Author Topic: weeds, weeds, weeds bl++dy weather!  (Read 6268 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: weeds, weeds, weeds bl++dy weather!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 12:41:55 »
Deb P - Yes currently i pull the weeds and leave them in the sun for the next day they they go in the compost bin, i hope that the sun will damage the root. They Certainly lose mass and colour. I have just emptyed my 1 ton sand bag and i am going to steak that up for a mobile compost heap.

gruesome - I am always up for a challange :-)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 12:46:12 »
I have just emptyed my 1 ton sand bag and i am going to steak that up for a mobile compost heap.

Having almost given myself a hernia moving one of those bags half filled with free woodchips, I fear it may not be very 'mobile' when you have filled it!! ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 13:08:28 »
I am going to steak it in a semi perminat place so i will not have to move it for a couple of weeks after its full.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 21:19:14 »
Hi Guys.

A quick update.

As there is so much fresh stuff on my plot i opened the compost heap and added a large bag of starbucks used coffee and strips of newspaper and watered it.

Still trying to get a strimmer, so my neighbout attacked the bottom of my plot for me with his sythe so that the seed heads were down.

Went up today and after 2 hours i have topped my compost bin again with 2 big wheelbarrow loads and moved 4 wheelbarrows of wood chips over to the plot.

Sitting there drinking my ice cold drink i noticed that my asparagus seed had finally broken through  ;D

Chatting to one of my fellow allotment holders he had just finished and he offered to help me pull up some more weeds - well hes pulled enough for 4 more wheelbarrow loads in 10 min flat and i can now get to my rhubarb bed and my fruit bush nursery bed which has to my shock has got on with things without me. I have a good but small crop of rasberrys, gooseberrys comming up and loads of red currants :-)

Have crawled home after over 4 and a half hours on site feel like i have really acheived something but still a long way to go!!

I still need the strimmer as some of the weeds are growing though the fencing, and i also need to source wood for more raised beds as most wood mills here have none!!

I am hopeing to get to the plot for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon to move more weeds to the compost heap. Might even have to start using the other site :-)

Cambourne7

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 11:54:47 »
I was away for a week could'nt believe it when i got back i swear the grass had grown from ankle to waist height. It does get you down. I'm hoping to attack with strimmer this weekend. I really am tempted to try what TG does with the Glyphosphate its just i've always tried to gow naturally. Decisions decisions.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 11:57:08 »
I would hack it back then put the chemical on it as it will take longer if the grass is long.

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 00:24:29 »
I feel for you, My plot has been over grown for years before I got it an d after 2 years I have  just about cleared 1/2 of it . Mairs tail, couch grass and lots of other things I cant name. The ground was a mesh of roots  the thickness of your finger. I used Glysulphate  to beathem back before forking the ground over. Left the roots out to dry them out and then burnt them, though didnt work too well this year. and the last few weeks looks like I hadent done a scratch weeds every where just had to pull them by hand from betwen the plants. If you are using weed killer put a slug of washing up liquid in after you fill the watering can or sprayer and shake it , this will make the weed killer stick to the plant. Log on to your free cycle web site and ask for a strimmer you will be amazed the amount of stuff  people will  give you on Free cycle. I have seen  strimmers, garden shreaders, lawn mowers, sheads, greenhouses and more going. Have a look
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 10:23:54 »
Ah the 4 barrows full of weeds, that seems so familiar.
I was told by the old 'uns on my site that 3 years is the minimum before you get on top of the weed problem.
But I feel now that some are starting to finish their cycle, many are dying of their own accord, like the dandelion etc. So they are easy to pull up. I have a lot of grass! but I find it's not as bad as it was at one stage. you can now see the ground over a lot of my plot  ;D

Next year I will do what worked this year but more of it and earlier.
For a start I am green manuring a fait bit so that might help,
Next cover quickly in the spring any bits I am not going to use straight away (like the summer veg bit).
Then hoe and hoe and hoe in April-May when they start coming up. And mulch and remulch wherever I can. Noticed that my spud patch mulch had nicely rotted down and I turned it into the soil.
Next year I also want to plant my tomatoes, peppers etc on black plastic. That seems so much easier.
I use no chemicals I am afraid so it's elbow grease. But it does get better, to  my great relief!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 11:36:34 »
Hi Cambourne,
Seems like you're in much the same state as me. I was almost on top of everything then I went on holiday. It wasn't looking too bad when I get back but then my Mum died and I've spent the last few weeks just moping about feeling disillusioned about everything. It's taken all my energy trying to keep the kids happy.
Anyway they're back to school tomorrow so back to the weeds which have gone from ankle high to waist high over night. I've already beaten them back about 5 times this year. It's depressing seeing lots of seeds float my way (usually) in big clumps. I didn't stand a chance really with the allotments all around with weeds nearly 6' high for most of the growing season. Unfortunately they were cut back finally by the parish council but only after they seeded.

Where did you get your wood chips? and did they cost much?

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 19:34:54 »
I'm having same problem on my site at the mo.  As fast I'm clearing the beggars they're partying somewhere else!  Bit of advice needed though, as I'm strimming all the grass, weeds etc I'm simply piling them in a heap, but as I was a bit worried about all the seeds infesting everyone elses plot I've covered them over with a bit of carpet for now before I burn them.  Is that the right thing to do (thought it courteous) or am I simply incubating the lot and causing myself another headache!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 23:38:02 »
There has been a big drive here by the council to get vacant allotmenters to cultivate or give up their allotment, this was mainly driven by people who wanted plots and spent every year being told they were not available as they were payed for , People Power. People were able to come into the plot and list the number of the plot that was unused. Council have now set up a committee with allotment holders, are supplying spare council manure  and running a best plot  competition. I was finally offered the other half of my plot which has been paid for but not worked for years. I have watched as the seeds blow in the air from the unworked plots  but recently  have been cheered up by seeing the new plot holders starting to clear their plots and laying plastic over  the weeds.
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 09:03:40 »
Yes vacant plots do seem to be a problem in the UK. I know I have said before that here they are run by associations so if you don't show up you are soon kicked out. BUT I have now been in our site for 8 months and I have realized that some people are more dedicated growers than others! Our plots are 100 m2 each. One fellow covered 75 of his plot with spuds (dunno if he actually got any, no one got much this year apparently) and now they are dug, and that is empty. He has a row of toms and the back half of his plot is just weeds. There are others where there are mainly dahlias, a few courgettes and overgrown lettuces.
As there is a BIG drink problem on these sites, I think these blokes obviously just come to bevvy up with their mates and just do a bit to make it look like they are gardening on their plot. (one fellow came to say hi on Saturday, I thought I would pass out from the booze fumes!!!)
It makes me quite mad because I was harrassed by these people because I wasn't a "good enough gardener" And now I realize that they are lucky to not hack off their feet in a drunken stupor!!! Well anyway since I have now completely planted my plot they have left me alone.
err weren't we talking about weeds...?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 10:50:56 »
I have just come back from a 2 week holiday, and due to go down to my plot tomorrow, I'm really scared.  I have a horrible feeling that the weeds will be at least 2ft high, and all my good work from recent times will be undone.  Oh well, it's cheaper than the gym! 
I may do the same thing as others this time, and put mine in their own compost heap, I get enough after all to rot down over a year or so.
Sympathy to all, I may need it myself tomorrow! 

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 11:48:21 »
Came back from summer hols to find the plot, which was cleared before I went away, completely covered again. The beds were not too bad but the paths were a night mare. Where I had hoed, the things had re rooted themselves. Spent the last four weeks hand weeding to get as much as poss out and have now grassed the paths. I have obtained an old heavy lawn mower, so hopefully the combination of grass and regular mowing will keep the things at bay.
I'd rather be flying

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 17:35:06 »
napalm would work, as long as your 100 yards from the road, and the bomber has a clear run
lol
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 17:58:27 »
Too close to the road and some large trees in the way. Would also take out my raspberries, off which today I picked a 2 litre ice cream container full of yummy raspberries.

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2007, 01:01:38 »
I think I will wait to the spring and attack with Glysolphate. I have reclaimed a new part at the top of the plot and am going to put  manure on it this week and then plant some winter greens. Except for the garlic bed which I will cover I think I will Waite for the spring and hit them
Hello world
Aiden

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal