Author Topic: Wood ash in the compost heap ?  (Read 816 times)

moudie

• Not So New ...
Wood ash in the compost heap ?
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:37:05 »
Can I put a modest quantity of wood ash in my compost heap .

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Wood ash in the compost heap ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:10:10 »
Hi
I wouldn't necessarily put it in the compost heap I would put it straight on to the soil as I remember someone telling me a while ago that ash is good but only for a short burst of goodness!  If you catch my drift!  In theory as it is burnt it doesn't need composting as it is in a useable form already. 

I use it just round plants etc and they all seem to thrive. In fact I have put my bean trench over an old bonfire site and I have, after digging and manuring, put loads of ash on the top and planted beans through this.  No problem with slugs at all! So presumably if you put it round stuff that could have slug damage the slugs and snails don't like walking on it!  Good luck!

Old Bird

::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 12:28:29 »
Don't compost it; the nutrients in it are very soluble and you don't want to waste them. Just sprinkle it on direct.

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 18:56:18 »
Just wanted to thank you for asking this, we only use wood on our open fire and these chilly evenings mean we have a bin full of wood ash! I'll get it to my shed pronto now!

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 18:59:54 »
does the same apply to charcoal or briquettes from the BBQ? (not usre if they add anything to it you see)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal