Author Topic: Care of an Olive Tree  (Read 1085 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Care of an Olive Tree
« on: March 23, 2007, 18:55:10 »
I was given an olive tree in a pot for Christmas.  It's quite a decent size, about 4 feet high, and has been trimmed to form a bush shape on top of the main stem.

After Christmas, I was a bit sad to see that it seemed to be losing a lot of its leaves.  I repotted it in John Innes No 3, and brought it indoors when there was a danger of frost, leaving it on the patio when the nights are milder.  The leaf drop seems to have stopped, but it isn't showing any sign of new growth yet.

Does anyone have any experience of olive trees?  I'd be grateful for any hints and tips!  :)

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Care of an Olive Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 19:44:44 »
Your treatment seems to be about right. While it is still a young plant and easily moved try to overwinter it in the warmest and most sheltered spot available, moving it to its summer position after Easter. At this time check whether the pot is large enough and re-pot if needed. Feed with chicken manure pellets or similar and water frequently during the summer. (Experts will tell you it is an arid plant and does nor require water but a pot is not its natural environment).

If the plant has been recently imported it may have an infestation of olive scale insect. These look like tiny black blisters on the bark or leaves and may be the cause of the leaf drop. If present, rub them out or spray with insectiside.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal