Author Topic: How many seed potatoes  (Read 1502 times)

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
How many seed potatoes
« on: March 22, 2007, 19:44:22 »
Just got my allotment and looking to plant some spuds but don't know what weight to buy.   Looking at online catalogues, they seem to quote 3 or 6kg.  What length of ground would 3kg cover when planted ?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: How many seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 23:20:22 »
It depends, some seed are smaller than others so you get more in your "net" of 3 or 6kg... we plant about 30 kg in rows of about 15... usually get 45 (3 rows) per 3 kg but can get 60...
 :-\

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:17:06 »
Our 3kgs=between 40&60. At 12" apart for earlies, 15" for main but at least 20" for PFA!

24"- 30" between rows.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 09:34:22 »
but at least 20" for PFA!

I have always planted my PFA on the same spacing as maincrop, ie 15 inches ... have I been limiting my crop size ... ?  :(

Derek :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:48:55 »
Don't know - but, since PFA foliage grows to 4+', it surely needs a lot more room than your average variety?

Talk about knitting!!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:55:22 »
3kg takes up a fair bit of land. One of the things I miss about not having allotments anymore is that I now I only grow one or two varieties and then have to throw some seed spuds away.

It was fun when a few of us each bought a bag and then shared-plenty of varieties to try but still only the 3kg space needed

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 13:32:47 »
In old money you get roughly 6 tubers to the pound (.4536 kg) which converts to roughly 13 tubers to the kilo.

Obviously if the tubers are quite large you will get a few less, conversely a few more if quite small.

In terms of rows I work on 1 tuber per foot length i.e. I plant 5 tubers across a five foot wide bed.

If you are growing in long rows you would use about 40 tubers to a 30ft row.

I hope that gives you a better idea.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 01:45:26 »
TG is the man, but we planted a little bit closer at 9" apart  for earlies in a raised bed and results were ok. Will try varied spacing this year to compare. In London so warmer than average and have light sandy soil which drains/drys very quickly so water relatively frequently which means our experience not necessarily relevant :)

Also going to try some earlies in bags this year so as to keep beds available for other crops

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 09:12:00 »
Hi all,
        We planted our main crop (lady balfour), 18" apart,in rows 2`6" apart,allowing plenty of fresh air between the rows,and also giving blight a hard time getting hold of this already resistant variety.
         The crops we`ve had from this variety have been superb ;D,and we would recommend to all.

Best wishes,
                               Mark.
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal