Author Topic: Has anyone NOT got rain today?  (Read 6094 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Has anyone NOT got rain today?
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2007, 15:19:18 »
Had a break in the weather today but more is forecast tonight, i took advantage of it and got two rows of Rocket out i think it worked out about 50% the slugs had been at and the other half untouched. I got no little spuds all big chippers.
I only wish that some of you members that got flooded out lived close enough to share them.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 16:05:31 »
yesterday we had a family day out (well 2thirds as wild childs in la la land) at stourhead in wiltshire and managed to avoid any heavy rain! (few spits and spots) we even managed a picnic! on the way back through bath it tipped down
it,s funny every trip we have been on with my s-i-l lately has turned out fine ish
i am thinking of hiring him out (new idea for e-bay?)
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2007, 16:25:06 »
Blue sky now  ;D
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2007, 16:29:39 »
Yesterday afternoon and evening dry and warm with sme sunny 8) spells, I even popped out for a few ciders, today heavy showers most of the day :'(  but hang on the suns out 8) will it last.  ??? :-\   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2007, 16:51:22 »
Bah humbug, gone cloudy

edit - its now raining
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 16:57:09 by Multiveg »
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2007, 18:59:39 »
Nope! Rain most of the time here in Dorset. When its not raining its grey and cold. if it wasnt for the flowers in the garden you would be forgiven for thinking it was November!

Heartily sick of it, and so is most of the garden (that of it that hasnt been eaten by rain loving slugs and snails that is! >:().Battered and soggy just about sums it up.  I could go on and on and have a good rant and moan about it, but i will not inflict that on you. i am sure you all feel the same way!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 19:01:32 by Garden Apprentice »

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2007, 19:31:00 »
 :) torrential rain and thunder storms today fed up /shades x
grow your own way

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2007, 22:54:49 »
Torrential rain here for the last half hour - I hope that the rain is not like this in all the areas affected by flooding.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2007, 13:45:32 »
it's been heavy showers on and off all day today, still, we had to get the veggies in for tea, parsnips, carrots, cabbage, also, the soft fruit doesn't stop growing even if it rains  ;D
hope all you people are ok in the wetter areas  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 14:05:03 »
Had a freeky morning.

Got up and came downstairs for breakfast.

Sat down and looked out window blue sky a little windy but idea lotty weather rubbing hands together in glee i walked back into the kitchen to put the kettle on to fill up my flask to go to the lotty with me. Opened curtains and was shocked to see the sky is black  :'(

Within 5 min the heavens have opened and the rain is falling like stair rods!!

It rained for 2 hours!! Its lighen up now but its still raining !

I am never going to see my lotty again  :-\

Cambourne7

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2007, 14:16:35 »
Not too bad today.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2007, 14:19:00 »
It is absolutely thrashing down at the moment, I think one of our gutters must be a bit blocked 'coz it is overflowing the end and pouring down like a fully open tap!! So much for me going and digging up some potatoes for tea..... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2007, 18:41:06 »
I got a call-out last night for the same reason. Overspill on the guttering. With all this rain the gutters fill up faster and dislodge moss and the like which flow toward to down-pipe and block the water exit. Lift the rubbish out and it'll be ok.

( Another £2.80p jobby)... :(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 18:56:08 by kenkew »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2007, 18:46:56 »
Suunny spells  8) rain  :( sun  8) more rain  :'( sunny spells thunder and lightening  high winds rain  :-\ sun  aaaahhhhhhhhhh :P :P :P :P :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2007, 18:47:57 »
Ah the boys used our new Kärcher to clean the gutters. Fair makes a difference when there is torrential rain.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2007, 18:54:32 »
Did a 'Karcher' on the roof of an extension last week. Boy, the muck that comes off is quite something. When (  :-\ ) the sun shines it's a heck of a difference.
( Got £2.80p) for that job... :(

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2007, 21:27:56 »
Thunderstorms and big hailstones a couple of hours ago. Lovely clear evening now.
You been goofin' with the bees?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2007, 22:12:00 »
I made a run for the lotty to check on things 5 min there, 3 min on plot 10 min hiding in the car and 10 min trying to lock the site balancing an umbrella with the padlock.

But in the 5 min i was on the plot i managed to plant out 4 courgettes and one more pumpkin and pop some slug pellets down. As well as transplant the last of my mini sweetcorn and the last of my runner beans. Phew!

I knew i had to make a run for it when the lightning started to fly across the sky!

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2007, 11:53:05 »
I'm going to try that trick tonight cambourne as snails got most of my fledgling squashes  :'(. Will plant more stuff, maybe watercress?  :D Rice is another good idea.
Last night went to the lottie to talk about the upcoming event at the allotment this weekend, wound up being just me and the supervisor (the others were frightened off because of the rain, lightweights!  ;D), and the heavens opened up. Meeting over, run home. Yeesh!
I never thought I'd say this after the last couple of summers, but I am sooooooooo bored of rain!
This year it's squash.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2007, 15:51:56 »
It was dry but very threatening here this morning so I managed to get some things done.  I did a slug/snail hunt it the mini greenhouse and disposed of five snails and two of those horrid tiny grey slugs.  Watered the plants in there - radish, spring onions and spares of cues and basil - and checked on all the spring bulbs which are drying off in there.  Then I harvested the garlic because I needed the pots: it's okay, but I've had bigger yields.  Used the pots to plant out the beetroot and managed to get quite a few of the ornamental grasses grown from seed planted out too.  Then the heavens opened.    ::)  How dare it rain on my week off?     >:(

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal