Author Topic: weeds, weeds, weeds bl++dy weather!  (Read 6267 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
weeds, weeds, weeds bl++dy weather!
« on: June 04, 2007, 00:15:25 »
Hi

Following all the rain and then the hot weather i have gone to my plot to find that plants like my sweetcorn, peas, beans and swede have frazzeled. Whilst the weeds have gone made.

I have had to literaly dig my way to some of my raised beds and my rhubarb bed is submerged under a field of long grasses with seed heads. Weeds that were ankle high a week ago have just shot up  :'(

I spent 2-3 hours today just clearing a foot or two around two of my raised beds to plant in them  :'(

I knew the weeds were catching up on me but honestly its criminal that they can just sprint ahead like this.

As there growing on weed membrane i am able to pull the plants out but i dont think i will get to all of the grass before they drop there seed in fact some of the grass as i pulled it dropped the seed as i touched them. Any tips on how I might speed this process up?

Tomorrow i am going to try and lift up the weed membrane and hope that none has grown though it which might help me clear a larger area. I have also stopped filling the wheelbarrow and am just making piles as i go which is saving me some time, i can then move the piles to the compost heap tomorrow.

I am going to make my paths smaller and put more beds in which will help with the weeding as a long term solution.

Just feeling a little lost here guys - HELP

Cambourne7

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: weeds, weeds, weeds bl++dy weather!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:56:57 »
That's what happens when you go off enjoying yourself, Louise- the combination of weeds everywhere, white rot and the comparison with the beautiful plots in Barnsdale and Derby made me feel pretty down yesterday evening, too! Sorry I can't offer a solution!

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:00:18 »
Sorry I can't be much help either, the same thing is happening at our plot too.

The blooming things are growing through the membrane and the woodchips!
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:10:29 »
How about hiring a strimmer?
If you could share it with someone else for a half day, then it would be much cheaper. At least the seed heads would be prevented from developing, and you can cut it as long/short as you want. ???

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:19:10 »
A sharp hoe works wonders, but it is very demoralising when the pesky weeds grow through layers of membrane and wood ships - I'm of course referring to the evil Horsetail.

On the upside Louise, if you have mostly annual weeds, think of it as green manure ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:29:19 »
Hi

Thanks for making me feel like i am not alone guys.

I am going back to the lotty today and dig some more raised beds out.

I believe that my neighbour has something which i might borrow and hack the back down with.

Thankfully its quite overcast so i might get more done.

Cambourne7

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 10:43:57 »
Hello

I am raging war on bindweed  :( :( :(  it's hell bent on strangling everything in garden i had to throw away about 4 plants in my border as it had strangled them to also most death  :'(, It's a daily battle i have tried weedkiller but it comes back.  >:(

Cambourne7 i hope everything is o.k i found out because i suffer from bindweed & brambles that the cheaper membrane is rubbish  i ended up buying landscape matting and where that is in my garden i don't have any problems.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Tiercel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 11:17:56 »
Hello

I am raging war on bindweed  :( :( :(  it's hell bent on strangling everything in garden i had to throw away about 4 plants in my border as it had strangled them to also most death  :'(, It's a daily battle i have tried weedkiller but it comes back.  >:(

Cheers
Brogusblue

I have had the same problem in the past but seen a good tip on a gardening program.
You don a pair of Marigold gloves then put a cotton glove on over them. Make up a systemic weedkiller, Tumbleweed etc; then dip the cotton glove in the weedkiller and rub it into the leaves. Apparently as the leaves of the Bindweed are so shiney they do not take in enough weedkiller for it to reach the roots. By rubbing the leave with the gloved hand it allows the weedkiller to do its job.
Worked for me.
If it works, don't knock it!

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 12:42:22 »
Good tip there Tiercel.

I know what you mean cambourne7 its sometimes gets me down as you work hard to get it looking good next minute your back to square one.  Chin up and don't let it beat you!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 14:57:33 »
My way!!;

Not weed free but by the sound of the problems you guys are having it more or less is.

Firstly I get all my digging in before Xmas!!

The beds are left rough and uncovered over winter!!

In Spring when the ground starts warming up and a fresh load of weeds start to appear I blast them with glyphosate.

This kills them off quite easily because they are quite tender.

Come planting out time I rake off the dead weed and dig out any pernicious perennial weed e.g Dandelion,Dock & Fat hen.

As the years progress I find the weeds problem although not gone is quite easy to handle with a hoe.

I haven't done any weeding this year yet, thats my job for next week.

Look here at my plot on the first of June http://tinyurl.com/yuch7v and as you can see there are some weeds (mainly on unplanted areas) but nothing to worry about.

Incidently, I didn't blast my plot with glyphosate this year as I didn't think it needed it

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 16:44:55 »
yes we have the same problem, been away four days came back to the weeds, the strawberry plants i can just about see, the raspberrys, well what can i say got to tackle the weeds and nettles as they have grown almost as high as the raspberrys, and the grass just as high,
hopefully get some done tuesday had to catch up on housework and washing but hey another day tomorrow

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 20:28:25 »
But 2 wheelbarrows of weeds into my compost bin today and have probably pulled enough for another 2 Loads.

Got  fright when i pulled the carpet back and found a field mouse n the top of my bin.

I also got 2 rows of leeks and 4 rows of onions in :-)

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 21:07:04 »
no cure for hard work! dug over our plot  years  ago pulling out all the docs, ground ivy and stroil. Because the plot is so windy i surrounded it with wooden pallets from a local builder who was glad to be rid of them, this not only keeps the wind damage down but also prevents some weed seeds from being deposited on the plot. As winter approaches and crops have been harvested i spread cow/horse manure or seaweed over the soil and cover with black polythene (also from friendly builder) as Spring approaches i lift the polythene bit by bit and turn over the soil, the manure has rotted down well under the black polythene. Now the only weeds we have are easily hoed during hot spells.
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 21:17:21 »
yes i know hard work is important its just getting to me that its all sprung up so quickly!!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 10:48:51 »
I have decided to find a petrol strimmer to cut the grass and stuff while i wait to hear i will try to scyte it myself.

I have contacted my local parish council to see if they can come and do it for me, if they say no i have someone else i can ask who also has a industrial one  ;D

It would be a 5 min job for them.

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 17:56:41 »
yes were are a friendly bunch on our allotment and quite often share loads of manure loan rotovators/strimmers/seed swap! :) I have family in both New Zealand and USA so get seeds from both countries to try. Any one like to experiment???
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 19:40:37 »
My plot was invaded by giant nettles and thistles, in the week that i wasn't there, i swear they grew at least 24", ( It must be something in the soil ) At least there are loads of others in the same boat!! Good luck though  ;)
Thas a rummun !!

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 22:50:36 »
I agree it is very demoralising. I've spent ages weeding my whole plot by hand on my hands and knees pulling up every weedling I could see. A week later, it looks like I hadn't done anything. My wildflower bed was totally taken over. I've been puliing out those weeds I recognise but am having to guess on some. I thinks the weeds are the worst part of allotmenteering although the annuals can be a welcome source of compost material.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 22:58:44 »
I always take the optomist view... if it wouldn't grow weeds it wouldn't grow anything... I allow certain weeds to dominate, by selective weeding out of others, now if I have to leave a bit I end up with a block of Nigella, Poppies or Borage!
 8)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 12:36:53 »
I like weeds, I hoe them off and just leave them on top of the soil to rot down and feed my plants!  ;D

I've even been hoeing in the dark (ooh, that sounds dodgy!), I remember reading somewhere that if you hoe/uproot something in the evening, the lack of light overnight means it can't re-establish itself even on moist ground....seems to work!!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal