Author Topic: Vegetarian ?? ayone  (Read 5607 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Vegetarian ?? ayone
« on: April 05, 2007, 22:21:16 »
I know this is a dumb question for a gardening forum but I would like to ask how many of you are vegetarian and to what extent eg the real Mcoy or just  non meat eaters etc.

For years I have wanted to switch and never really tried very hard, I would like to ,and am interested in how folks did it, what was the hard part etc.

I thought about trying it half way ,maybe on some days and not others, sort of like stopping smoking. I know at this point it would have to be just cutting out meat, and it will be hard as John is not a big veggie eater.

I am probably nuts at my age, but I do sincerely want to have a go.

Any help, advice very much welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Vegetarian ?? ayone
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 22:58:35 »
I stopped eating meat about 15 years ago & was followed by the rest of the family - one at a time - OH being the last.  We still eat some fish but my main reason for stopping eating it was to do with the conditions the animals were kept in & the disgusting stuff like 'reclaimed meat' - I just didn't want anything to do with it.  Now one can buy meat from animals which have had good lives I wouldn't mind eating it theoretically but actually couldn't do it. 

I found it easy to do - much easier than stopping smoking.  The only time I really miss it is when I small a bacon sarnie but then all veggies say that.  :)

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 00:02:13 »
You know that is my reason too, I have eaten veal for that reason so need to extend it XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:08:34 »
Good on you J  ;D Give it a go Jeannie! I've been veggie for about 15 years and vegan on and off and like Mary I cannot stand to see animals suffer. I collect veggie recipes and can send you a CD with all my recipes if you like. I still have to finish converting some of the documents but It's nearly ready. There is really no need to eat meat, being veggie has made be a better cook!!

PS my mum became veggie a few years ago after the mad cow scare, my dads the only meat eater in the family!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 09:18:26 »
Biscombe that would be lovely,I raelly want to do it,but I guess thats what the heavy smokers sat too.

By the way, my comment about veal should have read I don't eat it!!!I could never  it gives me the shivers thinking about it.

I do have a freezer full of meat though!!

I was at a gathering recently that was veggie and  all the food was great.

Any way day we are having fish, funny to start on Good Friday eh

Thanks for the encouragement. I have afew veggie books as I do cook for veggie friends  so will be reading them to day.

XX Jeannine

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 09:21:57 »
Hi Jeannine,
I have been veggie for about 22 years [so much for it being a 'phase'!] and could not think about eating meat again ever, I do feel healthy and think that I have a great varied diet.  Me husband is not veggie so if he has meat we make sure it is free-range/organic which hopefully ensures the animal has been well cared for.  My philosophy is that I don't eat any thing with a face or a mom[!] so that includes fish/chicken/etc which some 'veggies' do still eat.  I do eat eggs and cheese, again free-range and feel comfortable about that.  Loads of recipes I would be happy to share if you like :) :) :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:27:50 »
I like your idea, and it would be great to aim for but I will blow it if I do it too quickly,so thought at first scrap all  meat but chicken , then drop the cjhcken but keep the fish, then see after that, but I think I will try to drop the chicken in the first flush too. XX Jeannine

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 09:42:39 »
i was veggie for 15 years (since i was 11) last year i was pregnant and started eating meat as it was what i craved i just had to have it. i did feel quilty but baby obviously wanted protein!
i'm b/f at the mo and still eating meat but will go back to being a veggie over the summer when baby is weaned (as a veggie)

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 20:50:04 »
I stopped eating meat about 8 years ago because of the appalling conditions that some animals endure in the name of farming, I still eat fish but not farmed and try to ensure its sustainably caught.  OH eats meat but only if it's had a happy, preferably organic, life.  I don't miss it at all.  Eat eggs, cheese milk etc but organic if at all poss  :)  Go for it Jeannine, I found it so much easier than giving up smoking - 3 weeks of total hell!!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 22:25:14 »
We went veggie, just eating fish for a few weeks , then totally veggie.

A friend of mine looked a veggie recipe one week, and ate that every monday, the next week, she looked for another recipe and ate that every tuesday, and so on. 7 Weeks later, she was eating veggie 7 days a week, and added to her repertoire bit by bit.

I suppose it's got to be an individual thing. Whatever works for you.

Although it seems a really difficult thing, it doesnt take long before it is second nature. My son is vegan, which was a nightmare when he started, but even that is much easier now. We often eat vegan, as it is easier than making different meals.

cj :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 23:38:14 »
Well I managed it Ok today and John  enjoyed it, have been searching for ideas for tomorrow in books but not yet.I can make veggie chilli, I use that Linda Mcartnet Micky Mouse meat,we will see. XX Jeannine

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 13:27:31 »
Jeannine,

Asda do a very nice veggie mince in the frozen food dept. I think it is £1.99 a packet. I usae it to make cottage pie, spaghetti bolognese and curries. I like it much better than the other makes, but that is just a case of personal taste. Have you tried the quorn and mushroom pies, and the Lynda McCartney pies? They are delicious!

Phil is a big fan of Asda veggie Lincolnshire sausage, again, frozen, although I think they are a bit cardboardy.

Holland and Barrett do a frozen polony sausage by Fry's. It is lovely fried, and to me tastes a bit like black pudding, although that could be because I havent had black pudding for years!

cj :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 18:19:07 »
Oh thanks Caroline, I shall try the sausages for sure, and the polony sound useful too.

We have managed to get through day 2.. left over pasta from yesterday with an asparagus omelette and  baby peas. John is not impressed, he covered his omelette in mango chutney because of the aparagus,then he saw my face and ate the lot. What a waste of asparagus, it was the first really good pick too. Picked rhubarb so the crumble sweetened the blow.

A neighbour told me to help myself to PSB which I have never grown, cooked ,or eaten so I feel a stir fry?? coming on.

Not sure how I will do a Sunday dinner without meat yet,might nip up to Asda!!

I know I will quickly run out of ideas from memory,so I need to get a better book. I thought I was well covered for veggie visitors with books but they are really special occasion things and I can't see John going for nut cutlets. He is trying though bless him.

Thanks for the tips, XX Jeannine

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 19:24:06 »
I've been Veggie for 21 years - not so strict now as I used to be - "don't eat anything with a face" is how my OH puts it.  ;D
Never found it difficult to give up, just stopped eating meat and fish, was very strict at 1st, but found eating out a nightmare, how do you tell if Vegetable suet used, or vegetable fats etc, so now, still strict at home, but not when out!
Kathi :-)

Big Al

• Not So New ...
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 19:32:47 »
perhaps I am missing something here.
Why does John have to become a veggie just because you want to?????????

Remember no more bacon sarnies at work Jeannine!!!!!!!!!!

Alan

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 19:57:11 »
just some thoughts from a meat-eating don't really know what I'm talking about person....don't cows have to calve before they produce milk and aren't the calves then taken from them? And aren't milk-cows then needed to be milked twice a day to offload all the milk they produce for the baby they no longer have and are in agony if this isn't done? So if I've got even a bit of this right, why are you 'vegetarians' still drinking milk and eating milk products - the result of on-going cruelty?

Oh! and what happens to the milk cows when they're too old to be a viable commercial proposition?

And what became of their babies?  :'(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 20:08:51 »
Well Hello Big Al,  Shall we tell now. Come on now are you going to tell or am I!!!!

John is supporting me!!!

XX Jeannine

PS How's life int he new shed !!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 20:16:54 »
Lish, you are right, but speaking as a 2 day non meat eater I am no authority, I don't have a problem with milk ,cheese,  butter or eggs, it's the eating bodies that is starting to get to me. It probably won't last and I know I could never be a proper vegetarian, I am not even going to try,I am just trying to stop eating meat. The poor fish are still in jeopardy from me though, so I really don't have much of an arguement actually. I'me  crackers, I agree XX Jeannine

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 20:45:50 »
Didn't mean to imply that I thought you were 'creamed' Jeannine  ;D

Should you stick with it tho, when we get into summer I think that John won't notice the absence of meat? As your plot starts to produce more and more, there are so many meat-free recipes for the veggies you'll be harvesting, speshlly courgettes :P  ;D

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 20:52:29 »
I can't see John going for nut cutlets.

Who can blame him :-X :-X :o

Quorn fillets are great as a replacement for chops or sausages, lemon and black pepper is my fave: http://www.quorn.co.uk/CMSPage.aspx?ssbid=67&pid=17

I also really like the Linda McCartney sausage rolls.

My mum makes a chunky veg stew so filling you don't even miss the meat. Mmm, dumplings.  ;D
You been goofin' with the bees?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal