Author Topic: hows your toms  (Read 3832 times)

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Re: hows your toms
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 08:34:07 »
Loads of people growing toms then?

Lets get some pictures on!!!   ;)

Taken 29th April

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 09:37:22 »
wow peeps thought we were the only ones close to putting ours out, everyone on our site hasnt even sown radish yet!!!

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 10:02:05 »
My Marmande are flowering. I'll plant them out on the plot next week. The others (Gardener's Delight, Ailsa Craig and Tigerella) are much smaller, but have been out in my front cover day and night for the last two weeks, so I think I'll plant them out as well.

But never mind the toms, it's the aubs I can't keep up with! Some of these have flower buds:

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 10:51:04 »
WOW! When did you sow these? They are huge. I am embarrassed, my tomatoes and aubergines are still tiny.

:P

veg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 12:12:33 »
My aubergines are minute. How have you managed to get yours to grow so much this early?

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 12:20:12 »
I sowed my aubergines (Diamond from The Real Seed Catalogue) 19th Feb. They germinated in a week (much quicker than the instructions on the packet indicated , and at at much lower temperature!). I kept the plants on a windowsill until 3 weeks ago, when they moved to the porch at night and front garden during the day. I don't have a greenhouse, so these will be planted in mini-tunnels on the plot in about 3 weeks time.
I've been amazed at the rate of growth. Peppers, which were sown just 2 weeks after the aubergines, are much smaller (you can see some at the bottom of the picture).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 12:28:42 »
I planted mine a month later than you (evidently a mistake), but mine also came up quickly. I tried Diamond last year, messed up, and tried a long green one, also from Real Seeds (I forget the exact variety - I'm at work). They came up fast, but ended up on a windowsill that wasn't very warm; I'm having problems with the computer overheating, and had to keep the window open. They're now in a mini-greenhouse that warms up well in the sun, and growing slowly.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 13:00:06 »
robert - off subject i know - if its a laptop try vacuuming the ventilation and fan inlet vents underneath, probably full of fluff.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 20:00:47 »
It's not a laptop, thanks, and the interior is fairly clean. I've just been out and got a new PSU - the fan on the old one is definitely not working, and it's getting flaky in other respects. Right now it's running on the other fans I have installed. I just need a new (and better ventilated) case, and I'll have a lovely couple of hours at the weekend rebuilding it in its new home.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 09:51:08 »
Just wondering how the toms are now?
Has anyone planted any outside yet?
I usually wait until the end of May but am very tempted to put some on the plot...

What about those beautiful aubergine plants dandelion?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2007, 09:54:55 »
I'm back, after a lovely day with computer bits strewn all over the bed. The machine's now running in the mid to high 40's rather than the low 60's, and appears fit to face another summer.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2007, 18:34:01 »
Just wondering how the toms are now?
Has anyone planted any outside yet?
I usually wait until the end of May but am very tempted to put some on the plot...

What about those beautiful aubergine plants dandelion?

Just moved a Marmande outside in a pot. Looks good very healthy growth

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2007, 18:57:48 »
They are some good looking aubies.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2007, 15:32:29 »
Well, this morning I've planted out all my toms on the lottie.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 17:31:18 »
I'm growing Tiny Tim and Micro Tomato.  Both were sown in the second half of February and are still indoors.  It's very windy here today so I won't be putting them out just yet.  But as you can see from the first picture, they are going to have to go out soon!   ;)  G x

Tomatoes, Chillies and Cape Gooseberries

Micro Tomato
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2007, 17:35:14 »
are the micro toms smaller than a cherry tom, georgie..the smallest ones we've got is garten perle  :)
your plants look ace, our outdoor ones aren't half that tall

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2007, 17:41:40 »
ours are bursting to get out now, and may well go tomm orow

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 20:03:50 »
Those look amazing!!!

Well done

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 20:28:40 »
Hi Manics.  I've never grown Micro before but the plants only grow to about 8" tall. I reckon the fruits will be about the same size as garten perle when they ripen.  I have never known Tiny Tim (the other tomato) to get so tall and flower so early before.   :o

Thanks Chris. I reckon it's the weather we've had this year.  I wonder if it will affect the flavour?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 19:38:28 »
Here's an update on the Micro Tomatoes.  First fruits are about ready for picking now.   ;D  G x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal