Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 884933 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #620 on: March 27, 2008, 18:25:56 »
been to see ray's mum and dad this morning so not worth going today..instead, started some beans in rootrainers, transplanted some mibuna greens (from Jeannine last year, thank you) and some pak choi, possibly from the same place ..got to take 2 trays to the plot of toms and peppers, will put in cold poly..no more orrm at home  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #621 on: March 27, 2008, 18:41:28 »
Planted my early spuds. Vales Emerald and Nadine. I also put in 50 red onions  and 100 Century onions.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #622 on: March 27, 2008, 19:20:31 »
Found some loose onions in the shed so I planted them. Harvested PSB, carrots, cabbage and PFA, took them home steamed them and had them for dinner with slowly cooked lamb in foil and a few yorkshires of course.  :P :P :P  ;D ;D ;D  :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #623 on: March 27, 2008, 20:20:47 »
Planted a Winter Banana apple - it's a late keeping dessert variety, which is supposed to taste of bananas. It was bred in Indiana in 1876, when they were still a luxury item. I went through the beeghives, and found that one is broodless and queenless; I don't usually have queens fail as late as March. That leaves two colonies, one of my strain, the other strangers. I'll raise queens off the former later in the year, and use the other to provide the bees for new colonies.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #624 on: March 27, 2008, 23:30:30 »
Not strictly garden or plot, but I had a lovely day 'potting on' in the kitchen! It was nice and warm and no-one to moan about the mess till 5.30. Erected yet another plastic greenhouse to accommodate plants but I seem to have run out of room yet again ::) Will sow some more seeds tomorrow, and look for more staging for glass house.
Hope your bees will be ok Robert.
Smile, it confuses people.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #625 on: March 28, 2008, 01:24:20 »
we took out 3 barrow of couch root and planted 30 shallots and 50 red onions insead.

anyone got a recipe for couch root lol

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #626 on: March 28, 2008, 09:22:50 »
I soooooo wanted to go to the lottie yesterday, but had to pick my mum up from airport so couldn't.  Woke up this morning to discover rain, rain and more flaming rain!!!  So I've potted on some Alicante, Gardener's Delight, San Marzano tomatoes.  Also some cosmos, nasturtium and marigolds and just planted up 2 seed trays full of goodies for my mum and grandma.  Also put some of the free bulbs into pots.  And.........drum roll please..........I've managed to germinate 3 parsnip seeds in the airing cupboard - thanks for the tip Jeannine!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #627 on: March 29, 2008, 09:37:04 »
Here in the East mids this morning it is bright and a slight wind ideal to go onto the lotty but in my case it is still to wet to set foot onto it but if this weather holds I might have a go tomorrow if not Monday :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #628 on: March 29, 2008, 12:04:44 »
planted two lots of second earlies - pixie and charlotte, transplanted another load of peas, misty, saw that the Lidl pear trees from last year have blossom buds on them  ;D, checked the forced rhubarb, will be ready through the week methinks, everything on target, had a lovely morning so sunny

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #629 on: March 29, 2008, 14:16:40 »
repotted my tomatoes going to plant some more soon, replanted my peas and some more rhubards

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #630 on: March 29, 2008, 14:53:07 »
In garden @ home...

I dug over part of a border, to transfer some perennials from another part of garden - which will be my new veg area.

9 year old son volunteered to cut grass for me (petrol mower- boys& toys )

Went indoors briefly to make a cuppa and the heavens opened.

Will go and sow more seeds in warm greenhouse.

I WON'T be beaten by the weather!! ;D

Debs

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #631 on: March 29, 2008, 14:57:58 »
I managed to get some sowing done earlier today.  Since I don't have any glazing in my greenhouses at the moment I'm using a garden wall as a potting bench, and can only do it when it's not raining.

But it's been absolutely chucking it down here ever since lunchtime.  Think it might just have stopped.  We have to fix the shed roof in the lottie - it's shifted, and the felt's come off - but so far in the last few days howling winds and nasty rain have conspired against us.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #632 on: March 29, 2008, 15:30:19 »
Repotted yet more tomatoes, sorted out my mini greenhouses and bought a pot for my new pet......... Stavros the Venus Fly Trap.   ;D ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

sims girl

• Quarter Acre
  • my daughters pet
« Reply #633 on: March 29, 2008, 15:45:53 »

>:(
l have not been in my garden or my lottie it is pouring it down here in Conwy l am fed up with this rain  :(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #634 on: March 29, 2008, 17:03:22 »
when I woke up at 6 this morning, the sun was cracking the flags..wonderful day for the plot..luckily, even after walking the dog, it was only 9.30 when we got there..managed to get the bean poles up, feed the garlic and tidy bits up before the heavens opened..
so, into the poly, transplanted toms and peppers, re-organised the space and transplanted some flowers in the big greenhouse..between all this, lots of tea and chats in the communal shed..
finally waded to the car, hopefully nicer tomorrow  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #635 on: March 29, 2008, 20:59:22 »
I dug up a bush and an old stump in my back garden, the sun was out and aI was in my T shirt, by the time I got to the lottie it was cold and windy, so I planted my last few onions and harvested some parsnips and then the heavens opened so it was back home the warm.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #636 on: March 29, 2008, 21:12:57 »
Rain and wind stopped me from working in the garden.. but took a flask of coffee and went and cleaned and sort out the greenhouse... never forgetting my MP3 player too :D  .......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the bliss, a good hour away from the kids!!!. ;D ;D ;D

Oops.. sorry Kids is a bad word from another thread LOL.. I meant the CHILDREN!!! :D :D :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #637 on: March 29, 2008, 21:46:22 »
Received my first lot of plug plants and I spent rainy afternoon potting them up...hundreds and hundreds. Pricked out herb seedlings, potted up cuttings, organized greenhouse as there start to be serious space shortage..and I haven't even started with veg yet!!!
Bees had some extra feed and picked some sprouting Broccoli...
Oh how I miss warm sunny weather...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #638 on: March 29, 2008, 22:35:16 »
Planted 16 tomato varieties, and found a Williams pear in Tesco's.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #639 on: March 29, 2008, 23:09:11 »
It rained most of the day here so we decided to clear out the garage and put loads of stuff on freecycle, plus two trips to the dump. I now have lots of pieces of treated timber I can use as plant supports.

On my second trip to the dump I came across one of those Victorian line marker tools. I was thrilled as it only cost me £1.00  ;D

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal