Author Topic: How much will our rent rise be if  (Read 3675 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
How much will our rent rise be if
« on: February 24, 2007, 14:20:17 »
We have had our AGM today. A recommendation is for an access gate with keys for all plot holders. Our current rent is £20. One concern is the funding of the gate would probably come from the rent. If it were passed what do you reckon our rent increase could be? Has anyone had a huge rent increase after works carried out on your site?

A referendum for plot holders is hopefully gonna be in April. I would probably abstain from voting as my plot does not require access via this barrier due to being on the roadside.

This has come from the local police since the 20 burglary's from our site last weekend.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: How much will our rent rise be if
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 14:24:43 »
Would there need to be an annual increase, can it not be funded from a one off payment shared between all members.

tinker

• Half Acre
  • warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 20:22:53 »
at our allotments we have 3 vegtable sales at the local village hall, everybody gives a bit (we all grow to much anyway) last year we raised £500.  this money is then spent on anything needed and therefore keeping rents down. The current rent for 2007 is £10 a plot!
All good things come to those who wait!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 21:23:35 »
Also, the cost would depend on how many plot holders there are on your site to share the burden.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 23:27:46 »
I don't understand KT. If someone can access the site from the roadside, what good is a gate?
If a gate will secure the whole site, then I think that all plotholders should contribute, but getting the money from every single person would be difficult.
So I suppose raising the rent is one way round that. Seems fair to me.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 23:35:53 »
I don't understand KT. If someone can access the site from the roadside, what good is a gate?
If a gate will secure the whole site, then I think that all plotholders should contribute, but getting the money from every single person would be difficult.
So I suppose raising the rent is one way round that. Seems fair to me.

The gate is to prevent vehicle access for non-plot holders on the private road that runs within  the site. My plot is on the outer edge bordering the queens highway. Money has been agreed from the council already to erect a large fence and concrete gate posts along this boundary. (This took most of last year to get passed by the council, hence this years rise by £5 in April.)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 23:44:54 »
Aah I see. But you will benefit when the whole site is secured by a fencing and a gate?
I wish our council would do that for us. We had to get a lottery grant to enclose the plots and put up all the fence ourselves. We still haven't finished it after 18 months, although it is nearly done now. Before that there was no fencing anywhere.
It's made a difference in that kids and dogs can't just wander onto the plots and we feel more secure.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 23:57:34 »
For the 8 or so plots on this roadside, we will have the fence erected with 2 concrete posts where a gate is to be fixed for access into our plot. It will be our own responsibility to find / build and fix a gate onto these posts. I intend to still keep my inner gate when I do get the outer gate. Only a foot or so gap between them. This fence work agreed does not include a gate for the road.

Most of the recent burglaries must have had vehicles used. Rotavators, petrol equipment. (A year or so prior to me moving to this site, entire sheds lifted & vanished with all the contents still inside! One with hens in! If they just took the shed there would be stuff thrown around the plot - but no - just an empty space.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 23:59:40 by ktlawson »

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 16:50:09 »
I dont not what the rise was as i've only just got our plot and its free for the first year due to its condition, but it is going to be £28 a year.  We do have very secure gates and fences tho so there is not access to non plot holders by car or otherwise. love the idea of a veg sale to raise funds for the association tho i'll ask if ours do anything like it.  Changing the subject to anyones plots have a seed/plant swap scheme organised havent found out if we have yet but thought it would be a good idea and easy to set up with a notice board in the shed or something??  for things like Jerusalem artichokes, comfrey and horseradish well now im listing them any perenials people must have some spares lerking about!

plimsoll plot2

• Quarter Acre
  • Where my heart is
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 17:12:00 »
our rent a year is £38.00  which to sum might seem high but we have a gate ,fence and shop and free to use lawn mowers and strimmers, we have to pay for the use of the rotavtors their £4.00 for as long as u need it that day.

it is quite secure although we have had some breakins, touch wood none of late.
we have around 80 plots on our site.

were my heart is down at the plot

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 13:59:26 »
How about suggesting a combination lock instead of one with keys?  That's what we have and they give out a little laminated card with the number on to all plot holders - much cheaper than having to get keys cut for everyone.
 :)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 14:45:36 »
we've replaced our locks, bar one, with combination locks..means if you forget your keys you can still get on site..mind you, if your memory goes ?  ;D

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 14:51:10 »
Get the number tattooed on your hand?
 ;D
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 15:13:00 »
We have just had a new door with a combination lock, put on the back of our site, and it seems to be working pretty well. It is much easier than keys, as long as people remember to lock it up with the numbers facing the fence so you can see it, that is.  I can't think that sort of security would rate a huge rise seeing as how it is only going to be a one off charge KT. Our association didn't charge us for the new door or the new combination lock, which just came out of general funds. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 15:13:59 »
Sorry what was we talking about. ??? ??? ??? ???
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 16:22:28 »
Plimsoll, sounds like you get good value to me! We pay 18 and get nothing- no water, no shop, no association, no fence,......

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 19:06:29 »
Get the number tattooed on your hand?
 ;D

poor eric was stuck outside the big greenhouse when we arrived, got the number wrong, it's a new one to protect the plug plants we've bought for the sale day   ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 20:41:34 »
I like the idea of a combination lock. I will recommend this at the weekend.

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 17:18:48 »
we pay £7.50 for our plot hence we have two, we get water, vechile access and it's lockable with a key all alloment holders have a key and we also have a gate at the top end which is lockable. our rent hasn't gone up at all from last year, oh and it's all fenced off. we must be lucky ones

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 19:28:13 »
Our rent in Liverpool is £32 including gate with lock (Key deposit £4), water and occasional skips.
From my long experience increases of rent especially low ones are met with howls of anguish. I think you should double the rent and get what you want!

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments3_finding_an_allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal