Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 900466 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #600 on: March 22, 2008, 16:25:44 »
finally finished potting up the 200 free gladioli bulbs, phew  ;D
transplanted red cap cabbage and verbena seedlings ..moved some tomato plants under cut off bottles on the ground, ran out of room in the poly tray..
the surfinia 'bits' I pinched out have started rooting, it was an experiment that worked  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #601 on: March 22, 2008, 21:00:22 »
Dug over half of last year's potato bed. They did so badly I never bothered lifting the crop, and so far I've found three potatoes which survived the blight. All of them off one plant.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #602 on: March 23, 2008, 10:48:22 »
I've just been to the lottie and hoe-ed out a small trench for my earlies but its too wet to plant so I covered the trench with plastic.  ???    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #603 on: March 23, 2008, 12:20:34 »
never went to lottie today as we are having freak weather like snow then sun then rain, but I did manage to plant some more chillies in the greenhouse, and also replant my lettuce leaves into bigger pots.  Also planted some flower bulbs and replanted some marigolds and nasturiums.  I wish the ground would just dry out so that I can do some work in my home garden, its looks like slush at the mo

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #604 on: March 23, 2008, 17:20:15 »
Watched the snow fall on it this mornng.......and now it has all gone, but its too freezing cold to do anything.

debjay

• Half Acre
« Reply #605 on: March 23, 2008, 18:41:44 »
Went to the lottie to check greenhouse babies and made a SNOWMAN ;D
Felt like a big kid but really enjoyed it ;D
Debbie

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
« Reply #606 on: March 23, 2008, 18:59:36 »
only using half the plot this year so have just been down to strim the rest of it.
been to look at seed in greenhouse, tomatoes, cabbage, sweetcorn, peppers and cauli's all growing nicely.
Built growing area for climbing french beans and runner beans ready for planting.
Measured up area ready to build shed from 5 garage doors that I got from freecycle, just need to build the frame to attach them to.
First year on the lottie so can't wait to see what manages to grow.
Sun still shining only had to retreat to car once.
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #607 on: March 23, 2008, 19:02:34 »
Build a big snowman with the kids :D

No gardening though :)

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #608 on: March 24, 2008, 16:28:55 »
I'm sitting here with my feet in cosy slippers, trying to fend off chilblains and/or frostbite.

OH was told by his friend in the pub last night that the door of our lottie was open.  According to OH said friend was more bothered about the fact that his lottie backs on to ours, and people could get into his via ours than anything else, but who can blame him?  He's got a lot more to lose than we have.  We've got one shed full of goodness knows what tat, and one roofless greenhouse.  He's got two sheds, a greenhouse, polytunnels full of plants, and a solar power generator for his radio.  I'd feel the same in his shoes.  ;)

Went round today (in hail, snow and freezing cold) to find that the hasp had fallen off the lottie door.  Combination of rotten wood and very bad winds meant the screws weren't holding it on.  So we've spent half an hour adding some sound timber and screwing it all back together.  And I forgot to change my shoes - I was wearing canvas flatties, which got very wet and very cold very fast.  Brrrrrrrr!!!
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #609 on: March 24, 2008, 16:50:48 »
transplanted pinks, cucumbers, peppers and beetroot..picked chinese leaves, various types and radish for salad..covered spuds in the poly with paper as it's going to be very frosty tonight..came home when it started snowing  :o ;D
now, looking out of the window at beautiful, sunny blue sky  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #610 on: March 24, 2008, 17:35:15 »
Planted my third and last line of earlies, also sowed some more carrots and mixed some manure into two of my daleks.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #611 on: March 24, 2008, 19:16:23 »
It's too cold .. and I've got a streaming cold ...boohoo :'( :'( :'(

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #612 on: March 24, 2008, 20:14:37 »
Discovered half of roof of shed missing. Wandered about, found roof, spent twenty minutes hacking through brambles, rescued roof, realised no nails or hammer. Balanced roof back on shed, weighed down with timber and bricks, came home to see weather forecast predicting gales. Bugger.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #613 on: March 24, 2008, 22:12:02 »
Sowed a whole heap of seeds.  Must pot on tomatos and peppers!

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #614 on: March 24, 2008, 22:34:31 »
Dug over a bed for my first early spuds - whilst wearing a t-shirt - in a snowstorm!...

(it was warm and sunny - and snowing at the same time I hasten to add - only in England eh?..)
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #615 on: March 24, 2008, 22:44:19 »
 :-\  Spent a lot of time in greenhouse potting and tidying up.....

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #616 on: March 25, 2008, 16:50:53 »
Planted my 120th potato on second plot and started digging a new bed out of the meadow. Yesterday, on first plot - yes, it snowed, but was surprisingly warm, and I got a lot done, weeding and feeding asparagus and raspberries, and a bit of emergency digging among neglected weeds.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #617 on: March 26, 2008, 00:53:52 »
I went to the plot with good intention to plant spuds but the ground was too hard, and it started snowing again.   

Potting work only today. Sowed more Webbs Wonderful and Little Gem Lettuce. Sowed Fill-Basket sprouts. Transplanted cucumbers & cherry tomato plants.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #618 on: March 26, 2008, 08:12:18 »
Sat in the ploytunnel and potted on the majority of the tomato plants. I'm now risking them in a mini greenhouse inside my home greenhouse, I've run out of room on the kitchen windowsill!

Didn't do much at the plot, spread the last few bags of mushroom compost, did a bit of weeding and that was it..... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #619 on: March 26, 2008, 09:44:10 »
my new greenhouse goes up today yeah, and my shed gets picked up for the lottie so I am so happy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal