Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 7375 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: Carrots
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 12:04:12 »
I am growing a heritage white carrot this year - but it's my first attempt at carrots, so I'm a bit worried because I'm usually a failure with something for the first time...

That made me go aaah! Bet you don't fail, bet you grow beautiful carrits free from fly!  8)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 13:06:18 »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I will certainly try my best...

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 13:54:26 »
lol I think I'm living in a beginners dream world then... I planted two rows of Early Nates 2 yesterday in well dug but quite clayey soil. Made a couple of inch deep drills, sowed seeds thinly in them and then sprinkled some of the ocntents of a spare grow bag over them to cover....

I assumed they'll grow ok, I didn't know there was such a scinece to carrots.... lol ah well we'll see... :)

Although I do plan on surrounding them with something to try and disuade the carrot fly when they've come through... :)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 15:05:31 »
I interplanted carrots with onions about six and four weeks ago the first ones are coming along nicely, I dug out a very small trench, filled with potting compost, made a drill, sprinkled seeds and covered with compost.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 17:59:04 »
Thanks Marymary, guess I could just try a couple, see how they go.

Cacran     You would be better off with 4" stand pipe or 45 gallon drums cut to size with a fine soil mix in them.  As a carrot needs room to grow out as well as down so if you grow them in drain pipe you will only get a very thin long carrot.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2007, 07:22:52 »
Thanks Davy, I have some planted in beds but just wanted to try one in the pipe for fun, really, I will have a go and see how long it gets!!!!! ;)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 16:40:42 »
At present - none of my carrots are showing after 12 days in barrel :( Does this mean they are no good or me being impatient ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 17:26:49 »
Lots of the allotmenteers on the Big Dig were using the "planting at height" method to avoid carrot fly, as in the bath mentioned above. I think the height needed was 13" but not sure.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 18:28:29 »
Other than trying to keep the Carrot fly of does hight really matter these must be at about 18"

DAVY

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 18:34:11 »
And these speak for them selves but to do them 7 barrels took me 5 hours thats a lot of gardening time fitst one

DAVY

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 18:40:03 »
and the next

DAVY

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2007, 18:43:02 »
And my final method

DAVY

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 06:42:56 »
Lots of the allotmenteers on the Big Dig were using the "planting at height" method to avoid carrot fly, as in the bath mentioned above. I think the height needed was 13" but not sure.
I thought it was 23"

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 07:23:16 »
I was always told that the carrot fly was not supposed to be able to get above 18" but no one has told the fly it cant do that and a barrier of 2 feet around your carrots
ti keep it out
A TIP  When thinning your carrots out don,t pull pull them cut the tops off with a pair of scissors.

DAVY

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 09:22:31 »
A TIP  When thinning your carrots out don,t pull pull them cut the tops off with a pair of scissors.
Also thin in the evening when the fly arn't active and water afterwards to dampen off the smell

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 17:19:28 »
Quote from: davyw1
Quote from: glow777
Also thin in the evening when the fly arn't active and water afterwards to dampen off the smell
Both great tips.  My carrots were a totals washout last year so I'll be having another go this weekend.  Got a good few hours of digging and raking before that though.
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 17:31:15 »
Looks like I have got excellent germination from my early nantes - complete rows! I just hope they make it to full-carrot stage!!! I am also going to plant some in large containers as a backup  :-\

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2007, 19:46:35 »
Noticed today that my plot neighbour has planted his carrots as per Corny Kev and John-at-the-back says he has had germination probs too so I'm thinking it's not only me that has no joy with the blessed things I have purchased even more seed and will sow yet again tomorrow. ;D (as per Corny)
Smile, it confuses people.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2007, 22:04:29 »
Looks like I have got excellent germination from my early nantes - complete rows! I just hope they make it to full-carrot stage!!! I am also going to plant some in large containers as a backup  :-\
How long did they take to germinate? I sowed some in 2 half barrels with 2Weeks ago. Zero germination at present.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2007, 07:28:02 »
my nantes in the greenhouse took about 3 weeks - hard to spot at first because the weeds come after 3 days after watering

annoyingly everytime I water my greenhouse border I get self seeded tomato seedlings appear

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal