Author Topic: hows your toms  (Read 3833 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
hows your toms
« on: May 02, 2007, 08:18:09 »
How are your outdoor tom's doing, are they outside yet? inside itching to get out? or still hardening off, or even still in the packet?

Tom seedlings

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: hows your toms
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 08:34:15 »
My outdoor tomatoes are still in the cold greenhouse, they were only pricked out last week, so I don’t expect to plant out until mid to late May

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 08:50:56 »
I'm at the same stage; I'll start thinking about putting them out in a couple of weeks, probably under cloches at first.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:31:12 »
Not put the outside yet but the ones in the greenhouse are great.

Had to tie one up already.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

David R

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 09:32:46 »
in 4" pots but about a foot high and flowers just beginning to show, and have had to pinch out already. Will plant out this weekend.

blisters

• Quarter Acre
  • Dorset
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 09:40:19 »
I only sowed mine a couple of weeks ago, so they are just developing their first true leaves.  Kept in a cold greenhouse.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 16:27:07 »
planted mine into the cold greenhouse on sunday but won't plant outside for a few weeks yet - I sure we could yet get a late frost
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 16:45:21 »
Some in the coldframe with the lid open overnight  for the last two days

GrowingChillis

• Half Acre
    • GrowChilli.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 17:26:33 »
Yesterday I re-potted 2 of my toms from 5inch to about 10inch pots. They had been growing on the windowsill, and taking up too much room. So I moved them straight out to the garden. I buried the pots a little in the soil to keep them low to ground out of the way of the wind.

I checked them this afternoon, and they seem to be doing just fine. I guess only time will tell, and if we get a frost them it might be a different story.

After seeing how well the first 2 were doing, and how little light is now coming into the room due to the windowsills being packed. I have moved another 2 outside, but this time dug them straight into the ground.

I will check them tomorrow and update on how they are.
My Chilli Website - GrowChilli

UK Plants & Seeds
- ebay shop - 15% discount for A4A member

feedback welcome

Black Forest Dan

• Quarter Acre
  • who put snow on my breakfast?
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 17:38:27 »
My plants have been spending their days outside for the last two weeks; first few days only during the sunniest part of the day, I bring them under cover (terrace, but outdoors) only on cold nights (when the forecast is under 10°C, just to be safe) otherwise they stay out all night - they're pretty strong and around 30cm tall - we've had almost no rain and almost no wind for weeks and temperatures up to 25°C.

I check the weather forecast every night. I'll probably give them another fortnight before potting them up into their final growing pots.

Dan.

Cat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 17:42:29 »
Mine are on the windowsill and are about 4" tall.

Going to have to repot them and hopefully get them out in the next two weeks....would be gutted if any frost got to them!

Cat
Sometimes we just need a helping hand!

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 19:58:49 »
Thats now another one tied up (Tigrella).

Had to move the Garden Perle outside as its getting too big. I think fruit shall show soon.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 20:11:37 »
Well I am the one to preach patience but I have put a few out. We have been here 13 years now and only one frost since then in May

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 20:17:26 »
The early outdoor types have been outside, in their 4" pots day and night since Sunday.  I sowed too early and now need to slow them down. 

They seem quite happy and it has stopped them from growing so rapidly. They will not be planted out on the allotment until the end of May and  will be brought indoors again if the temp at night threatens to fall...

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 21:08:49 »
Some outside - including overnight - in the 'coldhouse', and some still indoors either waiting for me to get my act together, or tagged as my fall back plants if anything goes horribly wrong with the outdoors plants.  Have to say that the ones roughing it outside look much healthier  ;D

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 22:21:47 »
2" tall, on the windowsill. Just getting their first true leaves in, will be potting them up onto 3" pots at the weekend then I'll try them out in the mini greenhouse.

Off topic, but ... don't they smell luvly?  ;D
You been goofin' with the bees?

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 22:34:40 »
Some of mine are desperate to go out, but it is really windy here and even with protection they may get battered. Hoping the weekend will bring less blustery weather.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 05:43:04 »
mine vary from 4" to nearly a foot, they have been spending the days outside for about 3 weeks now and in the house again at night and the 5 biggest are now in their black buckets in a plastic growhouse at night and outside during the day, still going strong.

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 07:23:09 »
Mine are still very poorly from get a shock back in March -
I've never know anything grow so slowly!!

I don't think I can provide the right conditions for tomato seedlings at home - I'll have to plant later next year and see if that helps.

At least they haven't all passed on like they did last year...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 07:25:16 »
It sounds as though you may not be keeping them warm enough. Put them on a windowsill next year till we get some mild springlike weather, then keep them under cover till June.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal