Author Topic: Has blight struck yet?  (Read 8573 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
Re: Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 20:32:27 »
If you aint already got the blight give em a spraying of Dithane945 ..
It will help to protect them against it ...

is it organic?

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 21:45:04 »
I've had blight on my toms before, a few years ago and remember it looking like the photos from Rhys. 

Checked mine yesterday and although still lovely and green, some have one or two tightly curled leaves.  Is this the early signs of blight or something else? :-\

Donna :)
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

powerspade

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2007, 06:33:55 »
I had got away with it until  I went down the plot yesterday. Majestic -clean, King Edwards - clean, Desiree - early signs of blight. In the past I have always cut off and dug up affected plants but this year I`m going to try out picking off affected leaves and spraying with Dithane. All my earlies (Arron Pilot) are ok but are now dying back (drowned with rain), only four plants left, should use them next week or so.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2007, 17:19:33 »
I had a quick visit today and noticed blight on the second earlies, so I've cut that foliage off and will leave the spuds for a couple of weeks before lifting. There are a few small patches on my Desirees, so I picked those off by hand and will watch them closely.....toms seem ok at the moment (fingers crossed).....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2007, 20:32:42 »
Yes. Potatoes wiped out (they were a washout anyway, in more senses than one), and the toms will doubtless follow shortly.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2007, 20:41:38 »

'nuff said.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 06:09:35 »
 :( We grubbed up several tomato plants yesterday.  No signs on the others yet, but I'm not hopeful.

Potatoes look OK so far.

blisters

• Quarter Acre
  • Dorset
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 10:53:40 »
Potatoes came down yesterday.  Will cut and trim tonight and hope for the best.

Toms OK at the moment, but they are so pathetic this year I'm not very hopeful even without blight :'(

Raisedbed

• Not So New ...
  • Hampshire
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 17:56:51 »
Blight on my Marmandes but not on the Ailsa Craig next to them.  Bit disappointed as I covered them in Bordeaux mixture 10 days ago when there were no signs and did nothing to stop it.   Have now cut out all the bad bits and sprayed with Dithane 945 in the hope I might save them.   First attempt at growing outdoor toms and Marmandes and I've got some the size of the palm of my hand.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2007, 18:11:18 »
All of my early spuds which should have come out by now - Kestrel, have blight, so I went over today cutting back most of the foliage, picking off iffy bits.  The rest of the spuds, Maxine, PFA and others which I can't remember have signs, so I went through and picked off the dodgy leaves.  I will cut them back as late as I can get away with and leave them put for a few weeks before digging.  Tomatos so far so good although I did notice a couple of poorly looking leaves, but it is very easy to get carried away and assume a dying leaf is a sign of blight, when it could just be a dying leaf. 

pompeydude

• Not So New ...
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2007, 03:18:01 »
Hello all.
could some one tell me if these poor photos show that i have blight on my greenhouse toms ???
if it is what other veg can it spread to, as i have Cucumbers and chilli's and peppers in the green house as well.
also  can i keep the toms that i have on the plants or will they all succumb to the blight

sorry they are such poor quality.
so far i have no signs of blight on my spuds or outdoor tom's
are my Cue's and peppers/chilli's going to be OK ??
and what of the affected toms can i save if i act now  ??
yer !! but this goes up to eleven

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 06:31:19 »
I'm copying these here because people don't seem to be looking in the Pest & Disease Section!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 07:37:02 »
It does look like the early stages.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2007, 13:55:14 »
i cut mine down when i saw it on other plots. don,t grow tomatoes up there as we always get it altho it is early this year. i noticed the first prize plot has it all over rows of toms and potatoes. trying very hard not to feel smug well not untill i have dug mine up (at least 2 weeks after chopping off i believe) if they are good
i shall take smugness to a new level you have been warned!!
toms are at home in greenhouse, got to let some air in but am keeping the door closed. have had it in there late in the season
marg

Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2007, 16:29:35 »
there is a site called blightwatch.co.uk that I believe you can track the blight.  I am not sure if you can register being a private person though ???

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2007, 17:53:42 »
A much used site but, rather than wait for a warning, so much better to start the spray routine in good time?

IF the weather would let you!!

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2007, 18:24:55 »
Staffordshire got hit a few weeks ago. My Toms were yanked out 2 wks ago, :'( :'( am still crying. There was just over 4 lbs (sorry still in imperial) of green toms which I harvested, not knowing whether they would survive I let them stand for 7-8 days, day by day a few of them succumbed, I ended up with 300g of green fruit which I turned into chutney yesterday, not a big fan of green tomato chutney but I felt the need to do something with them!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2007, 19:57:52 »
FRIED green tomatoes?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2007, 07:34:44 »
Blightwatch has it's uses ( and it is free to register) but you only get a warming after a Smith period, and when I check the website, I usually find there have been several before the warning went out. I always seem to start getting warnings before blight hits though.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2007, 10:45:18 »
Noticed blight on my Marmande toms. I've cut off the affected leaves and stems and will look into spraying. The potatoes are showing early signs of blight too. I cut down the haulms of the 2nd earlies and early maincrops, but am hesitant to cut down the Pink Fir Apple  :-\.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal