Author Topic: I could cry!  (Read 3597 times)

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
I could cry!
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:21:09 »
Well, checked on my outdoor cucumbers yesterday and they were badly wilted ??? they were planted in grow bags have been watered (Not over watered) some whitish spots noted on one of them? I also checked my butternut squash planted a few days ago...same wilted and dying!

Went up the lotty and found my runner beans not looking well! white blotches/spots and areas that look like sun scorch but obviously can't be! so ripped them all up and planted fresh seed direct :-\

My squash and courgette plants wilted and dying exactly like cucumbers at home! no loss of colour and with the odd white/creamy spot on but nothing obvious!

Went and checked my cabbage other end of plot that has disease too ??? hispi and greyhound largish white spots and leaves have gone a greeny yellow marbled appearence! not nutrient difficiency as manured in autumn and fed with FBB last week!

I have tried in vain to find out what this is? but it does not fit any description given in the books or the internet!
Its my first year and i feel a total failure, everything was going well all looked healthy until i planted last week! (my neighbours are not suffering any of this just me) :'(

I have loamy soil, it was dorment for at least 2 years before the previous owner handed it back after 35 years! and everyone on the site when i took it over said it was a fab plot!

I know its not too late to re sow my squash etc but what will i do if it happens again! really worried now!

The white spots /patches do not look the same as they do on my cabbage but i suppose the type of leaf is very different so may look different?? don't know just guessing!

Any one else suffered like this? I expected some failures but not like this :'(

If all fails then try again...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: I could cry!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:37:15 »
Crying, too - but can't help!

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:10:50 »
Oh poor you....!!! <virtual hug>

not sure what is wrong with the cabbages but we have the same thing on some of ours too...

We also had some disasters this week with the change in weather, if it is any consolation.

Our bean poles actually blew over in all the wind, ripping up about 1/2 of our beans and damaging most of the rest. The courgettes we had planted out are looking very sorry too, think a combination of the wind and the rain has seen them off as well....

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 12:13:55 »
Is it powdery mildew? http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/powdery/powdery.htm
no sorry dont think it is if your cabbage has it too but check the link anyway

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 12:31:28 »
Don't get disheartened thinking it's all down to you,  it may be down to the weather - maybe cucumbers and squash were out a bit early when the cold, winds and rain hit?  If so, sowing now should mean that by the time you plant out the temperature etc will be better for them. 
My toms tore away at the beginning with all the hot, sunny weather so I've had to harden off and plant some out as they were pushing me out of home, and cold frames!  They are now suffering in this weather - all manner of blotches etc on their leaves, but they are still beginning to flower, so I'm hopeful!

janny

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 12:37:39 »
Our tomatoes and beans have got that sun-scorched/underfed look too. Is it due to the cold weather and high winds this week? Am a bit worried and hoping they will all get over it...

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 18:53:36 »
I reckon this could just be the weather - after all I have a cold, a bad chest and feel like **** at the moment.  .....and I get tucked up in my nice warm bed at night!

Brrrrrr

LOUISE
Grow yer bugger grow!

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 19:58:57 »
Thankyou all for your kind comments! you may be right about the weather showed some fellow allotmenteers my runners and squash and they reckon the spots are nothing to worry about! and that its probably just the weather.. as for the cabbage told me to leave it alone and wait!

Ooh the joys of gardening eh... panic over for now... till next week ;D

Jenfur

• Quarter Acre
  • Eaton Bray, Beds
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 21:00:34 »
When we first planted our runners out they went all yellow and dried out, we were distraught! But they had growing bits in the middle, and now they have really taken off. Hope yours do the same xxx

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 21:24:34 »
I wouldn't worry too much , as others have said it sounds like its down to the weather and most of your plants should get over it in time.

Do you have any pictures it may make it easier to identify whats wrong.

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 21:51:03 »
Hi Mick
No i don't as i pulled up everything and disposed of it! probably a bit presumpsious ::) but its done now! i've sown some more so will hopefully be ok this time! they really did look like they were harbouring something though ???
I suppose i will never know >:(

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 12:54:30 »
Poor you! I have had some disasters this year. On our first (half plot). I thought the autumn rapberry canes were all dead, but some have started sprouting now! Some of the brassicas were not quite covered by the netting and the birds got them. One entire lot of french beans did not germinate. First lot of courgettes and squash got completely eaten by slugs. In the garden at home all my tomato plants were shredded in matter of hours by wind. They are starting to recover now, but they are very fragile and I am not sure they will make it. Don't get disheartened, just concentrate on the successes!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 20:01:33 »
Went and checked my cabbage other end of plot that has disease too Huh hispi and greyhound largish white spots and leaves have gone a greeny yellow marbled appearence! not nutrient difficiency as manured in autumn and fed with FBB last week!
Check on the other side of the leaves - you may have cabbage mealy aphid as this is the effect they have on the leaves.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 20:11:30 »
So could I all my busy lizzies seedlings have died in the greenhouse as it was too hot.  :(

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 14:38:23 »
Oh dear and I was starting to think that things weren't so bad after all! I think that perhaps you were a bit hasty, I am not sure I would have pulled everything up like that??? We had so much rain and damp here that everything was looking completely forlorn, I was sure everything was just going to dier, but lo and behold yesterday after an improvement in the weather, things are perking up again. they are just like us really!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 15:57:51 »
Veggie, the weather's been really up and down this year - boiling hot in April then cold and windy in May. It's good that you've re-planted your warm weathers (toms, courgettes, cucumbers, runner beans) with some nice compost - I'm sure things will turn up for you! These guys are all pretty heat-sensitive and cold just zaps them.
As for the cabbages, well, we have become used to gnawed, scraggly cabbages that taste great. They are not pretty but they do the job.
I'm sure one of the things gardening teaches us is to perservere in the face of adversity. And slugs, and vandals, and weeds and... good luck!
This year it's squash.

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 16:35:58 »
Thanks for all your advice! to add insult to injury i've just found out that i have white rot and onion fly! so the whole bed of onions,shallots etc will have to come up and be disposed of!  :'( but i will take the words of wisdom from you all and concentrate on my successes.... i dug up my first lot of red duke of york ;D and i thought all my christmas's had come at once :D it felt sooo good after all my set backs. so shall have those for tea! yum yum.

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 16:09:13 »
we planted lots of sweetcorn before we went away on holiday, spent only 3 nights away, but i can't find the sweetcorn anywhere something has eaten them and they were high enough to go into the ground, never tried to grow it before this is the second lot as well as 1st lot didn't grow at all. very dishearting i think

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 19:37:11 »
I could cry too...my carrot seeds have cleared off to australia and no sign of them coming back up this end and my dwarf french beans have been flattened by the wind becaus eI have got the windiest plot on site and I have obviously put them in the wrong place....aaaargh
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 19:39:12 »
has anyone been spraying nearby?
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal