Author Topic: Advice needed for surprise BBQ  (Read 5921 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Advice needed for surprise BBQ
« on: August 11, 2007, 14:36:37 »
HI Guys,

Its my hubbies birthday at the end of the month, he knows were having a bbq. What he does not know is that i have invited a lot of his friends and work friends.

I was planning

Sausages, burgers, potato salad, salad, bread rolls all typical bbq faire.

I was also planning making friday when hes at work and hiding in a friends fridge

Tandori Chicken Drumsticks (started on bbq and finished in oven)
Lamb Kofta Kebabs
Chicken Kebabs
and an cold onion and tomato tart (http://www.stephencooks.com/2006/03/onion_tomato_ta.html)

I was planning on ordering this week a birthday cake and a cheesecake (might make one but that would be harder to hide) but will make a coolis out of my raspberries  ;D.

The BBQ is for 10-15 people any other suggestions??

Cambourne7

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Advice needed for surprise BBQ
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 17:42:55 »
Garlic bread, assorted dips, salad bowl, bowl of pasta, for the veggies, or anyone who likes it. i have a recipe i always use.Onion bargees??, plate of cold meat, mini pork pies,dishes of assorted pickles, how about hard boiled eggs cut lengthways sprinkled with maonaise/chives yummy, corn on the cob.
Any help at all just a few suggestions.
Hope he is not hiding in a friends fridge to long, Hahahahaha!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 18:01:58 »
I have a nice layered salad that looks lovely in a glass bowl, and has to be made the day to be at it's best so is very convenient.

I use a tall stemmed staright sided trifle dish for this one so you can see the layers well.

I medium head of lettuce with preferrably  a bit of spinach or cos  lettuce added in for interest.

1 cup thin sliced celery

6 Hard boiled eggs

10 ounces of cooked frozen peas

1/2 cup fine chopped red pepper

8 chopped spring onions, white and green

8 cooked, cooled  and crumbled bacon slices,,smoked is best

6 ounce tin of water chestnuts sliced very thin

1 cup mayo 

1 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons sugar

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

4 more cooked and crumbled bacon slices

Tear lettuce into bite size pieces and put into dish, then scatter each layer over in the order given  up to the ********************

Mix mayo with sour cream and sugar,spread over top being careful to seal right to the edges.

Scatter grated cheese on top  of sour cream mix,then scatter bacon on.

Seal well with plastic wrap.

Store in fridge for 24 hours.It will feef 10-12.

Cam, this one always go down very well at parties and is amazingly fresh.

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 18:04:52 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 18:14:37 »
Jeannine,I would like an invite to your house for tea please  ;) ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 18:17:21 »
I always make a blackcurrant cheesecake for BBQs too, sort of expected here!!

A five bean salad as an extra is easy and again is done the day before.all with tin beans so very easy . Have recipe if you want it.

I would do veggie tray with a dip and possibly  a fruit one with a suitable dip (have recpes for these too)

I have  several jellied salads that are make ahead, all different flavours and colours, and also several frozen  side salads

We like an ambrosia salad at BBQs too with marshmalloes etc

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 19:14:17 »
jellied salad?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 19:22:50 »
Another good dish is lightly fried mushrooms and onion, cooked rice and lashings of soya sauce. Hot or cold. Raw grated
courgettes with a little dressing.If you have any raspberries ,Eton Mess ,so easy and quick. Have a good do ,that is if you have time to enjoy!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 19:30:23 »
Yes jellied salads, Ihave recipes for :

Jellied gazpacho
One with cream cheese
One with shredded cabbage,celery,peas,pepper
blue cheese
cucumber and cream cheese
cottahe cheese and carrot
cuke an onion
cuke and pineapple
cuke, cream cheese,nuts
piment
mixed veggie
cranberry
waldorf
beet
tomato
asparagus
dill pickle
tomato cheese

plus about the same amount of fruit ones.

They are very popular in North America and are usually ofund at BBQ's functions etc

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 21:05:59 »
jeannine i am interested in the fruit tray with dip and what is an ambrosia salad.
cambourne what about a big bowl of savoury rice you can use lots of chopped veg boiled rice seasoned however you like ie curried etc and can be served either hot or cold, quiche or frittata again hot or cold and would use a lot of different veg that you may already have and a nice simple pudding, buy ready made meringue nests top with fruit oof any description berrys etc top with cream or yogurt very quick very simple fruit pavlova

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 21:47:13 »
Ambrosia is a fruit salad, folks serve it on a mixed salad bar, some eat with their green salads and some as a dessert.

1 cup sour cream
2 cups whipped cream
1 large tin of very well drained pineapple bits
2 tins of very well drained manderin oranges
2 cups of white mini marshmallows
2 cups flaked coconut
2 teaspoons grated orange peel

Blend creams together. mix all other ingredients together and fold in gently.

Fridge for a couple of hours or so.

It will serve 10

For a fruit plate, cut fruit of the season into chunks and arrange on platter. In the centre put a bowl of fruit dip, this can be anything, a pretty pink one is made with

1 cup mayo.
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 fine chopped almonds
1/3 cup fine chopped and drained pineapple
1/4 cup fine chopped marachino cherries
1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
about 1 cup of stiff whipped cream

Blend creams and gently fold other ingredients in, sprinkle with chopped almonds

Chill and serve to dip fruit in

Another fruit dip

1 cup sour cream
 1 cup whipping cream.. measured before you whip it...then whip it
1/4 cup soft brown sugar
1 tablespoon dark rum
1 tablespoon Grandmanier

Blend Creamn and sour cream, mix all other things together well and blend in with creams.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 22:18:13 by Jeannine »

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 21:49:13 »
thanks guys.

Hubbie has annoyed me so much today that i have seriously considered canceling the party but i will probably get over it by then.

Jeannine can you let me have the cheesecake and the 5 bean salad recipies.

Thanks guys.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 22:02:18 »
             five bean salad

Made with tinned beans Tina are about 14 ounces you will need

1 green beans chopped in chunks
1 yellow wax beans hopped in chunks
Lima Beans
Kidney beans
garbanzo beans

some sliced onion rings about a cup

Small jar of pimento or bake  read pepper, and use the fklesh from that

1 cup thin cliced celery
12-1 cup of sugat,,,to yout taste
1/2 teasppon od dry not English mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoond olive oil

Put all veggies in bowl

Blend oil, all other espices and vinegar and pour over beans.

ccover in fridge for 24 hours, it keeps for weeks, serve with a slotted spoon Serves 25

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 22:04:54 »
Cam I will post the cheescake tomorroe I have to cahange some quantities as I make a huge one

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 22:55:30 »
thanks J your an angel!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 07:21:02 »
A quick recipe I love is Ginger Snap pudding.

Beat some cream till thick. Dip ginger biscuits into orange juce for a few seconds only (or they will go too squdgy) I do this a few at a time so they dont spend too much time in the orange juice. Put them in a bowl in alternate layers with some of the cream, snapping pieces to fit to the edges. Refridgerate till needed. 24 hours is good, as the flavour of the ginger and orange really gets into the cream.

I originally heard about this ages ago, when the recipe said to line the ginger snaps up like a catterpillar with cream between and then cover the catterpillar with cream. This was much too fiddly for me, so I developed the lazy bowl method ;D

cj :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 10:38:19 »
I like the sound of the Ginger snap, I am going to try that one.Thank you Caroline.

Blackcurrant cheesecake

Crust. 1/2 cup butter,11/2 cups crushed digestibe biscuits,melt butter ,mix iwth crumbs and press gently into a 9x9 inch baking tin.ake at 350f for about 10 minutes and cool

Filling
8 ounces of cream cheese.1 cup sugar.1 tabelsepoon lemon juice. Beat together well.

Make up 1 envelope of topping, I think you call it Dream Whip here with  1/2 cup whipping cream. Make the topping using the cream instead of the milk it says on the packet.

Gently blend cream mixture into cream cheese mixture. Chill well, overnight is best

Spread blackcurrant pie filling ove top after chilled.

Re the pie filling. I buy Morrisons which is very convenient if I don't have my own blackcurrants.

If I make my own I simmer them with enough sugar  to taste and when soft I thicken them with cornflour and a little bit of water.

I tend to make this much bigger than the recipe above as it is a standard one I take to pot lucks and everyone likes it so I make it in a 9 x 18 tin.

I also often increase the amount of filling to give a higher cheesecake.

XX Jeannine

I

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 11:25:08 »
Frozen Chocolate Bananas.

Cut bananas in half, stick a cocktail stick in the cut end and put in the freezer on trays.  Leave them for a couple of hours.

Melt some chocolate and dip the frozen bananas in to coat the ends.  The chocolate will set quickly.  Stick them back in the freezer until just before you are ready to serve them.

These can look very rude and will be a talking point.  ;D They are also delicious and taste like banana ice cream.

Tip:  have something to stick the dipped bananas in as you work, so the choc doesn't smudge before it sets.  Half a marrow, squash or melon or something like that will do.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 12:52:36 »
thanks guys

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 14:03:46 »
Garlic bread, assorted dips, salad bowl, bowl of pasta, for the veggies, or anyone who likes it. i have a recipe i always use.Onion bargees??, plate of cold meat, mini pork pies,dishes of assorted pickles, how about hard boiled eggs cut lengthways sprinkled with maonaise/chives yummy, corn on the cob.
Any help at all just a few suggestions.
Hope he is not hiding in a friends fridge to long, Hahahahaha!!

Don't be so modest, tell Cambourne about all of the other delicious fresh things you prepare for your BBQs & Buffets!  Speaking of which, I'm probably heading up on Thurs this week, what's the weather going to be like ...... ??   :P ;D

PS  Conchigli ..... hint hint ....  ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 22:18:54 »
Hi Cambourne, have you ever made pasta shells for finger food they are Fab, i have passed the recipe so many times half the country must have it by now ;D ;D ;D,.
  Sorry i forgot to say they are CONCHIGLIE SHELLS, so very morish.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 22:23:13 by rosebud »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal