Author Topic: Advice needed for surprise BBQ  (Read 5922 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Advice needed for surprise BBQ
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 11:59:41 »
thanks rosebud i was thinking of something like that.

Savageblue i guess its going to be windy but i dont think you will have much rain  :-[

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 13:25:07 »
Ooo, Cambourne, sorry if you thought I was being cheeky, that comment was aimed at my mum (Rosebud) She does a lovely bbq/buffet and my sis and I are heading up there tomorrow so I was trying to drop not so subtle hints to her  ;D ;D

The conchiglie shells always come out lovely.  Not only that but they can be prepared the night before to save time.  Very easy to handle and can have so many different fillings.

Veggie kebabs, meat & veggie kebabs always go down a winner, specially with assorted dips/sauces.

I like to fry together diced potato, chopped onion, chopped carrot, some chopped greens, stir in a little maple syrup and some herbs/spices of choice.  This can be eaten hot or cold so again, can be prepared the night before.  Sometimes (if I can be bothered lol) I will put it in the oven to sticky up the maple syrup. 

Markfield Rover, your mushrooms, onions etc sounds delish, I might give that a go  ;D

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 13:28:08 »
Slices of Halloumi cheese are nice done on the BBQ.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 13:55:33 »
Ooo, Cambourne, sorry if you thought I was being cheeky, that comment was aimed at my mum (Rosebud) She does a lovely bbq/buffet and my sis and I are heading up there tomorrow so I was trying to drop not so subtle hints to her  ;D ;D

The conchiglie shells always come out lovely.  Not only that but they can be prepared the night before to save time.  Very easy to handle and can have so many different fillings.

Veggie kebabs, meat & veggie kebabs always go down a winner, specially with assorted dips/sauces.

I like to fry together diced potato, chopped onion, chopped carrot, some chopped greens, stir in a little maple syrup and some herbs/spices of choice.  This can be eaten hot or cold so again, can be prepared the night before.  Sometimes (if I can be bothered lol) I will put it in the oven to sticky up the maple syrup. 

Markfield Rover, your mushrooms, onions etc sounds delish, I might give that a go  ;D

Naw your ok i can take a little cheak :)

Hubbies alergic to mushrooms but theres lots of options on this thread for me to use ;)

Just got a price for a birthday cake £35!! so i am going to make one myself  ;D

Going to pull a shopping list together next week and work out what i am making the friday before the party.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 16:47:57 »
We have an annual BBQ in Aug (was last Sat). We had 40 people over so I had to plan the menu carefully! We had:

*Pork and Apple Kebabs - thick pork chops cut into cubes and marinated in bramley apple sauce, black pepper and honey on sticks with 1/4's of dessert apples
*Chicken Korma - made in the slow cooker and left cooking all day
*Vegetable Madras - slow cooker again
*Beef Chilli - slow cooker!
*Whole Salmon wrapped in foil with white wine and various verbs and steamed
*Sirloin steaks. We are lucky enough to be able to buy these at 1.5inches thick so i just cooked them to medium and poured over a marinade made with soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and red chilli
*A few burgers and sausages for the kids
*Mixed salad, Coleslaw, Potato Salad, Noodle Salad
*Boiled Rice, Pittas and Naans
*Sweetcorn
*Big plate of tortilla chips with dips

the idea of having something done in a slow cooker is good as it gives people something to eat whilst the bbq food is being cooked and relieves some of the pressure on you to get food served!

My lesson for next year is to only invite 25 people! 40 was a bit mad!!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 17:04:17 »
Sounds like fun, largest party i personaly catered for is about 30.

But that was an indoor sit down supper where i had 2 hours notice in my grandmothers house, being irish this became Irish Stew potatos and dumplings , home made bacon lasanga with salad and garlic bread with apple pie for desert.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 17:04:25 »
Some where I have a recipe I made up years ago for a fondue that I used to serve in a crockpot, with chunks of French Bread to dip in.It was expensive to make as it was seafood, containing crab and lobster, I will try and find it if you are tempted.

The other one I use frequently in the baked loaf with a dip baked inside, everybody loves it.. do you have that one, very easy and goes fast.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 11:00:46 »
Did you go ahead with it?  What did you make?  Was it a hit?   :D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 11:05:28 »
not till the end of the month :-)

Dont worry i willl tell all when it happens, and it looks like my sweetcorn might be ready in time :-)

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 09:39:52 »
No mention of drink as yet!

Can I suggest for 10-15 people the easiest way to serve drinks, is not to do it yourself, allow your guests to pour their own.

3-litre wine boxes are ideal for this. A couple placed strategically around the garden will allow guests to squirt as much or little vino as they like. No mess, no bottles to clink to the bottle bank. Any supermarket own label Vin Rouge/Blanc or Italian white Soave will work well. They'll have enough oomph to match barbecue food, rounded fruity flavours that the majority of people like and usually only 11% alcohol. 

Beer. Sainsbury's have a 5-litre keg of Heineken. You'll need a big fridge to cool this down though.

Low alcohol/Non-alcoholic - please avoid any wine labelled de-alcoholised or low alcohol. De-alcoholised 'wines' taste like cardboard, low alcohol (9% ish) taste very very sweet. Just drink less wine instead if this is an issue. Or try Ame fruit juice and sparkling water drinks. My favourite long drink is orange juice and proper ginger beer mix. Tonic water works as a good substitute.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 14:39:41 »
Pimms.

Get a party pack
here

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 18:04:45 »
Might be a bit late to start Cambourne, but ideas for cake for a man, if you are not familiar with her already,take a look at the  Debbie Brown site, all the books are pictured  and every cake from every book is pictured.  She has a vast range of cakes,they can be as naughty or nice as you like,actually it is great site just for ideas. I do have all her books  but the last two and do a lot of my cakes from them, she covers just about everything from kids to saucy ones.

Go to the site and tap on books.

www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 18:10:54 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2007, 18:52:48 »
thanks guys quite a few of his mates cant make it so going to be a smaller afair :)

There beer (real ale) drinkers and i have a pin (30 odd pints ) going to be collected thursday ( along with more spent hops ) from local brewer.

Hes getting a baked cheesecake and the chocolate beetroot fudge cakes :-) but i will have a look at the link thanks again jeannine.

I am also adding manaraded courgette/marrow slices to the mix.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2007, 15:20:46 »
Hi Guys,

Up till 2am making the mango and raspberry cheesecake and the maranade for the tandori chicken.

The chocolate fudge cake (with beetroot) is in the oven and is due to come out in 15 min to allow it to cool for icing.

Made a couple of rice dishes which are cooling.

Beer and Wine in fridge :-)

Sweetcorn not ready yet :-(

Just going to slice and marinade sliced pepper, abergne and beetroot for bbq'ing, and a second marande for the chicken kebabs.

Our friends are brining salads (greek and potato).

Just going out to ( and dont laugh ) hoover the decking :-)

Cambourne7

ps also been to lotty to pick up herbs i have one which looks like mint but smells lemony any ideas??

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2007, 18:44:40 »
chocolate beetroot fudge cakes

Do you live in Dibley, and is your name Mrs Cropley?   ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007, 00:48:05 »
HI Guys,

Well people have just left i have my feet up, cup of tea to hand and dishes soaking.

The chocolate cake went down a storm and I have 2 slices left for tomorrow, along with a whole cheesecake left ( i should have know 2 was 1 to many )

Probably did way 2 much food as usual and i have loads left ;-)

I took a photo of the chocolate fudge cake after i cut it so you could see it and will post tomorrow :)

Cambourne7

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2007, 07:51:12 »
Glad it went down well......have a lie in this morning! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2007, 17:17:54 »
glad it went well did you tell them what was in the cake? did anyone believe you? looks good too if you have a piece left mmm wish you could email cake

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal