Author Topic: The British are keen gardeners but tend to undervalue their botanical skills.  (Read 1364 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
If she honestly believes this then she is a fool, who needs to conjugate a Latin verb, with the exception of Inspector Morse? Or bisect a blimmin triangle!

"Knowledge, for me, is learning how to conjugate a Latin verb, or bisect the angle of a triangle using a pair of compasses, or commit to memory the dates of the 17th Century Anglo-Dutch wars. I associate such "knowledge" with formal education, school, university, and the things my father inculcated into me from as early as I can remember."

Good article though Cam, and it is true that gardeners play down their knowledge as it learned over time and experience based as opposed to education/academia. I don't know that it is particular to us Brits though, we do our selves down over everything we are good at and pretend we're fantastic at the things we are plainly rubbish at ( England v Brazil - hope - none, but we're still going to win the World Cup etc)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal