Author Topic: THE HALF HOUR ALLOTMENT  (Read 7939 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
Re: THE HALF HOUR ALLOTMENT
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 10:40:19 »
From what ive heard it all depends on whether youve got the time to spend hours on end at the plot, or like me you only have the odd hour of a night and time at the weekend.  The plot i have is in a small allotment only 9 or 10 plots so its very often that im the only one in the allotment working - but when there is someone there i spend the time to talk.  Ive found the book use full in giving me idea's - but dont think i will work to it as a bible - do like the idea of grow crops that are "premium" crops but wont stop me planting main crop potato's cause if nothing else this will help me clear the ground in the 1st couple of years.  Im not gona limit myself to half an hour a day or make it necessary for me to go every night - its gona be a case of doing what work is necessary, what i can manage (totally unfit after years of office work) and just enjoy the out side and fresh air and the exercise.

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 14:12:47 »

What the Half hour allotment also mentions is that there is no time for idle chat with other plotholders and sitting around admiring your handiwork, which to me is one of the best bits of each visit and spurs me on to keep going! ;D
[/quote]

does it?
i've got the half hour allotment at home and the messge iv picked up is that you can spend all day there if you want, and its great to sit, chat and relax- but you only have to do half an hours work- leaving more time for chatting. maybe only my opinion?
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 17:52:19 »
there seems to be a lot of negative feelings towards this book- but i love it. just wanted to give a balanced opinion.
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 22:21:13 »
My very very rough rule of thumb is to allow 1 hour per week per pole to keep a plot in reasonable nick and weed-free. This is an average over the main growing season (Mar-Sep) but obviously there are peaks and troughs.

That would work out at about 3 hours per day for my plot. Probably a fair estimate since it's only retired people who get down every day who have immaculate weed-free plots.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal