Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 7370 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Carrots
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2007, 07:48:57 »
I had brilliant initial germination....and then slugs hoovered most off!
2nd and third sowings now in progress.....post nematodes!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2007, 08:01:42 »
Looks like I have got excellent germination from my early nantes - complete rows! I just hope they make it to full-carrot stage!!! I am also going to plant some in large containers as a backup  :-\
How long did they take to germinate? I sowed some in 2 half barrels with 2Weeks ago. Zero germination at present.

Germination period for a carrot is about 17 days thats presuming the temperature is right
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2007, 12:17:04 »
Mentioned this before on another thread some time back.

Our effective method is to grow carrots in a 4 feet by 4 feet area, squeezing 7 rows in. A week after sowing we construct a barrier around the perimeter of this area which is made up of corrugated plastic. If you want to see what it looks like there is a snap in the Picture Gallery on our web pages. This successfully keeps the carrot fly at bay.

Other advantages that we have noticed: germination is good in this microclimate; slugs do not want to be bothered scaling the barrier, at least not until the foliage is peeping over the top; and it has even kept our local badger at bay so far - while it could no doubt destroy the barrier it seems to prefer to seek out easier pickings on nearby plots.

The only disadvantage is that the foliage becomes somewhat drawn but this does no affect the quality of the carrots themselves.

Cat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2007, 17:53:16 »
My Early Nantes are in containers and are doing well so far.  Have thinned them to 2 inches apart (want small ones!).  Just covered with fleece, hopefully in time to stop the dreaded carrot fly.
Sometimes we just need a helping hand!

powerspade

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2007, 18:07:07 »
All 7 seven rows are through and doing well Nantes up nearly1"

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2007, 20:00:39 »
I have a few pots growing well, and i'll need to thing the three rows at the weekend that are in the plot.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2007, 20:05:58 »
Four rows of early nantes two doing nicely, two struggling a bit, watering every night.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2007, 00:51:29 »
I was on my plot today sorting out the weeds and my carrots are all about 2" high which seems pretty good and loads have come up too!

It has been warm here in Manchester though, so perhaps that's the reason, just hope we don't get too many cold snaps, cause everything is growing so well at the moment.

In fact my carrots will need thinning out in a week or so...
Lin

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2007, 07:58:26 »
How close can you grow the carrots after thinning out? I  have sown mine in two raised beds that are about the size of baths. I don't have much room. At present they have been sown in short rows. There are lots of seeding coming up. If I cannot transplant them and need to pull out most of the week seedlings there will not be many carrots left in. I don't even know how much one plant yields. In fact I don't know 'owt much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2007, 13:35:03 »
try leaving some about 2" apart, you will get 'finger' carrots from that, others leave different spacing so's you get smaller and bigger carrots, baby carrots are much dearer to buy so, it depends if you want them for eating or storage..our storage carrots are about 4 to 6 " apart..hope this helps  :)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2007, 07:45:42 »
Thanks Manic. will do as you advise and look forward to the outcome.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2007, 08:17:23 »
I sowed 2 rows of early nantes about 3 nearly 4 weeks ago and nothing had appeared so I re-sowed the 2 rows. I hadn't been watering the first sowing of carrots and so wonder if that had been the problem ( I watered when put in but not after) So now I have been up every other day to water the seeds. I must admit that the ground is as dry as can be, not had rain here for weeks. What do other people do? Sow then water how often?
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2007, 08:38:01 »
The sowed my carrots on the 10/4 and they only started showing last week and not doing very much really. Too dry I think even when i've watered from one to time.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2007, 23:59:22 »
Sowed yet again 10 days ago, nothing, zero, zilch,diddly squat. Been constant with watering and nice words. So I'm giving up on the plot and it's a bucket job for me from now on. >:(
(secretly hoping for a 'sign' tomorrow, though ;D)
Smile, it confuses people.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2007, 00:19:32 »
Mine have taken 4 weeks to show in the bucket & some are also starting to show between onion rows.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2007, 00:31:42 »
when thinning, is it possible to transplant to plug the gaps ?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2007, 16:06:01 »
we've just had our first baby carrots..planted a pinch into fibre pots, waited for them to germinate and planted them in the border, we only got 8 but they'll be lovely with the new spuds tonight  ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2007, 16:18:00 »
Put our early nantes in on 29th March, about 1-2 inches tall now.  Sometimes I've watered them.
The Tuscan Beaneater

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2007, 14:39:18 »
Its been a long time since i grew Carrots outside the Polly tunnel, but as i have so many  seed about to go out of date i thought better used than waisted.
I thought i would explain my method as it may save some one some work or give an alternative method that can be done on heavy soil.

I make wedge using two spade One is ok if the soil is heavy I then top up with my fine mix adding some fish blood and bone to about  4"  from the top then give the wedge a good soak  Put the seeds in and cover.
That leaves me with a few inches to fill in so as my Carrots grow i back fill the wedge till it is level with the soil. I do this to make it hard for the carrot fly to dig down to the carrot

Along the rows i will place old Tea bags dipped in Jays fluid to create a diversionary smell. These carrots wont be touched till the end of the year
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2007, 15:08:00 »
That is brilliant! Thanks for that very clear demonstration!
I can hardly get the bloody things to germinate so I am hardly worried about carrot fly yet, (actually no one seems to talk about this in France, maybe it is not very rampant here?) but that seems a wonderful and easy way to grow them without preparing loads and loads of soil, just the part where it is most needed!
I will try that this weekend and see if it is more successful than the rest - can put in some of my own compost of which a bit is now ready. Yay!
hey I bet this works for beets and parsnips too!! Might try it as an experiment.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal