Author Topic: Jerusalem Artichokes  (Read 1180 times)

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
Jerusalem Artichokes
« on: August 22, 2007, 15:48:49 »
Can I grow these in a bucket?   As previously posted we are justa bout to move house...27 days and counting..lol This means that I have to give up my lottie. The rent is paid up till January so no rush to clear it. Have my first crop of Jerusalem Artichokes coming along nicely and wondered if I could pot some up into a large tub or bucket . The house we are moving to has a concrete back yard but scop in the front to be turned into a decent size garden...once i have removed the black plastic and gravel.
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Re: Jerusalem Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 16:13:15 »
I've been growing JA in a bucket this year as I wasn't sure if I actually like them.  They seem to be doing fine, but have to watch they don't dry out.

SP x

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 16:36:59 »
great, many thanks. Have you tried them yet? We love them, especially cooked like roast potataoes in olive oil and rosemary...yummmy!!!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 17:24:33 »
Don't dig them up now, the results will be poor. As the rent is paid until Jan you would be far better to leave them growing until mid november then dig all the tubers to eat or plant elsewhere.

They will grow in a large container provided they get enough water and fertilizer but yields are far lower and pots are prone to falling over.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 21:14:28 »
So Eristic dig them up in November? I think I planted in Spring

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 00:16:32 »
All the top growth will die in late autumn. This is all annual growth from the tubers. The tubers normally start to develop from now onwards and are not normally at full size until late autumn. The shortage of sunlight this year may have changed that but as you have no urgent rush to remove them, I recommend leaving them well into November. The later the better provided there is no serious frost. The mature tubers will then keep in a pot or bucket until march provided they remain slightly damp and free from frost. This gives the maximum time for you to regroup at your new location.

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 06:08:21 »
Had planned to leave them in the ground for as long as possible anyway. When should I replant them in the ground?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 07:45:42 »
Any time in Winter.. they are virtually indestructible... just make sure they are several inches down to avoid being frozen... 3-6" is enough depending on the soil..
 :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal