Author Topic: Has blight struck yet?  (Read 8572 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
Has blight struck yet?
« on: July 10, 2007, 20:53:32 »
Hi guys was wondering what the blight situation was like near you. Our potatoes were showing the first signs of it so we whipped them out now our tomatoes appear to have it now.

Here is a picture of our Tomato Blight on plants

Our location is notorious for blight but this is the first year we have had any issues?

Whats your plot like? better? worse? don't grow tomatoes because of the problem? have a solution to blight?

Other news from the plot this week. 15 kilo of poataoes are liftted, shallots and onions are near ripe. First runners are seen, more fruit and the atlantic giant fruit has formed.

Regards
Lottieblogs

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Re: Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 20:58:55 »
yep ,i got potato and tomato blight ..1st time in 5 yrs.ps. im in dorset

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 21:04:34 »
I think I have blight on my spuds, a couple of them are yellowing, droopy and have kind of brown spots on them.  I've dug them up, and the spuds underneath are fine, but the original tuber is looking sort of flat.  I'm new to this, but it can't be good. :(

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 21:14:40 »
I'm also in Dorset and have the first signs,dark leaf blotching on my Picasso main crop but not on all  plants..tomatoes too..Dug two haulms of my picasso's out of interest and had 10 lb of spuds. :o

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 21:36:41 »
I think we are ok here in Upton Gloucester.
Lots of the 'experienced' guys are spraying their potatoes blue!!
One newcomer has chopped his tops off, but he had the yellowing like I have, but from discussion on here it is just that thy are old and getting ready for digging up.
Not seen or heard anything on the tomato front.
The organic veg company that I work for are based in Devon, they have got blight on their spuds.
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 21:39:46 »
No blight on the potatoes but the tomatoes going down fast.  I very much doubt I shall get a single ripe tomato this year.  Serves me right for buying a passata machine.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 21:54:06 »
Me too MM - have the machine and the bottles and the San Marzano.............

Pulled up one whole plant today - blight on the main stem.  On the others, I am trimming and cutting back and keeping everything crossed.

Back to the bland but blight resistant Ferline next year :'(

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 22:05:48 »
Crickey!
Been on the plot & so far so good?
Weather not good though is it?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 22:12:02 »
at least wiv spuds you can pull greenery off and spuds will prob be ok, but wiv toms you lose the lot

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 22:19:40 »
yep, blight on potatoes in Manchester too

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 22:31:39 »
Blight in Notts as well :(
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 22:33:49 »
My tomato plants are blue, along with many others on the plot thanks to Bordeaux mix.  Just hope we did it in time as there are the first signs of blight on our site.  :'(

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 22:37:47 »
Blight in Notts as well :(

And in my bit of Notts. :'(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 23:11:12 »
My spuds developed the dreaded blotches on the stems and leaves, then they stopped spreading and dried up. I don't know what it is, but it's not blight.

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 23:22:37 »
I think I have blight on my spuds, a couple of them are yellowing, droopy and have kind of brown spots on them.  I've dug them up, and the spuds underneath are fine, but the original tuber is looking sort of flat.  I'm new to this, but it can't be good. :(

Newbies that's normal, the original seed spud always shrivels up and sometimes turns into a mushy rotten mess. :)

Yellowing/droopy haulms might be normal too if they're earlies, just means they've finished and are ready to dig up.

If they're main crop it might be a prob tho....
You been goofin' with the bees?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 23:53:49 »
Yes in Lincoln.  The whole of our site has it.  I have been removing leaves to slow it but a bit of a pointless task when my nearest neighbour has just left a vast swathe of wizened haulms on his plot (and he lives next to the site).  Both toms and pots affected but pots worse.  Only ever had it on Toms in October before.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

David R

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 09:46:01 »
off to the garden centre at lunch time to buy some blue. fraid the pots and toms are showing 1st signs. never had a problem so early before. Next year i shall only grow resistant varieties ::)

Rhys

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 13:13:50 »
Here in France we have had as much rain as the UK this year and recently everyone's potatoes and tomatoes are going black and dying.

Here are some pics of my maincrop spuds, does this look like it's just dieback and the spuds will be ready to lift soon or is it blight?
I cannot see any white spores or mould.

My second earlies did the same thing recently too. I've had a look at the spuds in the ground and they are full size. Should I cut the tops off and burn them and lift the spuds in a few weeks?

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 13:30:26 »
we've all had it on our site in norwich :(
my 1st earlies were mostly OK but I need to cut off the tops of my 2nd earlies
(maincrop never made it into the ground, still chitting on top of my wardrobe :-[ may try the xmas crop thing...)
it's completely wiped out lots of people's tomatoes though.

rhys: that's what my spuds looked like and I was told it was blight, but I've only been allotmenting for 6 months so I wouldn't like to say if your spuds have it or not, sorry :-\

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 14:11:06 »
That looks like blight to me too - it's the brown patches on the stems that are the give away -  the foliage, when it dies off naturally, as it does, goes all kinds of blotchy colours and this can be misleading

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal