Author Topic: Victoria Plums!  (Read 6374 times)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
Victoria Plums!
« on: August 16, 2007, 07:50:56 »
I just ate my first Victoria Plum last night!  I was given the tree about 18months ago, so this is its first fruiting season.  It was delicious (of course).   ;D

My question is:  The other fruit is colouring up, but was still quite hard; how rapidly will it ripen?

My other question is:  Isn't it early?  I thought it was due more September-time.

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
Re: Victoria Plums!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 09:28:03 »
I have had my victoria plum for 2 1/2 years [it is on a dwarf rootstock], last year I got just a handfull of plums, this year we have had about five pounds of the most delicious fruit!  Ours seems to fruit in august, I think the timing depends on variety and I check the fruit most days as they will ripen quickly.  Pick the fruit when they are becoming soft to touch and enjoy :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 11:02:56 »
Ny Victoria died in last year's drought, but the point to pick them was as they became soft, before the wasps started taking too much of an interest. My Gambridge Gage is cropping at the moment; it's a bigger tree, and the time to take them is when you can shake them off the branches.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:18:06 »
Yes, once they start to change colour, you may pick them and they will ripen with no loss of flavour in the house. It also stops them from being attacked by Brown rot (as long as the spores are not already on the fruits when you pick them that is!).
Gardening is the great leveller.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 20:42:48 »
Following my own advice we have just picked some of our crop.
The big box contains about 70 pounds, so all in all about 100 pounds ,  so far!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:51:28 »
That looks lovely Eric. I think my plums are about ready. I do have a bit of a problem though. We have been eating fruit off the tree in a variety of ways for some 15 years and the kids groan every time I mention plums.  :( :( So what to do with them all? I suppose I could give them away. I have to be really careful picking them since I'm allergic to wasp stings.
Also the tree has brown rot. I pick off the affected fruit and burn it but how do I get rid of it completely? The brown rot that is, not the tree! ;)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:18:42 »
Wow Palustris!

My little tree has a way to go before I get that kind of harvest!  I'm hoping for 15 - 20 fruits in total!

And Grawrc, tell your kids they've had a pretty sweet life if they've had the chance to get bored of home grown plums!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 09:31:13 »
There does not appear to be a cure for Brown rot, other than normal garden hygiene. Some years are worse than others. This seems to be a particularly bed one. We often pick the fruit early as the damage done by wasps and birds and molluscs seem to increase the chances of it occurring.
As to what we do with the plums, we are a bit conservative really, jam (which I like), stewed to add to yogurt, Plum crumble (boring aren't we?), Plum cake, Clafouttie (spelling?) and of course all sorts of chutneys have a plum base.
We have the Brogdale Stone Fruit recipe book which has a lot of ideas in it, but most of them use dairy products so I cannot eat them. We got the book from the Amazon Market place as it is almost certainly out of print now.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 10:27:53 »
Thanks Eric. What a really helpful reply! Sounds like I need to get the stepladders out and get busy. How early can I pick them so that they ripen? Although I suppose for jam and chutney I could use them before they are ripe.

Miniroots I couldn't agree more. Spoilt brats the lot of them!! Two of them don't like raspberries or strawberries either for the same reason. All the more for me though! ;)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 11:28:35 »
For the best results in terms of ripeneing, they do need to be well on into purple (Victoria plums). Some say that the taste is not as good, but I cannot tell any difference. We keep them in the workshed by the way, but anywhere dry and safe would do.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 12:01:01 »
I split and stone the fruit before freezing, I have done about 12 lbs of greengages so far. Shall probably do some Vics if the lodgers next door do not take them all first (my neighbour said to pick the fruit and sell them).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 12:34:46 »
Beat me to it. We also puree a lot of them for use in cooking and jam making etc.  In fact we are still using some from last year.

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 23:29:57 »
I have had a huge harvest from my tree and mine all started really ripening in the last two weeks.

I have now completely stripped it... made 5 jars of plum chutney which I have never tried before and will test in a month... 8 jars of plum jam which is sheltering in the garage.

The rest I either stood and ate under the tree (I have had loads of stomach aches recently!!!) or cut in half, stoned, and frozen.

Now my damson tree is straining under the weight and at our allotment competition today I swapped bag loads of them with different plot holders for their produce. I love this swapping thing. I still get loads to make jam and damson gin(mmmm) and get lots of other things by swapping!!

And this year has been the best plum year for me so far... lots of other things failed in the wet, but the fruit has thrived.
Lin

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 08:09:50 »
Hurrah for the rain!

I've picked about half now - and I'm going mental with blackberries too.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 21:25:22 »
I have just been making ' winders' - the dried fruit that is rolled up and marketed towards children. So far apple and blackcurrent and blackberry and apple and redcurrent.
My son thinks I am wonderful ( he has just become a teenager so I am not always thought of favourably)-  I have bought these winders on a couple of occasions when they were being promoted and the price was reduced. Have generally refused as quite expensive especially the way he eats them.
I would imagine plums could be used for this, but probably would need to mix with apple for right consistency.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 21:33:11 »
My Victorias were caught by a late frost so very few this year, but we haven't eaten all the ones from the freezer yet! My Cambridge Gage is just coming ready. Didn't realise you couldn't do dairy either Palustris... used to love plum crumble and "Custard"
 :(

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 21:43:35 »
lady of the land please post the recipe for your winders and how to make them thanks

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 22:32:02 »
Use cooking apples - Heat with small amount of water add in any other fruit ie. Blackcurrents and sugar as required until soft. Puree and sieve. Spread this pulp mix out on baking parchment ( not greaseproof as tends to stick) on a baking sheet. This needs to dry out in oven on low temp ie. 60oC for 6hrs or more. I found oven did not fully dry fruit so put in oven for short time and then airing cupboard for 12 - 24 hrs did the trick. Use knife to cut into strips, wind up and store in sealed container.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 23:59:36 »
Coo! Better send that recipe to Bill Gates, it might be better than his winders.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 07:41:34 »
thank you lady of the land i will give it a go

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal