Author Topic: strawberries  (Read 897 times)

chlodonnay

• Not So New ...
strawberries
« on: April 14, 2007, 19:50:29 »
I planted some strawberry seeds in my propagator about 6 weeks ago. They did eventually germinate but they just haven't grown at all over the last 3/4 weeks. They are still less than half an inch tall. They are not overcrowded, and they are too small to move to individual pots. why aren't they growing?? :-\

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
Re: strawberries
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 22:03:12 »
Where are they now? Have you moved them out of the propagator?

chlodonnay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 22:49:26 »
Yes I took them out a couple of weeks ago and have kept them on a sunny window sill. I have been putting them out in the sun when it's been really hot (but brought them in at night).

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 23:31:39 »
Normally, the most popular strawberry to grow from seed is the alpine type and these are small anyway, and slow to get going, maybe you have these?
If they aren't alpine I'd suspect they may take a couple of years to get to fruit bearing size.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 14:33:20 »
Although growing from seed is a most satisfying experience, for example asparagus, Strawberries are so easy to multiply from runners, that 3 bought plants will give a tasting or two this year and at least 30 plants for next year.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_asparagus.html

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 06:58:45 »
While strawberry seedlings sit there appearing to do nothing for 4-6 weeks after they germinate they are actually developing their root structure once they have developed a healthy root system the top growth will start.
Strawberries have a 3 year life cycle the first year they will grow into full size plants during the second & third years they will fruit then you replace them because the amount of fruit they produce drops very suddenly in their forth year.
You can use the runners to generate more plants for large berry varieties or in the case of alpines you need to divide the plants as the alpine strawberries don't produce runners. I usually pick all the slug damaged berries & extract the seeds from them to start new plants as well this gives me a few thousand new plants each year which I can sell on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal