks ago.) Planted 40 Gladioli, 40 Iris, felted the roof of the shed porch, put in sticks for the peas, saw the first pea pod starting to form on the Autumn sown peas, planted up another bag of Orla spuds, had a bonfire, tidied the shed, put all the garden ornaments back out after the bad winds, got the boys to start making the frame for a deep raised bed - 2.4m x 1.2m x 50cm deep, got hubby to move the slabs to the back of the plot as I think someone has been helping themselves to them!! Saw a couple of Red Admirals and a few bees.

Weed-Digga

If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #649 on: March 30, 2008, 20:05:48 »
The greenhouse got a thorough clear out.   I sowed 5 different types of flowers, some marigolds & leeks.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #650 on: March 30, 2008, 20:53:01 »
And what a glorious day it was! I checked my bees, prepared carrot bed, did lots of weeding, rotavating, sowed some peas, had plenty of tea breaks and enjoyment from the sun shine...tan is coming on..
I dug last of the cabbages and brussels up, mowed the lawns , watered all plants in greenhouses and pricked out lettuce seedlings...and ..and
And pulled the mussle on my leg..ouch...too much work for the one day.. just couldn't help myself. Idea of staying indoors today didn't appeal.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #651 on: March 31, 2008, 17:22:16 »
Best day of the year for Mr&Mrs Smith, did loads on the lotty this morning to much to mention, but I hope to have another good day tomorrow :) :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #652 on: March 31, 2008, 20:10:42 »
Sowed some beetroot and more peas, dug some manure in and weeded the french bean area, and covered the potato tops that are showing inside the bottle cloches with dried manure.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #653 on: April 01, 2008, 13:24:45 »
The lotty was still dry this morning after last nights rain so I went into town to the weekly cattle market and bought some colly  and cabbage plants, back to the lotty and planted them out along with two rows of pea's two row of beetroot and ten garlic bulbs in one of the raised beds, hope the weather holds out :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #654 on: April 03, 2008, 20:03:12 »
Harvested carrots and parsnips and sowed some parsnips in the last few days.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #655 on: April 03, 2008, 20:15:49 »
sowed pre chitted parsnips, transplanted peppers and tomatoes, calabrese, red cabbage and romanesco..beans are all showing on the windowsill at home..took the chinese leaves to the polytunnel  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #656 on: April 03, 2008, 20:47:23 »
Planted second earlies and shallots. I need to attack the asparagus bed tomorrow as some nettles are showing their ugly heads. :o :o :o

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #657 on: April 03, 2008, 21:01:09 »
potted on some plug plants and decided to sod the lawn and plant veg there instead - ordered some raised beds!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #658 on: April 03, 2008, 21:38:03 »
Put out 60 onion sets that hjad been growing in cells, stooled a couple of Germander hedges, filled up the gaps in the Broad bean rows, potted up some Oca, general weeding along the avenues...
 :)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #659 on: April 09, 2008, 21:32:51 »
Today I planted up some mixed and some chocolate gladioli and some dutch iris.  Also potted up some dwarf sutton broad beans for my grandmother (ick ick ick) and generally pottered about.  What I didn't do, is what I should have been doing, i.e. writing essays!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal