Author Topic: How much will our rent rise be if  (Read 3676 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: How much will our rent rise be if
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 23:41:32 »
Hi our rent is £41 for each of our 2 plots, we can get a senior discount os 20%.

This at first glance might seem high.

We have a shop, meeting hall with kitchen,toilet blocks.We even have cooking facilities.

We have lockable containers which we can hire as an extra for 25p a month, we do have a comittee, we pay membership into our association annually, I forget how much but only a little.

All proceeds from the shop, raffles etc go towards equipment or similar things, We have a trip to a flowere show ,no charge for the bus, but you pay your own entry.

We have water troughs down one side of the road that runs through, they are very 4th plot.

They are currently fitting me a hose connection due to a disablity

The whole site is high fenced with high lockable gates, every plottie has a key.

Water, electricity in the hall is all included in our annual fee.

I think this is not expensive considering our facilities

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 23:48:11 »
There are water locations on our site. But - the location of my plot does not allow water access like all the other plots have. It is a 10-15 minute round trip from my plot to the tap as my access is from the main road . All other plots are 2 minutes max each way. There are 6 plots in this same predicament. Think I will ask the committee for a tap down our end tomorrow....... see whats said.....

Rent is still cheap compared to what some others seem to be paying.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

John_Pearce

• Not So New ...
  • Grow, grow, grow
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 17:26:11 »
Hiya

£41 doesn't seem very expensive at all with all those facilities.  The holy grail of a toilet block and cooking facilities.  You could almost live in a shed with those facilities during the summer (perfect for those slug hunting by torchlight evenings)  :)

We have water, a ladies only chemical toilet and that's about it.  We poor gents have to just hold on.

And all for the princely sum of £15 per rod per year, so my 6 rod plot is £90 per year now.  Don't know if anybody knows of anywhere more expensive than Wandsworth but would be delighted to know.

John

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 21:25:15 »
I wouldn't use a toilet if we had one. What a waste of good fertiliser!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 21:30:54 »
we pay 50.00 for a half plot now, 25 for the club, 25 for the allotment association, it was that or walk..for that, we get no facilities, not even a road to bring stuff in..we've fenced everywhere with our grant, paved it all with money we had in the kitty, we buy compost out of the association fees, when we get permission to bring it between the pitches, we've piped water up via hoses and stands all around the site..so, your 'landlords' aint so bad, after all  ;D

*Mia*

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 21:51:46 »
Blimey i can't believe the difference in prices/facilities in different area's.  There is a massive difference!

I have only had mine for a week but i pay £20 a year.  Occasionally the council bring either manure down or some other stuff that i cant remember lol  We have taps every 3 plots (the water wasnt working when i first got there tho) but i think thats it.

Although the tennents rep is fab!  He has a tractor and will plough and rake your plot, or do anything else you ask him too!  He has a fab set up too!  He has 3 plots and on one he has a huge shed wth a kitchen and dining area!!!  His missus brings up the meat and they eat straight from the ground, in the shed!  The smells wafting round are divine!

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 00:31:15 »
You lucky people! I'm so envious.
We pay £38 per plot and for that we get absolutely nothing except water. We had to get a lottery grant to fence our plots. Our council takes the rent from self managed sites and gives back just 15% of the total rents for the allotment associations to run them. Because our site is 'managed' by the council we pay our rents and get nothing back at all.
Is it usual that the council keeps such a large percentage of the rents on self-managed sites?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 07:30:07 »
We pay £38 per plot and for that we get absolutely nothing except water.

You get water! We dont even get that, but at about £7 for a large plot, I suppose I cant complain ::)

cj :)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 08:16:50 »
Was it Monty Python who did the sketch where 3 or 4 blokes tried to outdo each other in terms of how hard life was when "they were a lad"?

Allotmenteers from the early to mid 19th century will be shaking their heads in the graves as we debate that well-worn topic that is the allotment rent.

In their day the annual rent was roughly the equivalent of one week's pay for a plot that was up to a quarter of an acre .. and there were still long waiting lists .. and remember that we are generally talking about the poorest sections of society.

Using that basis and the current average weekly wage figure I estimate that the rent of a 10 pole plot would now be around £115.

Oh .. and no water of course .. and the plot will be an average of 3/4 mile away from your home .. and needless to say you will have to walk there .. and as for a shop!?! .. and a club!!!!

Moving on from the bah humbug tone .. we pay £20 for approx. 8.5 poles (two small plots). The site has a locked gate and a reasonable water supply.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 08:21:32 by BAK »

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 08:18:28 »
Hi,
We pay £12.50, we have a half plot. No facilities, but low outer fencing.
There are 30 plots at our site, with 2 water supplies.
No sheds allowed, which is a pain for having to bring tools everytime, but its an allotment, and we can grow our veggies, so we are happy.
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 16:43:57 »
There are water locations on our site. But - the location of my plot does not allow water access like all the other plots have. It is a 10-15 minute round trip from my plot to the tap as my access is from the main road . All other plots are 2 minutes max each way. There are 6 plots in this same predicament. Think I will ask the committee for a tap down our end tomorrow....... see whats said.....

Asked the committee at a meeting - and got blown out the water. No chance, no funding, too expensive & they are on a water meter already so wont add anymore. -  If wanted to dig by hand 2 foot deep channel from a tap around allotments to our track
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal