Author Topic: Eeeek! A Mouse...!  (Read 15032 times)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Eeeek! A Mouse...!
« on: June 24, 2004, 11:50:55 »
Val, I have to say that I thought of you this morning. I walked past the downstairs loo this morning, which is near our back door. I noticed a movement and saw a tiny mouse disappear behind the toilet. I pulled myself together and looked again to see him climb into our jumbo bag of toilet rolls! I certainly didn't want it making a nest or getting comfortable, but didn't know what to do.

Eventually, after ensuring the cat was shut in the house, I opened the back door, and grabbed the nearby mop. Using the handle of the mop I lifted the bag of loo rolls, and keeping it at a distance from me, put the bag outside. Would the mouse come out? No chance! Cautiously I pulled out a loo roll, hoping the mouse wasn't hanging on to it! Then another, and then another, until eventually the bag was empty except for the mouse. By this time I was cringing and feeling very nervous, but I carefully tipped up the bag and the mouse scuttled off behind my pots.

An hour or so later my cat appeared and sniffed around the toilet and looked at me as if to say "where's my mouse?". I'm glad I rescued it, but the episode shook me up a bit!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Eeeek! A Mouse...!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 11:59:59 »
Plocket - good job you noticed the mouse going into the loo rolls. A few years back, I was sitting on the loo one morning, all bleary eyed, when suddenly a mouse ran literally between my feet!  :o
gone to pot :D

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 12:02:58 »
Oh I would have screamed! I think a bag of nice soft loo rolls would have made a nice house for a mouse!

I like mice to look at, but I don't want them running around my house! The cat must have caught it, but she is a bit old and doesn't really know how to kill things (thank goodness!).
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 13:22:03 »
 :'(Oh my Gawd, I feel faint just thinking about it.You are a lot braver than me Plocket , its toe curling  sweat forming, clammy hands, bl....y hell, can't even go there, yaaaaa.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 13:35:08 »
It wasn't quite that bad - but I was VERY brave!!!

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 20:27:59 »
Last week, a baby rat fell out of our extension roof, down the hole where the heating pipes run.  It landed next to the kettle just as my (27 year old) son was brewing up.  He screamed like a girl and I popped a collander over the beastie.  Then I sort of shoved it gently across the worktop into the mop bucket and chucked a towel over the bucket.  Ratling was taken for a long walk to a field.  Son wouldn't go near kettle all week!

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 21:00:22 »
Aaagh! But what about the rest of the rats? That would be my main concern!!! I am pretty confident that the mouse was brought in by my cat, because she knew exactly where it was (and is generally pretty lazy and never goes in the downstairs loo!).

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 13:07:24 »
Hi Feets, not laughed so much in ages, you have to watch these young lads any excuse not to make a cuppa!!! Do feel sorry for him really, only a week? I would've had to move.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 14:05:54 »
Years ago, I was working for a brewery company, at a location where they stabled dray horses, so it was well infested. We had a coffee machine of the type where you take a cup with the dry ingredienrts, put it under a spout, and press a button for water. There was a "clicker" to provide sugar, too. One day, the sugar clicker was rather still, and one of our resident Aussies finally managed to force it across.

A spoonful of sugar descended into his coffee.

So did a live mouse.

Sudden decrease in coffee consumption, and particularly in sugar consumption, resulted.
Sumer is a coming in....

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 16:01:49 »
No more please, .....now what can I grow that will cure nightmares?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 16:03:55 by Val »

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 16:15:03 »
Smoke them over oak or apple chippings, smouldering rather than flaming? For those across the pond, I'd suggest hickory smoked nightmares?
Sumer is a coming in....

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 19:55:30 »
Sorry Val!  Just remembered that when a friend's toaster failed to work, she assumed it needed de-crumbing so turned it upside down and gave it a shake.  An electrocuted mouse dropped out!

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 20:21:54 »
Can I join in here?

The worst mouse episode in our family (well kind of) was when my daughter and a friend went into a McDonalds and ordered a burger. The friend (who shall remain nameless) opened up the bun to put on ketchup and what did she find but HALF A MOUSE cooked into the burger!!! Needless to say she made a rare old scene and sued them. UGH!!!!! I'll NEVER eat in a McDonalds no matter how hungry I am.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 20:31:45 »
Well, i have two mice and and two rats for pets. Beautiful creatures can't understand why ppl don't like them.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 21:19:09 »
Hi Guys!

Gilgamesh - luckily I only drink "fresh" filter coffee!

FOC- now I am worried about my sensitive toaster!

Eileen - I hope your friend sued Macs!

TrailRad - I am quite happy with mice (not quite so with rats though) - it is when the are running freely over my house, feet, possessions that I take against them. However I don't want them killed - I am quite happy to have them removed to the garden where they belong. By the way - do you have snakes? When I was much younger I had a school friend who was animal mad - she had snakes and rats, and then one day the snakes got out and ate the rats. Funny - I always liked the snakes... My cat "caught" a rat once but it was already stiff with rigor mortis!!!

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004, 21:36:14 »
No snakes, trying to persuade other half to let me have a leopard gekko though. The mice I have are well trained and run amok quite freely over the house. Easily persuaded back to the tank with a cheerio or two. The rats on the other hand are fat, lazy creatures and don't like to wander to far from their food dish.

Glad to hear about your great feline hunter ;D plocket
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2004, 21:46:54 »
Hi TrailRat! My cat is a disgrace to other felines - thank goodness. One kill a year max - and she's 13 now I think. Too lazy! Sounds like your rats!!!

Mice sound cute - grandpa's neighbours used to keep mice in a dolls house - they put mesh in front of the house for when they pulled the front of the house open. Really nice to see them running up and down the stairs!

Gekkos are fantastic! Love them! Don't know what they are like as pets though!!! Good luck with OH!

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 00:10:18 »
I've kept fancy rats for over twenty years. Great little pets. Only the males were lazy though!!!  :P They are trained to come when their names are called. Highly intellegent and love to play games. You can also train them not to mess in the house only in their cages and I've never been bitten by one yet.  :-*

Trailrat - what type have you got - Hoodies, Berkshires, champagnes, albinos...............? I think the hoodies are the most intelligent and certianly enjoy human company.

Plocket - yeah she sued them. Never found out what settlement she got though but she bought herself a new car about six months after the event!!??!

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2004, 08:41:12 »
Not sure of the breed of rat i've got. The pet shop weren't to sure themselves. Both are male and one is black with a white underbelly, the other is brown all over. As for the mice, both are female. One is a albino and the other is a domesticated version of a fieldmouse. Only Snowball, the albino mouse, bites but she does it playfully and has yet to break the skin.

TrailRat

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2004, 11:40:23 »
This thread is like one of those horror, scary films, you don't want to watch but can't switch off. I must be a masochist or whatever it is,  You see the rodents have addled my brain, better go to that funny farm then........

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal