Author Topic: Is anyone into foraging  (Read 22329 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Is anyone into foraging
« on: April 06, 2007, 19:26:32 »
I bought a book last year called Food For Free, we used to forage in Canada, berries, mushrooms and on the beach for clams, crabs and oysters. Here we get the cloes, brambles, no crab apples around me and I am nervous of the mushrooms as the species are different,also East Coast where I am there is nothing on the beaches that I know of.

Does anyone else forage for wild food, I would be interested in what and which areas,not your secrets, just geography.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
Re: Is anyone into foraging
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 19:33:49 »
Hi Jeannine,

Hubby and I like a good forage, we always get blackberries, sloes, damsons, sweet chestnuts, filberts and mushrooms - lovely big field ones.  All from within a short walk of home.

If you google "Rogers Mushrooms" you will find the most brilliant fungus identification site, that might make you feel better about hunting shrooms.

Helen

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 19:50:47 »
Helen I have afew good books on mushrooms but there is nothing so sure as having amushroom buddy,I shall enjoy looking at the site though, there doesn't seem to be much in my area which is dissapointing, Thank you for the help

Huntin' and Gatherin' my favourite things.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 20:20:50 »
Hi Jeannine
You may already have it...Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's book "The River Cottage Cookbook" has a sections on Hedgerow food...each includes recipes

wild meat - not for you now you are veggie - including rooks and SNAILS  yuck

hedgerow greens- where to forage, favourite hedgerow greens, herbs and  edible flowers

hedgerow fruit and nuts and fungi of course.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 20:54:04 »
The Jack by the Hedge (Garlic Mustard) is out and up on the lotties at the moment, I cannot get it to transplant or grow from seeds so I am reduced to nibbling bits as I go by...
 ;D

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 21:05:28 »
Foraging, Oh yes

Brambles since childhood and the ones round these parts are the sweetest (not the biggest) we have ever picked.

Elderberry fruit, made some mean wine in the past but in recent years have made Jam and Jelly only, our hedgerows full of mature shrubs / trees, second only to Hawthorne.  

Also a first for us ... Apples growing wild (not wild apples or Crabs) but several varieties of eater and at least two cookers, all at the side of the country lanes (single track) which surround us.
Funny thing ... we noticed one tree, then started driving slower and looking more carefully whenever we used a new route, and discovered lots more. Marked them on large scale map and told no one  ;) ;D

Mushrooms we have never been 'into' due to lack of knowledge and confidence in trusting the books.

Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 21:13:51 »
Nettle tops ;D (had to come back to modify cos I first wrote 'dandelion'......sure tho that dandelion leaves are tender? Tell you what, Jeannine....try them & tell me if I was right ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 21:15:32 by Alishka_Maxwell »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 21:17:46 »
young nettle tops for nettle soup, as advised by robk in recipes  ;D

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 21:39:32 »
Another forager here... :)

wild plums (bullace) and sloes
crab apples
elderflowers (for cordial)
blackberries, of course!
puffball mushrooms although the patch nearby that I used to haunt seems to have died off...
and samphire (when I visit the outlaws on the Suffolk coast)  :P

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 21:45:49 »
I hav e few recipes for nettles , I have never had dandelion but I had a neighbour in Canada who always came  round our acreage to pick them, he was Italian.XX Jeannine

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 21:49:14 »
Young dandelion leaves are lovely in mixed green salads.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 22:06:25 »
We have a lot of countryside nearby. At different times through the year we pick, whinberries, wild strawberries, elderflower, (cob?)nuts, blackberries, raspberries, crab apples, apples from a tree that used to be in an allotment but is now on the edge of a recreation ground, and plums which overhang my friends garden (not really foraging, but free fruit anyway)

cj :)

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 22:54:05 »
Young hawthorn shoots - coming out now in our area - are yummy and meant to be very nutritious  :P

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 23:08:47 »
Me!  ;D  I don't touch mushrooms as I have no idea about any of them, but do enjoy elderflowers and their berries, brambles, crabapples, wild plums, sloes, gages, rosehips, pears (there are a couple in the woods on the common), cobnuts, young nettle shoots and young dandelion leaves.

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 00:03:45 »
We love wild mushrooms and my husband knows all about them. I'm learning. Any apples that aren't on someone's property, wild strawberries, berries, and now I'm going to try dandelions!
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 07:08:13 »
Good grief, my foraging list includes:
Apples, both dessert & crab
Pears, mainly wild but one or 2 dessert types
Sloes, plums, damson and bullace
Blackberry and elderberry
Walnuts and hazelnuts (cobnuts)
Horseradish
Cherries
Rosehips
Have yet to find true quince but am searching  :)
Must admit I do get sad when I hear people say (in the local area anyway) oh, none of that grows around here, and the truth of the matter is that they don't actually take the time to look. I pick as much as I can, and still loads goes to waste.

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 07:15:03 »
I too am into foraging!

I avoid mushrooms because like others I'm not sure about identifying them correctly.

I do get sloes, damsons, blackberries, crab apples, wild plums, other apples, chestnuts and elderflowers.

I haven't yet tried nettles but I'm considering it!

barkingdog

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 07:23:16 »
Dandelion roots for 'coffee'?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 07:43:21 »
Yergh Tim, have you ever tried dandelion roots for coffee? I did once - followed a wartime recipe thing, drying and grinding etc, but it was disgusting  ;D
Mind you, prefer a cup of tea to coffee any day!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 07:54:48 »
Yep me too

favourite hobbies shooting, fishing, gardening and being a "freegan". Hugh Fernley Whittingstall can do no wrong in my book (apart from the prices he charges for things on his website). I live on the edge of a small(ish) town 3 minutes walk gets me in the town centre or open countryside so best of both worlds but would like to be near the sea.

I have a veggie friend who is a mushroom expert who I go shrooming with - best so far are Meadow Wax Caps which are quite rare outside the Peak District.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal