Author Topic: Eeeek! A Mouse...!  (Read 15031 times)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Eeeek! A Mouse...!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2004, 13:32:46 »
One of your rats sounds like a Berkshire Trailrat(the one with the white belly) the other is possibly a Brindle. Never kept mice but I know they're supposed to make good little pets too.

Rats and mice are really the best pets for children and I'd rather have one of them than a bl..dy hamster any day. In my vet. nursing days I got more nasty, deep wounds from hamsters than anything else!!!!

Val, sorry to keep scaring you silly!! I'd better not tell you some of my other more 'horrendous' stories then eh? Unless you really want me too that is??!!.  ;) ;) :P  ;D ;D ;D

Eileen.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2004, 14:05:35 »
Reading your message made me smile!

A few years ago,i used to work in a large warhouse which had a problem with rodents.Because i was the sort of maintenance bloke,i decided to start setting traps,but one of the women at work didnt like the idea of me actually killing the mice and rats-i was persuaded to use humane traps.

Next day,i checked the traps and there were 6 mice all scampering about inside.I went outide to the field beside warehouse to let them go(with accompanying woman to ensure i didnt kill them on route).I let them go and ALL of them legged it back in the direction of the warehouse!

After this,i set normal mouse/rat traps baited with chocolate and caught loads-including a Stoat! In the end,we ended up getting pest controller to put poison down as i couldnt keep up with their numbers.

As a child,i kept mice,rats,hamsters,gerbils as pets so have never had a fear of them.The rats were always my favourite!
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2004, 16:54:32 »
NOOOO thank you Eileen. What is the fasination with ratty and co. Give me a nice cuddly dog any day, although our last dog wasn't too cuddly...but that is another tale...Mickey has fleas, so does ratty , they scuttle, have long tails, get in places they shouldn't and just sit and look at you, as if to say WHAT?    Hey Bubbles did the woman with you leg it to? I bet she did.!
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2004, 18:19:52 »
We kept rats (called Gin and Tonic!)and loved them, cried my eyes out when they went to rat heaven! (one died of breast cancer, the other had a brain tumour) They used to cuddle up with my kids on the couch when they were all watching TV.
Have to say one of the most intelligent loving pets we have ever had.
Had mice before that, we were ASSURED they were both females, yeah right!!!! Ended up with loads of the darlings!!
Now moved onto guinea pigs, not as intelligent, but an endless source of joy and amusement to the children and I!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2004, 18:59:42 »
Val - sorry to disappoint you but fancy mice and rats don't have fleas!!!! However, most puppies are born with worms and can be infested with our little jumping buddies without any probs!!

Don't know why I've never been scared of things like mice, rate, snakes etc but I have got a fear of...............wasps. So feel free to tell me some gruesome stories about them if you like - as payback!!! ;D ;D ;D

Eileen.

EILEEN.

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2004, 19:56:06 »
Never had a flea problem here with my rats or mice. Beautiful and stunnigly intelligent creatures. As for wasps I have a morbid fear of them too. As a child when i was 2 I got stung on the roof of my mouth by one when I was eating ice cream. That's also the reason why I'm afraid to have dental injections. Sorry if this freaks you out Eileen and my apologies for the mice comments Val.
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2004, 21:19:43 »
Nah doesn't scare me reading  about them at all Trailrat - just scares me sh.tless coming face to face with one - especially in a confined space.  :o
Ever seen a grown woman leap over the back of a sofa from a standing position? Well that was me a few years back when I saw one glaring at me from the window ledge. I'm sure it was about three feet between the eyes and out to get me!!!!!!!! I stood outside the front door, quivering like a  massive lump of jelly until a neighbour came along and disposed of it for me. He then tried to let me see it but as he held out his hand with the evil, stripey little devil on it .......well just lets say I (cough, cough).........  ran away blubbering like a baby.  :-[  Poor man couldn't understand why 'cause it was dead after all. Thing is I was convinced it was going to jump straight out of his palm at me and take it's revenge! Needed a really strong cuppa after all that I can tell you.  ::)

Eileen.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 22:46:15 by eileen »

EILEEN.

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2004, 21:32:16 »
i'm with you on that one. I seem to have a strange radar for them. If one gets within 6ft of me I could give the ferrari F1 a race for their money. Ever seen a grown man try to climb through a letter box in an escape attempt. Legged it from the flat to find the door locked and wasp sitting 3 ft where my keys are kept. Don't like the little sods and now have every square inch of the flat covered in wasp repellent. They hate citrollena stuff thats out on the market.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2004, 21:33:32 »
Eileen I agree with you - Wasps are just awful - no point them being on the planet that I can see (anyone care to tell me why we need them?). I remember my sister and I running down a hill when we were little and suddenly she started crying and shouting but couldn't stop running (she was about 6 I guess). At the bottom we found a wasp had got under her shirt and just kept stinging her because it couldn't get out. She was literally covered in stings poor love. And I STILL hate them more than her. They are the one thing I will spray with chemicals if I just see them. Anything else I will give a chance - you know - show them the window or whatever. Yuck!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2004, 22:53:23 »
Note to self: Buy the whole markets supply of Citronella!!!  :P

Is there a spray I can put on me to stop the 'yellow perils' buzzing around my face? Oh .. I hate it when they do that.  >:(
I'd gladly spend my life in a bucket of the stuff if it just kept them away from me.

Someone told me that they ate aphids......well I sure as h.ll ain't no blinking aphid so why do they keep pestering me!!!??!!! UGH!!!

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2004, 09:41:15 »
I haven't got any funny, or gruesome stories about mice or rats but I must thank you guys for a most entertaining 10 minutes reading all about yours :D  I must admit that wasps are my pet hate, although I did spend a while watching one particular wasp some years ago.  My cat had left some of her food in her dish, the back door was open, and this wasp kept coming to the dish, taking some food and flying off again.  This carried on for quite some time, must have been taking the food back to a nest I guess, but I thought it strange, a wasp eating cat food :-\  Eileen, I think there is an insect repellant spray you can buy from the chemist.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2004, 10:35:18 »
Apparently Marmite works!  Don't smear it on - eat it.  If you don't like it then I can't recommend anything else except those Autan? wipes from the chemist.  Just remembered that No. 1 son got bug deterrrent juice and 'sweat bands' to apply it to - sort of makes a 'force field' - this came from YHA shop (he was off to Jungleland).  I'm lucky - must be rotten through and through - cos the little critters generally leave me alone.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2004, 14:46:28 »
Poor little wasps, you nasty cruel horrible people, just tell them very sternly to go away and they do. You'll have them all buzzing down that line to the RSPCW man, they'll jam up the lines.  Now as for Mickey well he's not called dangermouse for nothing, they climb walls to get in the house, they drop out of ceilings, ask Muddy, well okay so it was ratty but still yuk.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2004, 21:23:53 »
Wasps eat aphids??? That's a new one on me! Little b*****s. Still early in the season though.....
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2004, 22:08:08 »
Wandering rather belatedly back onto the mousey subject, many many moons ago, my late great granny was tucking into a bowl of waitrose icecream when she started muching something rather crunchy, a little curious as it was vanilla icecream.  My nan and grandad asked her what it was, but her being a proud Devon woman just said 'nothin' my 'andsomes' and kept eating, until she could manage no more.....the tail!  She had consumed a complete frozen wee critter.  :o  Yum!  :P

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2004, 22:49:56 »
Uggghhhh!! Was munching away at a scone and my new strawberry jam when I read that EJ  :o  Nice to see you back on the boards tho.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2004, 11:06:43 »
This is getting worse by the minute, it should be censored... do we still have things censored these days? Well if not it should have the worse rating...or ratting.  :o :o

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2004, 19:37:50 »
Val sweetie! You don't HAVE to read this Mouse board!!!!! The ice cream story was just sick making though. Makes my story seem so tame!!!

Px

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2004, 19:57:09 »
May I just say that the mouse may have been alive as when the get too cold they go into a sort of self induced coma. I've seen it happen, one of my mice had got into the freezer (not sure how) and I found him the next curled in a ball. Because I thought she was dead I placed her in cotton wall lined box to bury her and the next day when I went to bury her I found she had chewed her way through the box, I found her sitting on the tank wanting to be let in to be fed.

TrailRat

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2004, 20:40:48 »
Ew ew ew! Poor little mouse. I feel quite sorry for it. Am very glad they have some defences. They seem to lead such a hard life in the wild!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal