Author Topic: Has blight struck yet?  (Read 8570 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2007, 23:54:46 »
I think it stoo late for Bordeaux to help my toms, especialy whilst the weather continues to be wet. As soon as it is applies it will be washed off without doing any good at all.

My first experience of blight was 5 years ago in 2002, when my entire outdoor crop was devastated. The following year was of course hot and dry so no blight risk. The next time was in 2004, but I only got it on some bush types planted in the ground far too close together (i realised too late - a lesson learnt there). My pot grown cordons escaped somehow. Since then If the weather has been even slightly damp around late july/early august (the USUAL danger time for blight to hit) then i would give them a preventative spray of bordeaux, which seemed to work.

This year of course the blight has hit much earlier than expected and has caught me out somewhat (and many of you as well i guess). I did not realise what was happening untll it was too late.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2007, 00:06:01 »
Between blight and the floods, my toms have now definitely had it.

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2007, 00:47:51 »
I thought I would check under diseases to see what I could get for the blight which has affected my tomatoes, all of which I planted in my back garden against a sunny wall in pots.

But seeing as there is such a huge thread on this horrible attack on us all this year, will add mine to this.

Today I spent ages cutting loads of the plants and they were all doing so well too, it is definitely heartbreaking... because of the early good start to the weather I started with an excellent crop and now virtually nothing.

But looking at all the replies will go out and buy Dithane 945 tomorrow and hope it helps the few I have left. Sad year ...
Lin

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2007, 11:57:09 »
I should have added that what has not helped is that I could not put most of my plants in the place i normaly grow them. They normaly are grown along a warm south/southwest facing fence sheltered also by autumn raspberries there I guess they are protected a bit from the worst of the weather. I put a few plants down ther and they seem the least affected.  I could not put them all there because the fence was badly damaged in a winter storm and has still not been replaced (neighbour problem - another story), thus the tomatoes would not have had the protection they normaly have (from cold northerly winds).

Putting them elsewhere in more sheltered positions, albeit expsed to all the rain this summer, has i am sure contributed to the blight problem

dazem11

• Not So New ...
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2007, 18:05:24 »
yep we had it here on ours in Kempston,last year we had a great crop,this year not great though.Have loads of green tomatoes,but plants starting to blacken.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal