Author Topic: Fuschias = when to cut back?  (Read 3504 times)

Zed42

• Not So New ...
Fuschias = when to cut back?
« on: March 14, 2007, 23:12:49 »
I moved in to this garden 3.5yrs ago ....

We've got lots of lovely fuschias .. each yr I've been cutting them back when they've started to sprout and each year they've been lovely ... if a little late.

When am I meant to cut them back?

And how many years will a fuschia last? Do I need to start thinking about replacing them?

Thanks in advance... :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Fuschias = when to cut back?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 23:35:03 »
Depends really on where you live. If your garden is quite cold then leave it well into march or even early April , just to be safe. If you are in a mild area then I would say around know or maybe in a weeks time should be fine. Even in mild garden (like mine) frosts can cause problems. They might not be cold enough to kill the plants but they can knock back early new growth, and kill the stems back to the base of the plant. OK if you intend to cut hard back, but if you want a larger plant for whatever reason, then this can be a problem. Just remember the old topw growth serves to protect the new shoots.

In my garden my fuschias are always fine without any winter protection, but normaly the top growth kills off the top growth, so they have to grow up from ground level each year. This year the top growth has survived, and is growing away already. It would be nice with some of the plants to leave some of this old growth on to get a bigger plant this year, as it seems  a shame to cut back healthy live growth  on plants that in the main dont grow that big most years. I know though that if I time any pruning wrong, a late hard frost could wreak havoc. Like wise it would be typical if i decided not to cut a couple of plants back, those would be the ones worst affected by such a frost!

I hope this helps a bit.

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 00:01:01 »
As with most things, it depents on the variety.

Ones with tiny flowers (ie Riccartonii or Hawkshead) can just be left alone, only prunig off the dead bits in late spring.

Ones with larger flowers (Phyllis,Genii, Alice Hoffman etc.) should be pruned down to stems, some 6" above ground level in the autumn (ie enough for you to see where the are over winter) and then down to the ground in early spring (now). This will produce a  much bushier plant - ie more flowers.

If unsure try posting to the world fuchsia forum (a google on "fuchsialoversaroundtheworld" will find it. They're helpfull, but do appear to be more interested in each others social life rather than the plants.

When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 16:02:24 »
St georges day is the best day to do it
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 18:06:51 »
Did mine yesterday. But then i am in the hot sunny south!

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 19:10:48 »
Not doing mine this year, cut them very hard back last year and they didn't start flowering until quite late. Thought I would give them a chance this year and see how big they get!
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 23:39:19 »
I have experimented with mine. Some I have cut hard back, others only back to strong shoots part way up the stems. Its unusual for the stems to survive the winter so i am taking the oportunity and with luck get taller plants than normal. They might even flower earlier!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 17:56:59 »
If you get in touch with VEGGIE PERRIN he will tell you how & when he is a Fuschia grower.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal