Produce > Recipes

Freezing

<< < (2/2)

tim:
Yes - some things don't last too long. But we all do it? Bad labelling, bad listing, bad routine. But long term storage is not the purpose of a freezer?

Strawberries - a mush, or ice-cream? One thing we always do, is save some Sevilles in case we run out of marmalade - or need Nigella's seville ice-cream in the summer.

Plenty of 6+cu ft uprights about, Siemens etc, but not too sure what an upright 'chest' is. They all have drawers? If you can afford it, 'frost free' - such a joy.

We're looking around in case our 18 cu ft upright does a wobbly. The anti-ice element around the door has ceased to function. We must have shelves in the door as well, for easy access. In ages of trying, I've only found one - Harrods, of course - American, of course - stainless steel, of course - price? They have to be joking? £5000!! I think, maybe our current one will see us out? No EU (of course) freezer, I learn, may have shelves in the door. What next? If anyone can prove me wrong, PLEASE do. = TIM

Tenuse:
Oh dear Tim, I think £5000 is far too much for a freezer!!

Yes I suppose an upright "chest" freezer will need shelves won't it, otherwise everything would tumble out when you opened the door!!

The strawberries are just as they are, if they are defrosted they become mush, but if nibbled frozen they are just like an ice lolly, albeit one with seeds.

Mmm! Roll on summer!

Ten x

tim:
Price? Yes - but fortunately you don't want that size, or f/f perhaps, or  door storage. We have 4 cu ft in the door alone. I shall miss it. I thought the EU had messed us about enough in the pesticide/fungicide area.

Straws - a lovely idea - I was just thinking of other ways. = Tim

budgiebreeder:
I freeze my Stawberries on a tray then bag them up when frozen. They can be used in jellies  with the juice being used to make the jelly.

tim:
Nice one - and open freezing should be used for so many things. Even my new potatoes! = Tim

PS : Alpines, of course, freeze or dry better than most?
When should one cut/have cut the foliage down??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version