Author Topic: When to sow Melons?  (Read 947 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
When to sow Melons?
« on: April 15, 2007, 20:21:02 »
When is the best time to sow melons or am I too late?  I was not going to bother as I do not have a greenhouse, but after a search I read someone (cannot remember who) grow them in a cold frame. Leading on to my next question.

How do melons grow? Are they bushes or vine like as in a squash? My coldframe is 3 feet wide 6 feet long but only a 1 foot high would I need to build an extention (extra floor 18 inches high)?

Gary

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: When to sow Melons?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 20:23:08 »
Gary they grow like a cucumber, under glass you would have to hand pollinate. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 20:26:51 »
gary, i grow my melons outside,and i sowed my seed on 10 march,theyre bout 2" high now,but u still got time to do yours.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 20:30:17 »
Gary, just remembered I can give you plants, but it has to be tomorrow as I am back to work on Tuesday and my schedule is wonky again,If you can get to the lottie I can give you about 6 assorted ones,  XX Jeannine PM or phone me. XX
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 21:32:26 »
Gary

My son persuaded me to 'rescue' a couple of sad looking melon plants last year at the GC - that was in early June.  No greenhouse or frame, just a couple of Poundshop polytunnels.  Kept well watered and got about 3 fruits off each - about the size of mini footballs. 

The problem was the slugs - they got there first - grrrr >:(

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 22:49:14 »
hand polination - whats the best way?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 07:13:14 »
We've grown melons in our cold frame for the last couple of years and have had good crops. Perhaps if we hand-pollinated, we'd do even better. (We do keep the sides open a bit for ventilation, so perhaps the bees can get in that way.)

Keep the slugs off by using Nemaslug a week or so before you plant out.

I normally sow late April. Is that too late? Should I be doing it today (or even last week!)?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 08:43:11 »
Hi Cambourne, ther is a pretty good article at Garden Advice UK that gives a concise and simple plan one how to pollinate,it is exactly what I do and there is other useful info on there too,Number 1 important thing is the watering and humidity. If you need anything else please get back to me XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal