Author Topic: ooh the excitement!  (Read 1523 times)

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
  • Just got my first plot!
ooh the excitement!
« on: September 17, 2007, 11:05:04 »
I have been waiting since last november, and got an email yesterday saying there's a half plot available I can view it today!!

I am so excited- I reckon this is a great time of year to get an allotment as I can clear it/ dig in manure etc and prepare the space ready to use next spring! 

ANy tips on what to look out for (eg is there anything I don't want to say yes to?)

I can't believe I am finally getting one ;D
Allotment Virgin!
Thirty-something Mum of one just taken on an allotment needing lots of work after a twelve month wait. Let the fun begin!

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Re: ooh the excitement!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:24:56 »
Good morning Vegemite.  Patience is certainly a virtue!   Well done.  Bet when you see it, you won't care what state it's in - you've got one and it'll be all yours!   Whatever state it is in you'll have lots to do no doubt.  So long as it is not contaminated I'd take it.   Weeds and brambles, pain that they are, can be removed.  Go for it I say. 

Twinkletoes

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:26:59 »
Congratulations, have fun but as others have said in the past don't try to do too much at once. Good luck.
Lorna

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 15:02:47 »
congratulations vegemite!!!
don't forget to take your camera ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 18:24:17 »
Congratulations... look forward to the before and after piccies!
 ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 18:34:51 »
Quite frankly, if you have waited a year for a plot to come free the only thing to look for is the tenancy agreement. Take it regardless. If it appears in poor order maybe there is some leeway in negotiations with the price but generally it is far easier to move to a better plot later than it is to get the first one.

Best of luck.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 20:06:54 »
Well done Veg and happy digging.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 23:07:06 »
Congrats on getting the plot!   

I'd say that the only thing to look out for is the inordinate amount of glass that you're bound to find in it! 

No plot is ever perfect, you just make the best of it and the challenge is worth what you get out of it.

Good luck and post plenty of pics!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 08:29:43 »
well its much bigger than i thought it would be, has a totall ramshackle old shed that needs pulling down (but i think I will leave it until spring as it has loads of character ;D  the ground is pretty weed free (well its not thigh high brambles) has loads of stuff called "mares tail" though, which i was dutifully informed is a problem but hey ho, it has loads of piles of old "stuff" (old broken chairs, cigar tins, broken bits of wood, pulled up weeds, little spiders in the ground)

basically, it is. PERFECT!!!

It has a row of raspberry canes left which I picked a few from yesterday- um um- I'll keep them!

I took pics but no idea how to upload them at the mo.  I've invested in some real heavy duty gloves and heavy duty sacks and me and my three year old will get started this afteroon. certainly a long term project. So excited to have my own little plot! 
Allotment Virgin!
Thirty-something Mum of one just taken on an allotment needing lots of work after a twelve month wait. Let the fun begin!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:26:46 »
for your pics; put them on a free hosting site like imagebucket. Once you upload them onto that site then you will have a URL that points to each picture. Copy that from the image hosting site.
In your post use the little picture tool button to put an "img" tag in your post: your URL then gets pasted in between that tag. When Your post appears the forum looks at the image hosting site and displays your picture. In other words you don't actually paste your picture onto the A4A forum, you are just giving a pointer to it.
I hope that is a clear explanation?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 13:18:11 »
ooh thanks for that Ill give it a go..
Allotment Virgin!

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 14:10:43 »
congrats vegemite! cant wait for the pics, i know how exciting this stage is!
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 15:26:55 »
Vegemite CONGRATULATIONS \0/.
Nice feeling isn't it?
Good idea to take lots of pics before you start, so you can compare when you have cleared enough and then see the difference.
I've only had my Lottie since 18th August, but I managed to finish all the digging yesterday. I would have finished earlier but had to wait three weeks before the wind was in the right direction before I could burn all the weeds and rubbish left from the previous plot holder.
I wasn't worried it took so long as I just love being there, lost in my own little world  ;D.
Great time of year really to get a new Lottie as you can take your time preparing properly for next Spring.
Happy Digging, Good Luck!
Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 15:33:14 »
Glad the plot turned out to be great.  Snoozisuzi is right about the glass - I cannot believe how much I am picking up and it is not all the same - some is bottle, some has wire mesh through it, some is mottled and ........    Mind you, I did find a piece of old clay pipe at the weekend with half its bowl - not in perfect condition but treasure just the same.  Happy treasure hunting........I mean weeding.

Twinkletoes

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 17:30:26 »
thanks guys. we had a good rummage this afternoon- my little one found a big metal vase which is her "treasure" now. I'm tempted to keep the old shed now I have ripped a lot of ivy off it. It will need some work but saves pulling it down etc.

I'm going to have a big bonfire to get rid of most of the rubbish/ weeds etc but have to wait until october. is it worth doing the beds before that? I have marked down a couple of them but thought maybe I should wait until the bonfire.

I am hoping I don't find too much glass I don't want my little one finding it  :-\
Allotment Virgin!

donlottie

• Half Acre
  • Stinging nettles as far as the eye can see!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 17:50:44 »
Congrats on your lottie!!!

Get digging now, you will be surprised how long it will take you, anything dug up, keep it dry and that can get burnt too, if not stick it in a corner somewhere and start your own compost heap

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 18:09:50 »
should i burn the ivy rather than composting it? I'm worried it will take root somehwere and grow again if i compost it.
Allotment Virgin!

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 19:42:39 »
burn it m8 or stick it in your councrl recycable bin.
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 19:57:24 »
Woohooooooooooooo vege, congrats on getting your plot  ;D

Look forward to seeing your progress, take plenty of piccies, you'll be amazed at how quickly it really does change  ;)

I'd say keep the shed, at least for now, it'll provide you somewhere dry to shelter when it rains, and store all your bits and bobs.  I have such dreams in my head for what our new shed will look like, but right now we're making do with the corrugated metal hut that our predecessor left behind  :D

Best of luck with the plot and happy digging  ;)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal