Author Topic: Bamboo canes - eye protection  (Read 13126 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Bamboo canes - eye protection
« on: May 20, 2004, 18:51:19 »
What do you use to cover the tops of bamboo canes to protect the eyes?

I just set up canes for my outdoor toms and wondered what i could use on the tops. I then had a brain wave (of sorts). i had kept empty film cartridge cases (for some future unknown purpose), i realised these were just the thing. To keep them in place i used a small piece of blu-tack, placed on the cane tips first.

I must say afterwards i felt rather virtuous  ;D.  Very much in the spirit of the lottie!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Bamboo canes - eye protection
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 22:18:08 »
What a brilliant idea Richard....I used to use yogurt pots but they're a bit on the big side....only thing these days is that since going over to a digi cam (not that I know how to use it properly yet).....don't use so many films so wont get so many empty containers!!....many years ago, my s.i.l's Dad nearly lost an eye to an injury from a cane supporting his dahlias.....it was awful!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 09:24:39 »
I use those probiotic drink containers, like actimel. (wish they came in green though! ;D)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 13:11:58 »
What a brilliant idea Richard....I used to use yogurt pots but they're a bit on the big side....only thing these days is that since going over to a digi cam (not that I know how to use it properly yet).....don't use so many films so wont get so many empty containers!!....many years ago, my s.i.l's Dad nearly lost an eye to an injury from a cane supporting his dahlias.....it was awful!

Therin lies the problem 'hotpotato'. I too have 'gone digital' recently. Used to have loads of the things about, must've had a clear out at some point as not many to be found. enough for the job in question though.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 16:53:12 »
I use spent cartridges .They are ideal .If you know someone who shoots ask them to save you some.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 23:40:04 »
Little pop or water bottles in this household.  The kids drink plenty of both so mine are topped with them, plus they rattle in the wind, good to frighten the birdies.  

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 12:37:51 »
I've got a few bags of corks left over from when Ian used to make home-made wine, so waste not want not, I  use them for topping my canes!!

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 17:08:38 »
Film canisters are also fantastic for storing your own collected seed, once it is throughly dry - you can even put a little silica gel sachet in with the seeds if you have one spare.

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 08:08:25 »
Bill and Ben the Flowerpot men!!
Mine, (brought to amuse the grandchildren), got damaged in the winds earlier this year and the miniature clay pots were too small to use for anything else - so they look very pretty on top of the canes.
Granny is still your best friend !

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 13:11:10 »
mini bottles of shampoo etc from hotel rooms. (I got loads through my old job!) Or even lids - lids of the bubblebath I use are just perfect, with a bit of blutack to keep it from blowing off.
gone to pot :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 15:20:36 »
Old wine bottle corks with a drilled hole, Champer's corks are great, free from the local bar and makes your lottie neighbours think you're stinking rich and really only have a plot to keep you occupied. Also film cases which I drill a hole through the lid of. Never blows off.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 15:22:27 by kenkew »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 13:30:29 »
I found a eye protector, a real one bought from the shop, at the weekend (I must add that I didn't buy it - previous owners must've). It was too small for the canes. how silly.
gone to pot :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 13:50:39 »
The green one costs around 15p each. The others are free, you just need to drill the size of hole you want.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 19:27:14 »
If you are only 5ft and the canes are 6 and 7 ft you don't have many problems  ;D ;D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 22:18:36 »
Bl**dy H*ll, Wicker.......you just came up with the perfect solution..........get really gert canes!

mellie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 12:30:32 »
Spuds are really good too. Mum gave me some old canes for the lottie this year and they still had last years spuds stuck on the end!!!!
 ;)

flowerbaby_uk

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 19:35:46 »
 wicker being just 5 ft 2 i dont have a prob either ;D but im quite willing to drink lots of vino to get corks ::) just in case i need em of course :P

tedd

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2004, 23:30:45 »
WE save the corks out of wine bottles and then I drill them using a pillar drill. I can do a dozen in a few minutes.

I drill a small hole and then partly counterbore with a larger drill to ensure they fit all sizes of cane.

They do work as I knocked my specs off with one whilst I was weeding. I had forgotten the cane was there and the plants were hiding it.

And of course it gives an excellent reason for opening another bottle.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2004, 22:39:57 »
We and our lottie predecessors have always used corks, but have struggled recently since the pesky wine bottlers moved to plastic ones (hic)  ;D

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2004, 12:52:01 »
I use empty Yakult bottles, as being 6'4" most canes are at or below my eye level! Poking myself in the eye whilst weeding just doesn't bear thinking about!

The bottles haven't blown away yet despite just sitting on the canes, and we've had some seriously windy days! They make a rattling noise which might keep the birds off too.

I've also got a home-made windmill/ bird scarer - drill/poke a hole in the bottom of a pop bottle (carefully, it can be difficult). Cut 4 vertical flaps in the sides and bend outwards to make "fins" (make sure the flaps/fins all point the same way!). Slide the bottle (with cap on) onto a cane so it's spins freely in the wind.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal